Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Forster, I have a photo someware of me driving an AEC Artic in 1969 for Shorties I cant find it a present It was a new motor UBB 805 G They were a decent firm to work for canny wages at that time, The only problem I ever had with one or two of their drivers who wanted the money for doing SFA, Pls their Hull manager who didnt like me from day one used to give me a load of Fish Meal from Albert dock for Spillers on the Newcastle Quay more often than any of the other Shorties lads, This went on for a few month so I decided enough was enough, I had a word with Ken Short who was nice reasnoble chap to talk to and he agreed after looking at the Manifests for work done at Hull to Newcastle that I was been given a lot of hand ball loads, Mind you I didnt mind handballing stuff as long as it wasnt smelly fish meal, I had to have a clean boiler suit every trip. But as far as Im concerend they were the good old days,And I earned good wages plus night out money, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, when I worked at E.Robson, the owner Bill Robson often met with a friend of his, Fred Short… This would be in the early 60’s. Maybe he was the owner at that time?