Cheshire Hauliers

FODENMAN:
Not too sure about a Vic Wild connection with those Gleaves, but I think there’s another Gleave family at Nantwich that show a nice old Sentinel steamer, so maybe something to do with them?.
The brother of Reg Stevens aka R,H,Stevens of Macclesfield is / was Fred Stevens, who later changed the company, or name of the company to STD Transport, the last time I had dealings with them they were on the Ind Est in Congleton, having moved there from Lime Green in Macc and were running Iveco units.

Some other Cheshire hauliers from the past;

S,C, Fernyhough, Swythamley, recently died.
John and Tom Bayley, Macclesfield,
Alan Egerton, Rushton Spencer,
Ryders of Rushton,
Edwards of Hull (Middlewich),
Bill Banks, Congleton, (His son now operates from Sandbach),
Dane Valley Haulage, Bosley.

John.

Hiya… was’nt there a chap called Flack in Macclesfield he had dark blue ERF’s infact he had a EX malcon harrison’s
own fleet wagons EEH196J if i recall right.
now who was that company just outside congleton on the A34 where the Dinner at 8 is…they had two tone blue ERF’s
i think they did some Ireland work.
there was Jack Gibson…Ray Gibson …george Imber …Alan Brown…Dean bros all in the Timbersbrook and Congleton area
Oakes millars also in congleton…has George Rhodes from Biddulph had a mention
John

Hiya …just sitting letting the grey matter do its thing…woosh a sudden rush of blood …sheard sand Congleton
a fleet of red KV ERF 8 leggers…they also had the builders merchant nr the homes chapel road juction which is
now jewsons…Paul sheard has a car garage about a mile along the road towards newcastle he’s one of the sons
John

Hiya …working overtime was’t that firm on the A34 called Dicksons or Dickensons two tone blue ERF’s
with red chassis…
John

3300John:
has George Rhodes from Biddulph had a mention
John

Weren’t they the Renault main dealers■■?

Ben9:

3300John:
John

Hiya yes your right …I had my first motor bike of them in 65 i think it was a trade in for a car.
george rhodes run a fair fleet at one time all ERF,s i think…they used to do cornwall with heinz
food if iam correct.someone will help out now its been mentioned.
John

3300John:

Ben9:

3300John:
John

Hiya yes your right …I had my first motor bike of them in 65 i think it was a trade in for a car.
george rhodes run a fair fleet at one time all ERF,s i think…they used to do cornwall with heinz
John

he also has a share in lowe & rhodes caravans on victoria rd fenton, his haulage opperation was called pupark or something like that, i remember making a few sheets for him back in 87 ,88 , & belive it or not old george is still about, in his 80s now.

cheers
gaz

tetragaz:

3300John:

Ben9:

3300John:
John

John

he also has a share in lowe & rhodes caravans on victoria rd fenton, his haulage opperation was called pupark or something like that, i remember making a few sheets for him back in 87 ,88 , & belive it or not old george is still about, in his 80s now.

cheers
gaz

George Rhodes is still about i bought a car if him recently . pupark was nothing to do with George Rhodes .it was owned by Bob Parkingson and Percy pue who i think are both no longer with us.oh and biddulph is in stoke -on trent .not Cheshire :wink:

the flying foden:

tetragaz:

3300John:

Ben9:

3300John:
John

John

cheers
gaz

George Rhodes is still about i bought a car if him recently . pupark was nothing to do with George Rhodes .it was owned by Bob Parkingson and Percy pue who i think are both no longer with us.oh and biddulph is in stoke -on trent .not Cheshire :wink:

hi jeff

how you keepin mate, well i tell you what, you learn summat new everyday, did they used to run from rhodes garage. if so thats where i’m gettin mixed up :blush: .

but i do remember makin a few sheets for george though, cause i remember him jogging all the way up to chesterton to bring my gaffer the cheque for em, then the gaffer gave him a lift back to biddulph in stoke on trent, lol :laughing:

cheers
gaz

tetragaz:

the flying foden:

tetragaz:

3300John:

Ben9:

