Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

diane:

Lawrence Dunbar:

ROYBO:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Back to Eagle Transport, I remember being in London one day when Skipper Bisset came onto the hill, he had come through the B/W,Tunnel & his windscreen popped, ,He allways cabed it Tsummer or winter, he was pretty tall so he would be a bit cramped in the LAD type cab, so he booked a bed at Tonys in Mansell Street, just up from the hill, Albert Greenwood & lots more Newcastle drivers took the p all night, they even laughed & told him he would get bed sores, But he he took it in good fun, Im hoping he is still about, because he might have photos which I hope he has , but get him on here & he will have us going for sure, great lad was Charlie Skipper Bisset, he had a boat at Ryton, hence the nickname Skipper, Regards Larry

Lawrence, Skipper Bisset was my much older cousin. His real name was John Bisset but for some reason called himself Charlie Bisset. My farther was Charlie Bisset from Ryton & ran tippers from 1930s - 1970s. He told me that John (Skipper) had been a bit of a lad in his time & got into allsorts of trouble. Saddly John passed away about 8 years ago . Also my dad was a great drinking pal with Albert Greenwood & ■■■■ Pulkinhorn at the Jolly Fellows Ryton .Cheers Roy.

Thank you for the info R0YBO, Skipper was a good freind of mines in the old days,when your old man said he was a handfull, he was right, he was a real handfull, he backed down to nobody, Im sorry to hear he has passed away,Im sure a lot of drivers remember him, Regards Larry.

john charlie skipper bisset was my dad, and he told us millions of story’s whilst out on the road!!