T. A. Bulmer's steel carriers

fodenway:
. Rumour has it that it still exists somewhere, out of use but reasonably complete.

The DVLA records show the last road tax ran out in June 1990

The vehicle features in its original guise and as modified as a recovery vehicle in the forthcoming Roundoak book ‘Foden Special Vehicle’.

I remember well seeing the artic version around but can’t remember seeing it as a eight wheel rigid, but it did look well loaded.

Ossie

OssieD:
I remember well seeing the artic version around but can’t remember seeing it as a eight wheel rigid, but it did look well loaded.

Ossie

I remember the rigid running up and down the A19 between M/bro and the A1,anyone on the A19 at this time will remember it.

Does anyone have any other info on this? Or even any shots of it in latter life?

richellis78:
Does anyone have any other info on this? Or even any shots of it in latter life?

I used to drive this truck when it was a recovery vehicle for Scott’s commercial vehicles Nottingham

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

just before scotts commercial got it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That Bulmer’s Foden was built on low line chassis they offered.

Click on pages twice to read.

1965 clipping.

foden bulmer 1965.PNG

foden bulmer 19651.PNG

foden 65.PNG

foden bulm.PNG

1988 article.

It is maybe worth pointing out the Bulmer Steel Carrier wasn’t just a case of using one of Foden’s crane carrier chassis, it was a one off build using the crane carrier concept and the four man crane cab. The chassis was much longer than the 8 wheel carrier chassis produced, this is noticeable in the pics above. The new crane carrier concept itself was agreed with Smiths of Rodley, who were long time customers, where operational problem areas were identified when using the previous designs and in 1963 a prototype was built and two examples displayed in the 1963 Crystal Palace International Construction Show. Unlike what the article says about the concept not being popular the demand for the new design carriers meant Foden building a new assembly shop in 1963 for the 6 and 8 wheel designs with healthy orders, it was in this shop that the Bulmers carrier was built. The article again wrongly refers to the 12 speed Foden box as being a ‘crash’ box, how many times has a constant mesh box been wrongly named in this way you would think a dedicated commercial vehicle mag would at least get that subject right! Nice to know the vehicle itself had a long and hardworking life. Franky.

Does anyone know if this Foden special vehicle still exists somewhere?

Bulmers of Middlesborough had a unique machine built for them by Fodens in 1965. It was an extended low-line crane carrier chassis with bolsters fitted to enable long girders to be carried above the cab, whilst keeping the load reasonably low. They also had at least one standard Foden S24 tractor unit. The low-line carrier was later shortened into a tractor unit, and apparently ended its days as a recovery crane. Does anyone have any COLOUR photos of any of these motors? Any help would be gratefully received by more than a few modellers!

Two or three months ago,the Bulmers Foden 8wheeler was featured in either Heritage Commercials or Classic Commercials.
The lorry was based on a crane chassis wasn’t it?

I’ll dig the magazine out tmrw for more details.

fodenway:
Bulmers of Middlesborough had a unique machine built for them by Fodens in 1965. It was an extended low-line crane carrier chassis with bolsters fitted to enable long girders to be carried above the cab, whilst keeping the load reasonably low. They also had at least one standard Foden S24 tractor unit. The low-line carrier was later shortened into a tractor unit, and apparently ended its days as a recovery crane. Does anyone have any COLOUR photos of any of these motors? Any help would be gratefully received by more than a few modellers!

Sorry fodenway,this is all I’ve got of Bulmers,not in colour either and probably courtesy of Marc/Bubbleman. I’m owd enough to remember seeing them southbound on the A1 though.

Hi boys

Chris Webb:

fodenway:

Sorry fodenway,this is all I’ve got of Bulmers,not in colour either and probably courtesy of Marc/Bubbleman. I’m owd enough to remember seeing them southbound on the A1 though.

Chris I think I would be a bit worried sitting in that cab especally as it looks as if the front headboard is about to give up :frowning: :frowning: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards Keith.

dessert driver:
Hi boys

Chris Webb:

fodenway:

Chris I think I would be a bit worried sitting in that cab especally as it looks as if the front headboard is about to give up :frowning: :frowning: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards Keith.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Aye,it doesn’t look too safe Keith.

Hi, I posted a request for info on this truck last year but nothing came back, I bought a photo of a Bulmers Logistics scania at a collectors fair and the colour is mid blue and cream, could this be the same colours, someone must have a memory of this trucki, incidentally on Bubblemans pics this truck ran as an artic at some point, very interesting.

gritterman:
Hi, I posted a request for info on this truck last year but nothing came back, I bought a photo of a Bulmers Logistics scania at a collectors fair and the colour is mid blue and cream, could this be the same colours, someone must have a memory of this trucki, incidentally on Bubblemans pics this truck ran as an artic at some point, very interesting.

I am under the impression that they were crimson and ivory back in the sixties - I was sure I had a colour shot of it somewhere, on an old Foden News cover, or in some advertising leaflets, but I’m having no luck finding it. Maybe the memory isn’t firing on all cylinders anymore. I need to know the colour of the chassis, wheels and mudguards.
The carrier was indeed shortened and used as a tractor unit, still with Bulmers, and was eventually sold on to Harrisons Recovery of Markham Moor and fitted with a mid-mounted twin boom wrecker. Rumour has it that it still exists somewhere, out of use but reasonably complete.

fodenway:

Back in the late 60s I worked at Norfolk Line in Gt. Yarmouth and I remember loading this motor and being told by the driver that the original idea was to have two identical 8 wheelers to carry long loads of steel, one at the front and one at the back but due to red tape it didn’t materialise. The last time I saw it was in Bulmer’s yard at Cargo Fleet probably around 1970. Cheers, Haddy.

haddy:

fodenway:

Back in the late 60s I worked at Norfolk Line in Gt. Yarmouth and I remember loading this motor and being told by the driver that the original idea was to have two identical 8 wheelers to carry long loads of steel, one at the front and one at the back but due to red tape it didn’t materialise. The last time I saw it was in Bulmer’s yard at Cargo Fleet probably around 1970. Cheers, Haddy.

Thanks for the info Haddy, but can you remember what colour it was? -Fodenway.

fodenway:

haddy:

fodenway:

Thanks for the info Haddy, but can you remember what colour it was? -Fodenway.

It’s a long time ago but I seem to think that Bulmers were grey but the Scania in Gritterman’s photo is blue and cream. Perhaps they they changed their colours in later years. cheers, Haddy.