Peter Slater Ltd.+ Other Coalmen from the 50s/60s onwards

curnock:

james boot:

Chris Webb:
I remember Beatties running out of Wingerworth and Horace “greedy board” Kendrick was a familiar sight especially in South Wales running coke into the Midlands.Another company from Walsall was Oscar W Johnson who did the same work as Horace,anybody remember him?

my name is jim boot i did alot of miles with my dad in a kendricks lorry in the 60s yes i remember oscar johnsons i think they where from rugeley and all so john hills from walsall had alot of kendricks x lorrys my dad youst to run in to llanwern steel works and allso cwum coke,ing plant that hill was unberlieverble i have seen many a wagon on its side the pic of the kendricks lorry on here could even be my dad because of the reg being vdh then ending in f i just cannot remember the numbers when my dad left kendricks he went to work for RA. GIBBLIN oldbury he had AEC.MAMOUTH MAJORS still done the same run to wales good memories for me/////// jimmy boot

hi james,oscar johnson were based in portland street walsall.the new collage in walsall has their car park where johnsons yard used to be

thanx for the info mate i dont know why i thought they where from rugely :unamused: but like i said i was only about 9/10 years of age at the time but i stil remember the good bits jim boot :wink:

oscar johnson

Cracking line up of Fodens there, whose are they I cant read the livery, Im getting short of lamp oil sadley to say Regards Larry . Fodenatic

They belong to Oscar Johnson who I believe was based in Walsall :question: Photos courtesy of MAC (itshim) from his flickr site.
Oscar Johnson Foden fleet line up..jpg
Oscar Johnson Leyland.jpg

Oscar W Johnson’s Fodens were a regular sight loaded with coke coming out of South Wales in the 60s and 70s,along with Horace Kendrick,both from Walsall.

Stanfield:
They belong to Oscar Johnson who I believe was based in Walsall :question: Photos courtesy of MAC (itshim) from his flickr site.10

Thank you for the info, Regards Larry

A few photos of R Hansons & Son Ltd from over Wakefield area Photos courtesy of Les(wakey) from his flickr site flickr.com/photos/Les(wakey

R Hanson & Son Ltd Albion 4 wheeler tipper.JPG
R Hanson & Son Ltd Mercedes tipper.JPG
R Hanson & Son Ltd Attkinson 8 wheeler tipper.JPG
R Hanson & Son Ltd Attkinson tipper.JPG

Good stuff John,they had a huge fleet at one time. :sunglasses:

download/file.php?id=24299 That small AEC, that’ll be about 1961/62, I got 5177WY new at Fred Chappels, AEC Marshall.

Hi my father Joseph Tatham lived on Leeds Road Mirfield use to driver for Peter Slater when they where up on Liley Lane at Upper Hopton. I have a photo which show’s him and his truck in the side of the pub the Freemasons Arms Burnley Road Todmorden with a full write up in the Halifax Daily Courier on Monday 25 th of October 1954. The truck was an Seddon Atkinson 7 tonner six wheeler not sure of the reg, he went to hospital but only superficial injuries and shock but was allowed home after been treated. Will see about getting it up loaded.

Stanfield:
Just bringing this thread forward with a few more pics as we haven’t had any on since January.And last one for tonight
[/quote Another Smiles tipper, ready for work,Regards Larry[attachment=0]

Ford Tipper.jpg[/attachment]

Hi James,

I remember your dad, and I’ve posted a photo of his last truck (D710LUG)… I guess he retired a year or so after I started at TT (1992)…

There’s a photo of Alan too…

james boot:

james boot:

Chris Webb:
I remember Beatties running out of Wingerworth and Horace “greedy board” Kendrick was a familiar sight especially in South Wales running coke into the Midlands.Another company from Walsall was Oscar W Johnson who did the same work as Horace,anybody remember him?

