READ a Family in Transport

Really must keep up with this forum :blush: Found this link of the George Read thread.Such memories.That awfull Dodge that Ivor bought,MVJ 681 was the first new 8 wheeler in the forest.Richard caught a driver one day with a stick and carrot stuck out of the windscreen of it,not amused :frowning: The twin steer ERF tractor had a Rolls in PDF and was the one I chose when I tipped the odd load of coils to Birmingham on nights,ooh that flame pulling up Frankley :slight_smile: Happy days.And ROF them Reads always had a bloody Matador somewhere. :laughing:

You LOVED those Matadors really! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Well I have just been on a nostalgia visit to Richard Reads.Young George.s son took me round with a driver who used to be my mate on the spanners on our late shift.How things have changed :unamused: MOT,station etc.I saw the ERF with the Gardner 4LK that I rebuilt.David James in the transport office.I asked young Richard who was responsible for those ugly yank trucks,he said that he was because he likes them. :slight_smile: His son drives one of the breakdown trucks.He also thought the old Douglas was an awfull. :astonished: Some bloke called Casey was mentioned but I said he had been talking about dead bears and pigs on a wall so his card has been marked :slight_smile: Later in the day I called at Steam Mills to look at a bridge over a stream.I made it 40 years ago out of second hand tubes.Talked to a couple of local lads who told me that Richard Reads lorries were in a film involving Littledean Jail. The film had Whiplash as part of the title.Later in the day I met up with another old mate who was the mechanic for Geoff Harris.

Any mention of bears and pigs has surely been taken completely out of context. I therefore plead the fifth amendment. :blush:
Glad you enjoyed your visit- did you mention the daft moustache?

Another gadget I noticed on my visit.David James checked out how far my old spanner mate was from the yard.GPS! he said he will be here in an hour :slight_smile: I think I liked the old system better :wink:

Ah, the old days when you had to wait until the driver a) found a phone box, b) found a phone box that worked, c) got himself a pocketful of change- “Don’t reverse the charges, I’ll ring you straight back” and c) remembered to ring in anyway!

Dave the Renegade:
You can buy this one John :wink: .

Hi Dave, thats ex Showerings , Shepton Mallet . regards Keith

leylandlover, was the ex Geoff harris spannerman emrys cox by any chance. by the way don’t call into ruardean woodside, now living near leicester

Yes Baz Emmo is a mate from John James time.Went to Denehurst and visited our old house No 2.

leylandlover:
Yes Baz Emmo is a mate from John James time.Went to Denehurst and visited our old house No 2.

Emery top spanner man and club act

Dave the Renegade:
You can buy this one John :wink: .

Great oldies bring on all the proper gaffers. :smiley: :smiley:

Any idea if Tracy Read had any more trucks and what colour livery?. I may ask Harold or Steve next time I see them…

I imagine that most bloggers enjoying this thread will already have seen the ‘ERF European (1975)’ thread. But just in case, if any of you Read family transport followers come across any new pictures of Richard Read (or Vijore) ERF NGCs like the one pictured below, or new information about them, I’d most grateful if you’d post them here or on the thread I’ve just mentioned. Cheers! Robert :slight_smile:

Just found out Richards wife passed away.RIP Amelia

That’s sad. She was a real lady.

sorry to hear that, Daibootsy.

R.I.P

I’ve got Richard Read on the ore team DVD doing a interview in 1984 about num pickets and his high court injunction against the num ,Read s 1 num 0.

Me.Paul.101:
Any idea if Tracy Read had any more trucks and what colour livery?. I may ask Harold or Steve next time I see them…

Tracy Read had a few Dodge tippers with LAD cabs, but was mainly into plant and land drainage etc.
Cheers Dave.

used to deliver concrete pipes to T J READ they did work for BULMERS in the orchards and many farms everyone who worked there were very friendly and willing to help one of our best drops.