Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

1 Like

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya,
Love the old pics Larry , keep them coming.
thanks harry long retired

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry,
I was in a antique shop on the Scottish Borders about 5 years ago ans they had a model 1/10 size of that Leyland and trailer. apparently it was built to move the Duke of York (The Queens father) from Richmond north Yorkshire to n address in London. The model had been built by apprentices who had built the orriginal body on the Leyland chassis. It was a wonderfu modelabout four foot long and accurate in every detail including the sign writing. I wished I had had the sence to buy it , or at least ask how much it was .

I asked dad if he remembered Curries from newcastle and he couldn’t

Who were they and when did they operate?

Best wishes

Carl

Curries were based in Newcastle, they were steam traction hauliers to start with, then moved on t Scammells , AECs etc, my grandfather was their heavey haulage road forman,haulage was his life, his younger brother was the founder of Smiles for Miles. Curries were still in the haulage game when they came under nationalisation,they were taken over into the Pickfords group, so their name dissapeared sadly to say.The also had places in Doncaster, & Birmingham.My grandfather worked for J.W.Bland from Gosforth, they were taken over by Curries when it was still steamers, he worked over his retirement which was then Pickfords, & was awarded the British Empier Medal for his services, moving tanks & big guns during the war.

Curries were based in Newcastle, they were steam traction hauliers to start with, then moved on t Scammells , AECs etc, my grandfather was their heavey haulage road forman,haulage was his life, his younger brother was the founder of Smiles for Miles. Curries were still in the haulage game when they came under nationalisation,they were taken over into the Pickfords group, so their name dissapeared sadly to say.The also had places in Doncaster, & Birmingham.My grandfather worked for J.W.Bland from Gosforth, they were taken over by Curries when it was still steamers, he worked over his retirement which was then Pickfords, & was awarded the British Empier Medal for his services, moving tanks & big guns during the war.