Albion Reiver + Others

Hi…
Here’s a picture of my Dad’s old Reiver…Worked out of Monsanto in Ruabon mainly running to the various steelworks in South wales…
This was his second Reiver…1st one had a LAD cab Reg 4001 UN…

Regards
Brad 4

ALBION.jpg

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Jalfrezi:

Stanfield:
Hi Dave Here’s another photo of the LAD Albion you posted last.Before it had the spotlamps fitted.

JOHN.

I think when this Reiver was first restored it was in Smith of Maddiston livery.

I thought I reconised this Reiver! I think it was owned by someone from W.■■■■■■■ and was liveried A & E Morris the Birmingham subsiduary of Smith of Maddiston.Bewick.

Looks like a Birmingham number on it now tou have pointed out the connection Dennis.
Cheers Dave.

When new that would have been registered in West Bromwich.

I spent most o the 60s school holidays sitting on the engine hump o a reiver ,wi my dad driving .3 decks of sheep up /down as far as Lairg and across to the company farms across the Borders to Granthouse ,Lanark & Gorgie markets…Reivers,Chieftans & a single drive Hippo lol,this was for A Smith and Sons Lockerbie,the forerunner of LTL (lockerbie transport).
THe workshops were at Priestdykes Farm now opposite the Cheese factory.still can see the gantry for lifting of the bodies…if you look in the black shed .all the drivers names from late 50s ,60s are/were written on the plasterboard to the right…
after passing my test in 81 ,i drove G cabbed,clydsdales & reivers.
best days o my life…
jimmy.

Here’s one from one of my old firms in the 70s,they ran a fleet of around 2 dozen of these and the LADs at the time.

BRAD4:
Hi…
Here’s a picture of my Dad’s old Reiver…Worked out of Monsanto in Ruabon mainly running to the various steelworks in South wales…

Regards
Brad 4

that looks evil stuff, “Phenol Sulphonic Acid”. :open_mouth:

grumpy old man:

BRAD4:
Hi…

Regards
Brad 4

that looks evil stuff, “Phenol Sulphonic Acid”. :open_mouth:

Fairly stable brown crystals, apparently. ADR UN2585 8/PG3.

( yes, I AM bored…)

Two newish Gilbraith Tankers Reivers on Ribble cement contract and two battered Reivers from the general side of Gilbraith’s, two separate firms eventually.

Russell.

Reiver just been dug out in snow after being loaded with sugar beet] and this one on a brighter day.

shirtbox2003…There is this thread on Albions.Just added this photo to bring it back to life for you.

Couple more,same truck when new and in service.Think it had leyland 375 engine,had 8 stud front hubs when new but my Dad changed them for 10 stud to make it 20ton gross? Stayed in fleet till 1980 ish doing 2/3 loads a day fetching wheatfeed from Smiths flour mill at Walsall back to mill at Wolverhampton sold to a farmer at Ditton Priors for carting grain from combine to grain store. ps.in 2nd pic looks like she on 10 stud front hubs,and thats my Dad by front wheel

In Aus the Albion Reiver was a bit of an oddball, built to a price with no front steps, small bumper bar, really cheap cab interior.
Leyland 400 engine, 5-speed main box and perhaps an under/over/direct joey box?
I don’t remember seeing any 10-stud wheel jobs and I note some of the photos posted are both 8 and 10-stud?
Didn’t the power divider for their tandem drive run two prop shafts?

cargo:
In Aus the Albion Reiver was a bit of an oddball, built to a price with no front steps, small bumper bar, really cheap cab interior.
Leyland 400 engine, 5-speed main box and perhaps an under/over/direct joey box?
I don’t remember seeing any 10-stud wheel jobs and I note some of the photos posted are both 8 and 10-stud?
Didn’t the power divider for their tandem drive run two prop shafts?

You right it did have a 400 in and yes there were 2 props out of transfer box,here is invoice for pictured truck

Heres one i found

Thanks John,but this site is mainly Reivers,I was looking for all Albions from day 1 to the last one made, do you have any pics or info etc. regard,s, Jack.

Reiver,fleet no.34,fitted with a 7’ 6" wide body off an Albion CX7,also pic of same truck in loading bay with a clydesdale,morris fg and rear end of leyland bison for company

A brand new Super Reiver which was a gorgeous looking wagon - in the black & white shot it’s newly delivered with polythene still on the seats.

Unfortunately she was heavy & slow (underpowered) and the word was “couldn’t pull your hat off!”

Albion Super 1.jpg

albion reiver about 1967 ,A Smith & sons ,was based at Priestdykes farm Lockerbie. my Dad driving.

I have to ask the question Gardner 120, how did the ERGO cabin tilt with that box structure mounted above it?
I’m guessing there was enough space but it sure looks tight.

cargo:
I have to ask the question Gardner 120, how did the ERGO cabin tilt with that box structure mounted above it?
I’m guessing there was enough space but it sure looks tight.

Have closer look at it the front of the bodyit appears to be detachable IMO, Regards Larry.