Showmans, Old vehicles. love to see some pictures

man-tga:

Rayrosher:
Hi Guys
As a newbie on here, I thought I would add a thread of a couple of my and my Dads old motors,
Being from a Fairground Family transport is the one thing that was a must for us,
Although the mileage we did was somtimes a bit on the low side, Ie 3 vehicles we had, Once did in 7 weeks a whole 22 miles, between them
Hitting severial different Galas all local to each other,
Any Scottish Truckers looking at this thread may remember or may have seen the old Atkinson Borderer
This used to be an Artic unit that belonged to R,J,Strang of Airdrie Scotland,
We bought this from a dealer who got it from a friend of his who bought it from Strang, (phew)
Anyway a couple of the reasons why we got it! Well! It wasent an ERF! Although we had nothing against ERF’s
Nearly every showman had one,ERF that is!
And like my Father!
I wanted to be a bit different from the usuall showman’s follow the sheep crowd!
So we plumped for the acky Over a nice ERF that Dalkeith Transport had,
THat and the fact that Dalkeith Transport wanted £1150 for an ERF with a browns box and a Gardner 180 Engine, (Yes that’s Right (One hundred and eighty Horse)
Against this acky which had a 12 Speed Road Ranger Gearbox and a NH 220 ■■■■■■■ which Basicly ■■■■■■ over the Gardner all day long,and was in much better condition. and was a fare bit Cheaper £950 with six new tyres on it! I believe that Carters of Burntisland got the ERF,
Anyway back to the Atkinson, We extended the backend by I think 4 feet, And found a Nice 18 feet box-body from SAS air-transport out at Glaasgow airport!
we then cut the luton and fitted the body as we had got a smaller body it was only 7’10" wide although this fitted nicely and only just over the cab,
As the Wheels were now sticking out past the body!
We custom fitted a set of under-boxes and bulged and filled in were the wheel’s were!
The back of the atkinson was then fitted with air-lines and the various Draw-bar and Ball couplings that were required for towing showmans equipment!
Inside the Box-Body! we Fitted to very Large lister generaters and Fuel Tanks for running them,
(The Listers were later replaced with a Custom made 120 Gardner 100 KVA Generator.)
At this point we applied to DVLA for A Showmans Restricted Locomotive Special Haulage classafication) And Got it, I beleive at the time their were only 2 other vehicles in the UK with this now defunct Classafication,
What most showmen at the time didn’t realize was that this Classafication allowed us to tow 2 trailers as long as the Middle trailer was a Drawbar trailer! And the trailer being towed by this! Was a single or double axle Standard tow hitch trailer,
As some shomen wised up to the fact that they could cut their costs down by towing two trailers Swansea had already stopped anyone from getting the Classafication, Unless they could prove correct usage of the vehicle Classafication, We did on severial occassions and eventually got a letter from Swansee to hand to anyone that stopped us Ie Traffic Police! Vehicle Inspectorite! etc that we were road legal, Why would we need to prove we were road legal? Well at one point! the Atkinson (is Was) 23’ long, The middle trailer inc drawbar was 47’ long and the ball hitch trailer was 27 ’ long! Which came to 97 Feet. not forgetting it was also 9’ 6" wide. (middle trailer) We ran the Atkinson until a copuple of years after my fathers death (It was on the roads around Scotland for about 15 years)
I then sold it to a chap from Skegness to carry spares and workshop equipment to various sites, I heard that a showman had bought it to tow a set of gallopers and then I believe that Slaters of ■■■■■■■ got it for towing one of their Shows, My only regret was selling it as it was a beast on the road. stick 50 ton on the back end of it! And the ■■■■■■■ just growled and chewed up the road, i kind of hope its still in Service as it looked very smart once we got the michelin men on it and the chrome wheels Air horns on it…
Anyway pictures, nothing of it hitched up just a couple of pictures solo, First picture taken at Dunbar and the Second one was at The world Famous Lamas Market Street Fair At St Andrews Final picture was at Bo-ness Spring fair… Enjoy Ray:)

Sorry forgot to Add! Pictures are copy-righted to me! I don’t have a problem if you want to use them for none profit, But please ask first! I usually say yes!

well bugger me …!!! aint seen your old Aki in a long time …is your or your fathers name Ruben,■■ many years ago i remember meeting you and your father and mother in Alexandria (1986/87) … did you have a travling Arcade or a ride i cant remember … you where pitched up the top of the train station car park next to John Codonas Dogem ride… !!i can always remember the length of your load with your living wagon that was the same colour of the Aki…and the load behind…

