THAMES TRADERS

windrush:
Going off topic a little Dennis but some operators that I knew hadn’t the first idea about doing any repairs so they were carried out by either Tilcons quarry garage or a local haulier who did have the facilities. Even changing a wheel was beyond a couple of them, or they just didn’t like getting their hands dirty! Most did do their own maintenance though, some even had a garage but more worked outside. Apart from monthly checks which were done by garages they did everything else. The last firm I worked for only ran two trucks but rented a garage at a local mill which had room for four six wheelers and a long pit, plus an inside fuel tank. ‘We’ did all our own repairs, I looked after the truck I drove and if there was no Saturday work (or I finished early) I would go down to the garage and wash the truck off and do brake adjusting and greasing around, oil/filter changes and relines plus MOT prep etc. Sometimes they would put some extra in my wage packet for doing it, either way it helped them out as there were only two partners and one drove full time like myself, the other stayed in the garage but was quite elderly! It makes me smile when I read posts on the so called ‘Professional Drivers’ section where they want paying for walking to the office etc, does nobody do anything now without expecting payment for it? :confused: It was all part of helping a small haulier out in my book and I enjoyed doing it? At one time they also did maintenance for other operators but had stopped that by the time I worked there as age had caught up with them! :laughing:

Pete.

Spot on there Pete, the good old days when you just got on with the job and did what was necessary eh! Cheers Dennis.