my name is jim boot i did alot of miles with my dad in a kendricks lorry in the 60s yes i remember oscar johnsons i think they where from rugeley and all so john hills from walsall had alot of kendricks x lorrys my dad youst to run in to llanwern steel works and allso cwum coke,ing plant that hill was unberlieverble i have seen many a wagon on its side the pic of the kendricks lorry on here could even be my dad because of the reg being vdh then ending in f i just cannot remember the numbers when my dad left kendricks he went to work for RA. GIBBLIN oldbury he had AEC.MAMOUTH MAJORS still done the same run to wales good memories for me/////// jimmy boot

i for got to mention my dad endid his driving days with tipton transport i have been trying to get some pics of them but finding it verey hard nevermind i will keep trying////jim boot

D710LUG.jpg

hello andyj. what can i say mate i dont know how to thank you enough iwould have been happy to see a pic of any tt lorry but to see my farthers is a miricle . do you mind if i down load this pic so i can print,it of i remember my dad mentioning young stan and horace and allso mr dungworth i think he was transport manager. i keep looking at this picture brings backgood times for me there is another site like this one cauld flker if you typ my name in there it will show you my pictures of some lorrys i have puton . i am going to show my brother and sisters this picture thay will loveit///// thanx a million mate///// jimmy boot :smiley:

Charles Braham on the right with brother Reg, Charles was founder of Chas Braham & Sons. enjoyed my time working for them in the 70’s & they are still on the road today

Hi - I’d not realised you had responded on here so just sent you a message (I hope its you!) on facebook…

Of course I have no problem with you downloading the photo - if you would like I could email you a hi-res copy…

Andy…

(Oh - and Stan is still driving for Tipton Transport - albeit for Sheldon & Clayton)

james boot:
hello andyj. what can i say mate i dont know how to thank you enough iwould have been happy to see a pic of any tt lorry but to see my farthers is a miricle . do you mind if i down load this pic so i can print,it of i remember my dad mentioning young stan and horace and allso mr dungworth i think he was transport manager. i keep looking at this picture brings backgood times for me there is another site like this one cauld flker if you typ my name in there it will show you my pictures of some lorrys i have puton . i am going to show my brother and sisters this picture thay will loveit///// thanx a million mate///// jimmy boot :smiley:

One of Peter Slaters (urry up man) came to grief after his wagon had a blow out.
Taken in Todmorden about 1957. The load was holding up the bedroom floor of the pub which survived… I was just walking to the little chippy which is the small building in front of the lorry when I heard the bang. No chips for dinner that day.

T.M.

looking at the shot of the hanson atki in barnsley town centre . do any of you remember the copper on point duty in the 60s . big bloke with a handlebar moustache he certainly kept the traffic moving , but god help you if you didn’t stop when he put his hand up , i swear he could have stopped you in your tracks with a glare . if you were slow moving off when he waved you on he bollocked you as you passed him . cheers , dave

I do remember the copper in Barnsley. I was an engineer in those days and was sent out with another chap to repair a steam pump near Barnsley.
I was driving the firms Bedford Dormobile with the sliding door open when he waved me past and when he saw the door he gave me a right talking to.
He scared the living daylights out of me and I never forgot him.

I was given the photo of the old Gilbraith wagon below years ago and was told it may have been taken coming down into Barnsley but would like to know if any of you can place it.

Does anyone recognise the location of the weighbridge in this Roger Kenney picture. Must be somewhere in or around Rochdale going by the S&D refuse wagon

Stanfield:
One of R Hanson & Son Ltd 1964 B reg 8 wheeler Atkinsons from the 60s (photo Les(wakey)0

Some good pics on this thread,must be a lot more out there when you think off all the coal movements that were going on in the 50/60s/70s.Those are brill.Tankerman and just out off interest if anyone is,this one off Les Wakey’s that John Stanfield posted is going across the bottom off the Market Place past the Guildhall in Derby,pedestrians only these days.Mike.