Indeed! Alexandria was one of our first fairs of the season! The Acky was hooked up to a Living trailer (drawbar) and worlds first totally fold up standing bottom juvenile (Kiddy ride) Tandem axle tow hitch trailer!
97 feet in total!
Acky and trailer were painted Maroon with a grey stripe!

les freathy:
John Forrest ERF power truck at Deal about 10 years ago

Nice to see an ex Dents of Hilgay Norfolk tractor unit. One of the C reg I think, good motors and thrashed hard everyday of there working lives. As with a good many of the fleet I and many others gave her a good thrash just to get the days work done.

Hadn’t noticed this thread before and was about to post a few showmen wagons on Past, Present etc, but this is a better thread for them. To me showmen wagons are generally very well maintained both mechanically and of course always (or mostly) well turned out, not forgetting the engines in both wagons and generators , which I guess the majority would be Gardner in some form or another. They have all previously been considered to be past their best by original owners, yet they soldier on good as ever thanks to showmen and others dedicated to preserving great british engineering at its best.

The first pic is obviously an ex Eric Vick motor, so always interesting to read info on wagons recognised from their working days.
Oily

Looks very much like a Calor registrations; G408YBL and DTF423V

Yes i do, G37 WMF
I bought the F16 from Cheale Meats at Brentwood Essex around 1994 and used it to pull a fridge. Running hanging meat to Germany and France then I put a Euroliner on its back and subbed for Andrew Wishart, Kirkcaldy mainly doing, Spain and Portugal. It was a big heavy 6x2 rearlift, and liked a drink of diesel if you weren’t carefull on the pedal…sold around 1998.

WL 480 did you know Tam Findlay he also ran Cheale Meats for a long time now doing a bit of time!!!. Eddie.

adr:
Ooh I’d love this old girl, I’d put her to work tomorrow, what a Beast! St. Giles Fair, Oxford.

A904Ant this foden was on the first edition of trucking international think it was a guy called Phil Morris from oswestry that had it from new it was black and silver with matching curtainsider,im sure i have read it is getting restored to its first livery

UDJ407G ex West Dorset Commercials

erfguy i was at Cheales from 1992 to 2000 worked with Tam and his drivers. I done the job for 2yrs solid then done month on month off with other driver on the month off we pulled euroliners for Wishart and some flat work from Lanarkshire. But knew Tam from 84/85.

Todays offering.
Oily

Some poor old pictures, but they were taken 40-odd years ago with an Instamatic and kept in a box in the loft since!
Bernard

Two from South Cerney.

Some taken in Petersfield Hampshire.

A few more thanks to Len Rogers.
Oily

The Bobby Taylor ones are based just round the corner from me in the Lakes, keep meaning to have a look round if given chance.

I haven’t seen an Entwistle’s truck for ages! They went bust a good few years ago now.

Hullo All,
An old friend of mine, from the days of running to Italy for Kieth Rayner, IMPEX, used to have a Showmans Tractor Unit. It was an F10 Tractor Unit, minus 5th, wheel, and with a big box on the back, to live in. He was from Halifax, I think it was Rishworth, name of Eric Wheelwright. The last time I saw him and his Show Motor was, I’m not too sure, but he came over to our Steam Fair and Traction Engine Rally at Pickering. Does anybody know if he’s still doing the rounds with it ?
Cheers, Archie.

These two well-preserved Fodens, undergoing a spit - and - polish buff , are a credit to the owners.
Photograph taken at Border City Steam Fair, Carlisle, June 2912.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

" The Leader " , is the name on the front of this Foden 6 wheeler and drawbar trailer belonging
to Dormans` Fun Fair. The driver is sat patiently in his cab , probably awaiting siting instructions.
■■■■■■■ Steam Gathering , 2010.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

cattle wagon man:
These two well-preserved Fodens, undergoing a spit - and - polish buff , are a credit to the owners.
Photograph taken at Border City Steam Fair, Carlisle, June 2912.

Hiya thats mick from ashbourne on the step ladder… the foden unit has a 525 ■■■■■■■ to help he along the way
great chap nice lorries. mick is a keen army enthusiast having a army jeep and well known on the millitary sceen
John

Here is a few that have visited Sanquhar over the years for the Riding of the Marches. The ex Entwhisle ERF has been a regular for a few years now they would be ideal motors as they would be drawbar spec and plenty of power with it. Eddie.