3300John:
John

John

cheers
gaz

hi jeff

how you keepin mate, well i tell you what, you learn summat new everyday, did they used to run from rhodes garage. if so thats where i’m gettin mixed up :blush: .

but i do remember makin a few sheets for george though, cause i remember him jogging all the way up to chesterton to bring my gaffer the cheque for em, then the gaffer gave him a lift back to biddulph in stoke on trent, lol :laughing:

cheers
gaz

hello gaz doing ok thanks still earning a crust . i think they did park at Rhodes . or down the gas works in biddulph were Percy had his garage … they ran 2 FL 10s on tipper work as far as i can remember
regards jeff

the flying foden:

tetragaz:

the flying foden:

tetragaz:

3300John:

Ben9:

3300John:
John

John

cheers
gaz

hi jeff

cheers
gaz

hello gaz doing ok thanks still earning a crust . i think they did park at Rhodes . or down the gas works in biddulph were Percy had his garage … they ran 2 FL 10s on tipper work as far as i can remember
regards jeff

yep thats what i remember, blue i think they were, i always thought as they were george’s.

you still got your 2 rotty’s mate.

cheers
gaz

3300John:
Hiya… was’nt there a chap called Flack in Macclesfield he had dark blue ERF’s infact he had a EX malcon harrison’s
now who was that company just outside congleton on the A34 where the Dinner at 8 is…they had two tone blue ERF’s
there was Jack Gibson…Ray Gibson …george Imber …Alan Brown…Dean bros all in the Timbersbrook and Congleton area
John

Hi John

The company behind PECKS Dinner at 8 on the A34 was DIXONS TRANSPORT.
Ran a powder blue fleet of mainly ERF A Series on steel and glass.
TM was Johnny Pugh ex Carmans/Brit European

The reason I know is that my dad - Arthur Sproston - wnet there for about 4-6 months.
Both he and Johnny returned to Carmans.

The Irish connection was with an owner driver called McKenna IIRC.
He ran an F88/89 in the same colours.

Steve

SSPROS1965:

3300John:
Hi John

The reason I know is that my dad - Arthur Sproston - wnet there for about 4-6 months.

Hiya thanks for the info…have you seen the book about north staffs hauliers
there’s a couple of pages on ronny carman quite a good little read
John

SSPROS1965:

3300John:
John

Hi John

Steve

now theres two names from the past . johnny pugh a man of few word on the phone and very rare a smile .bless him .
Arthur sproston always thought your dad was a good bloke .him and Phil cox a couple of lifes characters . :laughing:

Hiya …anyone mentioned Harris transport from Cranage…he had 4 wheeler leylands dark blue and cream
after he finished Steven Iram moved in with grey scania’s with yellow computer type writing on the curtains
better mention Nidge Partridge with his volvo sand tankers who thought he would have made it.
and we have Mal Sample he still runs a couple from summerford.
massey’s feeds holmes chapel and Jacksons who used to do sea route ferries from Holmes chapel where
Berresfords food was at one time.
John

Percy Jones, Little Sutton, Wirral!

IMG_0007.jpg

Hi there

When looking around on the internet I found these sites with good photos.

Brit European/Carmans flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 774892159/

BIS Congleton & Chelford Quarries flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 352876335/

Elsby flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 421818718/

Arclid Transport flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 345561457/

Cheshire Hauliers flickr.com/groups/1668200@N23/

and lots of others on the site too.

Hope you enjoy them.

Steve

nice to see digger Barnes trabant on the brit euro link :laughing:

HI CHRIS WEB .Just looking at your site abount THE POPS we bought two of there old old FODENS s 40 cabs with 240 gardeners .ONE WAS a day CAB K L G 201 L and GLG 7 2 1 K which was a sleeper cab they used on contenetal work .I Was told it was running to JORDAN and they called the cab the same name .WE also bought a FODEN S 40 day cab 240 gardener ex P-OCHINS IT WAS alowloader for them it was immaculate REG NO K L G 400 L met a fatel end rolled over in JOHNSTOWN nr WREXHAM .SO we put the engine and gear box into G L G 7 2 1 K have lots of photos but dont no how to put them up REGARDS BARRY WAD.

