Thomasons northwich

BVU 40T
Thomasons Saviem
Merseyside Foods
Bootle
28 April 1987

That tag looks ■■■■■■

I think I remember being in there at one time late 80,s I think if it’s the same place the transport was gone but the cold store was still operating, did they do a lot of Distrubition for Irish frigo men dropping of there odd pallets for onward Distrubition,
The ruff lane seems to ring a bell and ruff old yard too , something tells me it was on its last legs then could of been early 90,s

7 May 1987
Christian Salvesen Droitwich Spa Depot
a Sainsbury RDC
MTJ 633S
‘Fair Isle’ Another Thomason Saviem.
The 2 guys passing are Salvesen drivers.

pyewacket947v:
7 May 1987
Christian Salvesen Droitwich Spa Depot
a Sainsbury RDC
MTJ 633S
‘Fair Isle’ Another Thomason Saviem.
The 2 guys passing are Salvesen drivers.

My old man worked for thomasons in the mid 80’s

transportphotos.com/road/photos

Stanfield:
http://www.transportphotos.com/road/photos

I thought that this one had been retro-fitted with a TR305 bumper, but the lamps are different in those:

berliet-tr-305-08.jpg

Suedehead:
That tag looks [zb].

Looks like it’s had the back end of a Scania bolted on.

chipliner:
I think I remember being in there at one time late 80,s I think if it’s the same place the transport was gone but the cold store was still operating, did they do a lot of Distrubition for Irish frigo men dropping of there odd pallets for onward Distrubition,
The ruff lane seems to ring a bell and ruff old yard too , something tells me it was on its last legs then could of been early 90,s

They went bust in 1997

Stanfield:
http://www.transportphotos.com/road/photos

Thanks for the pic I’d not seen that before

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THOMASONS FROM NORTHWICH,THEY RAN SAVIEMS ON FRIDGE TRAILERS,MY DAD WORKED THERE IN ABOUT 85,THEY USED DO A LOT OF OVER SEA’S STUFF IN THE 70’S ,ALSO LATER ON LOTS LONDON WORK ,THEY WERE ALWAYS IN THE ECHO COLD STORE IN LONDON,AS WERE CATTO’S AT THE TIME DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY PIC’S?

Hi GAZ70,
I remember Thomasons of northwich, didn’t they run scania 112s after the saviems… recall seeing a pic of one on the net somewhere, i’ll have a look !
Heres one i borrowed off the net to start with…

GUNNER YOU HAVE DONE IT AGAIN,ANOTHER ACE PIC,MY DAD ALSO DROVE FOR THOMO’S IN THE MID 80’S AFTER LEAVING HARRIS’S,I WENT WITH IN THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS TRAMPING EVERY WHERE,THE SAVIEM WAS A VERY GOOD MOTOR ,BUT THOMO’S ALWAYS HAD A SPARE UNIT ON A LOW LOADER READY TO BRING OUT TO A BREAKDOWN,I REMEMBER GOING TO THE ECHO COLD STORE IN LONDON FOR THE FIRST TIME AND WAS SHOCKED TO SEE ABOUT 10 OTHER THOMO’S TRUCKS ALL READY TO LOAD ,A VERY BUSY PLACE AT THE TIME,ANY WAY THANKS FOR PIC GUNNER,ALL THE BEST .

GAZ70:
GUNNER YOU HAVE DONE IT AGAIN,ANOTHER ACE PIC,MY DAD ALSO DROVE FOR THOMO’S IN THE MID 80’S AFTER LEAVING HARRIS’S,I WENT WITH IN THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS TRAMPING EVERY WHERE,THE SAVIEM WAS A VERY GOOD MOTOR ,BUT THOMO’S ALWAYS HAD A SPARE UNIT ON A LOW LOADER READY TO BRING OUT TO A BREAKDOWN,I REMEMBER GOING TO THE ECHO COLD STORE IN LONDON FOR THE FIRST TIME AND WAS SHOCKED TO SEE ABOUT 10 OTHER THOMO’S TRUCKS ALL READY TO LOAD ,A VERY BUSY PLACE AT THE TIME,ANY WAY THANKS FOR PIC GUNNER,ALL THE BEST .

No probs GAZ, thats whats great about this site, swappin nostalgia between like minded lorry nuts,(me more than anyone) :laughing: . I used to tramp a lot with my grandad & stepdad in the 70s/80s school hols. Did your old mans Saviem have the column change on it ?. Where abouts was Thomasons yard ?

Hi GAZ70,
Found this gem,thats a V8 badge, looks suspiciously like a 141. And i do believe thats a Saviem just out of shot to the right. Enjoy… :sunglasses:

hello gunner,yes the saviem’s at thomo’s were colum change,the cab as you guess will know were just like a m.a.n,double bunk’s,with plenty of room,as for the yard they based just off chapel street in wincham,northwich down a very,very,rough track full pot holes,the yard was a fairly big concern with it’s own cold store,and at there peak were running 25+ motors,i was going to mention the scania’s but you have already found a cracking pick of one,i also remember a scania 111 with a kysor air con unit on the roof,which as i remember harked back to the days of continental runs,any way gunner thanks for the pic’s,your a star ,all the best gaz.

Hi there are a couple of photos on Northwest trucks i sent Paul one of a Scania in Trafford Park Regards Mike.

the lad who drove the 141 was called jeff, i used to see him a lot in smithfield. when thomasons finished he went to norberts on the powder tankers