South West Scotland

I see Davy has a new DAF tipper. Very smart.

hodgeturbo:
davie lauder in morrinton quarry

Erfguy, I remember seeing bonneted Scammells with fixed artic tankers on super single tyres that bounced all over the road in Unigate livery and running out of Tarf Creamery in the mid to late 60s. Can you not remember them ■■ Cheers Leyland 600.

Hi, I was the Mechanic at Tarff Creamery For a couple of years, in the early sixties. The fleet consisted of two Scammell artic’s pulling 3500 gallon tanks and eight TK bedford’s with scammell couplings pulling 1700gall single axle tanks. There was also an old petrol engined Albion four wheeled platform that was used to carry the whey barrels from the creamery to the pigery fields to await collection by Hermand Tideswells fleet of aec’s for delivery to crewe.
The scammells were double shifted and when the creamery closed down over the winter they went down south to work and returned in the spring they were painted in united creameries colours.
The bedfords were also double shifted in the summer but parked up during the winter when they had their annual overhall All the vehicles were owned by Mickleover Transport which was part of the Unigate Group. regards Jamie.

Hi M&C Good to know that someone else remembers those old Scammells in the 60, at that time I was running a Foden S 21 8 wheeler hauling farm feeding stuffs from Silloth and cement from Whitehaven, back loading from Solway Precast at Creetown with Safticurbs for the M6 motorway and A 74 between Gretna and Penrith. Used to deliver to Irvings farm just up past Tarff Creamery almost opposite Hayton Coulthards house. Geo Jardine from CD is a good friend as we often worked alongside each other on fertilizer and precast concrete work. My those old Scammell trailers could certainly bounce when running empty. I never knew what the H initial stood for on Tideswell,s AEC after all these years until now. Davie Patterson who worked at Tarff Valley had an aunt who lived next door to my parents in Wigton.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hello Gerald it would be early 50s my dad worked at Largs farm on the other side of the road at Tarff creamery and I think they had two Scammells.I remember a Vulcan belonging to BRS loaded with fish from somewhere in wigtownshire landed in the pond on the Twyholm side of the creamery during the night and luckily his mate was behind him and manged to hold his head above the water till somebody eventually stopped to help it was recovered the next day by a Caledonian wrecker from Dumfries. Eddie.

Hi E, Aye the Largs farm I couldn,t remember the name, the pond you mention I think was just below the creamery on the same side or did you mean at Valleyfield Farm just before the Tarff road end as there was a large pond there. Will you be a Carlisle Border Steam Fair tomorrow ? Cheers Leyland 600

Anyone remember a firm Peter Duncan,? they ran a lot of 6 wheeler Albions Brown motors as I recall, did a lot of Agg Lime at one time, around Ayrshire, I think they did some work for a firm called Soil Fertiliteys at St Quivox, any photos about ? Regards Larry, PS This was the 70s Era.

Aye Laurence they went back a fair bit ran tippers and flats, in the sixties they did a lot for SAI at Ayr

Thank you ERFGUY, Its a nice photo, Regards Larry

M&C Jamie:
Hi, I was the Mechanic at Tarff Creamery For a couple of years, in the early sixties. The fleet consisted of two Scammell artic’s pulling 3500 gallon tanks and eight TK bedford’s with scammell couplings pulling 1700gall single axle tanks. There was also an old petrol engined Albion four wheeled platform that was used to carry the whey barrels from the creamery to the pigery fields to await collection by Hermand Tideswells fleet of aec’s for delivery to crewe.

Evening all, Herman Tideswell, probably one of the most knowlegable AEC men you could ever meet, ran a superb AEC fleet, from probably the coldest garage in England, only matched by Scotlands J&A Smith`s refrigerated workshops at Maddiston, (by Falkirk), Cheerio for now.

Vehicle operated by D J Landsborough Jnr, the photo has D J Landsborough Snr adopting the pose. Photo taken on Walton summit Ind Est Bamber Bridge.

i remember some livestock hauliers ,johnstones of eaglesfield,grahams of kirkpatrick fleming,coplands of beattock think they are all gone now though :frowning:

aye there were some good looking livestock companies,auld joe copland had some really good looking wagons in the 60s (highland Mary photo was up in Lanark mart for yrs.,A Smith & sons Lockerbie had a fleet o LAD Rievers,1 Hippo was a single drive :unamused: ,couple o chieftans. trucks were Maroon with gold lettering.and all had names on headboard starting wi Golden …arrow,eagle,plover,oriol…
thats all i can mind …drivers names are /were written on the wall of the black shed(inside) oppposite the lockerbie creamery at PRiestdykes farm. my late dads among them :cry: :cry: i was brought up at priestdykes 60–late 70s. ALSO Buchananans of AE bridge nice looking fleet.
even the Tag team wi the old Atki.6x4 float.
jimmy.

Hello Jimmy I am no sure but I think that Atki was originally operated by someone in Auldgirth and they ran the Atki and something else mainly on floats and I think when they packed up the motors were sold to the TAG TEAM ask around some of your connections.

By the way I have met Wullie Duff a couple o times in Dumfries and he is very deppresed ower loosing his wife there must have been something happened at the hospital prior to her death as he said he was on the way to a meeting with his lawyer as her death should’nt have happened.

How’s things are you still enjoying it out there.
Eddie.

Eddie can you remember a haulage firm from Ayr, I think their name was Adam Wilson, hauled a lot of timber if my mems is correct, I used to deliver pig iron to a foundry on the same Ind Est, as they opperated from, 70s era, Regards Larry.

Hello Lawrence aye and as far as I know they are still on the go here’s a couple o photos of them. It would be the Stampworks you would be in Oswald Transport was the haulier in and out of there and they later became part of GKN and then Maxi took them. Eddie.

ADAM WILSON 1.jpg

Great photos Eddie, They used to advertize return loads at one time in the Headlight Mag I think, Regards Larry.

Hi Erf guy, Here is a photo of Tarff Creamery a long time ago before the days of the Scammells. courtesy of Hugh (magoo) Can you remember George Jardine with his LAD Chieftain from Kirkpatrick Durham when he carried livestock when not on flatwork. George tells the tale of going to the farm you mention to pick up half a load of beasts for CD mart then when loaded he turned right out the lane towards Gatehouse to pick up some more cattle. The farmer was following in a Land Rover shot past him and stopped demanding to know where he was going , he reckoned he was paying for the wagonload, however he was informed that he was only being charged for half a load, not good enough he wanted sole use use at half price? G promptly let the cattle out on the road pointing him in the direction of CD.
Cheers, Leyland 600.
Tarff Creamery..jpg

Hello Gerald
Well there was’ny a lot o diffrence when we were there in the fifties looks the same but with the road at the front and the burn at the back they were snookered for expansion.We did’nt go to Biggar this year so missed you this year. Eddie.

Do anybody remember a Haulage Contractor by the name Lockerbie Transport.
This was one of their b series E.R.F 240 Gardner, LSW 807R.