Fatmanstratman:
Hi everyone - my first post here, so please forgive a newbie!

TThanks to the marvels of the internet, I spotted this particular thread whilst looking for something completely non-related.

I’m neither a driver or an owner, but if anyone is interested, I can probably supply a some information & pictures etc. regarding LEWIS BROTHERS of Cuddington, which used to be situated on Norley Road next to Cuddington Station. My mum Mary used to work at the telephone exchange, and fondly remembers that the old telephone number for the company used to be Sandiway 146 (how times have changed!).

My dad, Roy Williams, was Transport Director at Lewis’s, from after the war until it was taken over by LSM (Lime Sand Mortar) and subsequently Thomas Tilling (which then became TILCON, in the late 60s). After the owner and his wife, ALAN & PHYLIS LEWIS retired to Anglesey in 1951, he ran the business with fellow director (Sales & Marketing) Derek Tompkinson (now deceased), and I spent many, many happy hours both in the yard and at the sand pits in Cheshire which they used to own. I recall that the two main pits were on the Tarporley Road and at Pettypool (near Whitegate?). Derek was married to Alan’s sister Florence (Flo). Alan’s daughter Sylvia (coincidentally married to John Lynch of LYNCH TRANSPORT, mentioned earlier in this thread) also used to work at the company.

Their fleet was mainly Fodens (for the 8 wheelers) and Bedford TKs for the smaller stuff. Their livery was cream cabs with dark green bodies (does anybody remember the little slogan on the back of their trucks? “Yes - another load of washed pit sand!” - my dad came up with that and was really proud of it… heh heh!). I also used to see other trucks in the yard belonging to a company called CHESHIRE SAND, who had mainly Bedfords with light green cabs and dark green bodies.

The fitter who used to keep all the trucks on the road was Eric Bennett - now 88 and still alive, living with his wife Barbara in Sandiway. Eric was Alan’s brother-in-law.

The only drivers’ names I can remember (it was a long time ago!) were Herbert Cliff, and Alan’s brothers-in-law, Doug & Ron Bennett. As you will gather, it truely was a “family business”.

I also recall that the fleet used to contain a number of Atkinson 8 wheelers, and at least one Albion. At one time, some of the really old Bedfords still had wooden cabs!

When the business was sold to LSM, all the trucks were painted a creamy white colour, with the circular badge containing a trowel in the middle with the letters LSM around it. Once Thomas Tilling took over, the trucks then sported the familiar light blue and burgundy livery with the TILCON logo along the side.

The washed pit sand was pumped out from the ground with water, which then drained back into the pit and the clean sand was dried before being transported. One abiding memory was when they needed to break through the layer of hard clay to get to the sand underneath, so my dad called in the legendary Derek “Blaster” Bates to do the job. He made everybody laugh so much the old man went straight out and bought one of Blaster’s LPs. It contained some pretty saucy stuff and I wasn’t allowed to listen to it, so I used to wait until they’d gone out before playing it on the old stereogram. That LP still makes me laugh to this day.

Anyway - I’ve rambled on enough. I hope this may bring back memories to some of you old 'uns, and if there’s anything else you can add I’d love to hear it. I know my dad kept lots and lots of photos of the fleet (local photographer and family friend Lawrence Sands used to line up all the trucks at one of the pits each year for a fleet photograph), but I fear that when he was moved to Tilcon’s office in Harrogate, many of the photos may have been thrown away. I’ve asked my mum to see if she can find any of them, and if she does I’ll scan them and post them here.

If anyone happens to remember my dad Roy, he’s still alive (he’s almost 88) but the poor old lad has fallen victim to Alzheimers and now lives in a home in Ripon, Yorkshire. His room contains several photos of his Lewis Brothers and Tilcon days, along with a few Corgi-sized trucks which he had painted in the full Tilcon livery all those years ago. Up to a couple of years ago he could recall nearly every truck he’d ever bought, along with 90% of the drivers who ever worked with him.

Nostalgia? Nah… it’s a thing of the past… :wink: