Remploy Ltd Borough Mill Neild Street Oldham

Geez a long time past. I have been trying to get a hold of Remploy drivers and staff for years, did get a reply from Tom Burns , 6 years after I posted in an Oldham site, but never heard from him again. So looking to hear from, Jim Welsby, Dennis Clegg, Jim Walsh, John Fleming, then there was Linda, who worked in the canteen, between 1967 and 1974, and any other of the guys, who worked there in those times. I lived in Scotland, and would come down weekly, to pick up, deliveries for the west of Scotland. Here is hoping, this time, I might hear from some of the people. I now live in Ontario, Canada, a friend of mine, over here, gave me the addie, for this site.
Thanks All.

haggis12 have sent you an email and also updated all the dead links in the posts above. :slight_smile:

moomooland:
haggis12 have sent you an email and also updated all the dead links in the posts above. :slight_smile:

I got it, moo., BIG THANKS, for the reply, yep, brings back memories for sure. I hope Tom, is doing ok. I thank you, for getting back to me, and refreshing all this stuff, just great, and APPRECIATED.

Here’s one from me !

I delivered glass to a few Remploys a few years back , i think 1 was at Radcliffe 1 at Hartlepool and 1 in South Wales at Porth .

moomooland:

I have replied to your e mails, hoping they got through to you, or do I do the mails, via, truckNet?? Not by hitting the reply button, to you mail/? Just wondering about that/? I Thank you for all of the information, Appreciated, moo.,

Best transport manager i ever had was Remploy’s Tommy Burns pictured on the left along with driver Dennis Clegg and the late Jimmy Walsh.

Tony Boyd took this picture on the 15th of August 1997 on the last day of transport operations at Remploy Oldham

In 1975 to promote Remploy’s presence for exports in Europe one of the company’s brand new Ford ‘D’ Series demountable box vans Reg No JLB 60N was sent over the channel to France.

In this publicity shot taken at the time Remploy driver Alan Smart is pictured coming off the ferry at Calais.

moomooland:
0Best transport manager i ever had was Remploy’s Tommy Burns pictured on the left along with driver Dennis Clegg and the late Jimmy Walsh.

Hi Paul,Johnny phoned me tonight he got colon cancer ,I sent him that pic he wants to know when Jimmy died cheers John

smallcoal:
Hi Paul,Johnny phoned me tonight he got colon cancer ,I sent him that pic he wants to know when Jimmy died cheers John

It must be about five or six years ago when Jimmy died but knowing how time flies it could be longer.

Sorry to hear about Johnny have had radio/chemo therapy myself this last few months for throat cancer :frowning:

A young Tom Burns is seen here in the cab of a 1962 registered Austin luton van Reg No WJD 72 during the lorry driver of the year competition which took place at Belle Vue Manchester in 1964.

Tom Burns who was a driver and shop steward at the time would in later years become Remploy’s transport manager.

I used to do a nice local job for Ray Holden, ready erected card boxes from Remploy at Radcliffe to HM Stationery Office at Chadderton. Two loads a day (well a morning really) with an elderly Ergo. cab Leyland Super Comet box van.

Taken in the early 1970s this was the scene outside Oldham register office after Remploy driver Ralph Foreman tied the knot.

Drivers present amongst others were L to R front row Keith Allen (Mcgill),Brian Williams, Geoff Blackwell, the Bride and her friend, Ralph Foreman (The bridegroom) Cliff Williams(Big Cat), Len Limer & Bob Wilkinson.

L to R 2nd Row Tommy Bradshaw, Alan Smart, Ronnie Bailey, Charlie Sweeney & John Spencer.

The four dodgy looking blokes at the back were not Remploy employees. :smiley:

My mum was the secretary to the distribution manager for Remploy when Tommy Burns came off the road to be the TM, he was partly the reason I went into the transport industry in 1970 when I left school aged 16. I started in the traffic office for Thomas Harrison Haulage off Stanley Rd; Chadderton in June 70 and Tommy gave me The Transport Manager’s Handbook, the FTA’s yearly handbook and a character reference to help me into employment, never looked back :smiley: great fella.

Regards
Dave Penn;

15th of August 1997 and its the end of an era as drivers and management get together on the last day of transport operations at Remploy Oldham.

From L/R Jimmy Walsh, Tommy Burns, Bob Flynn, Christine (Toms PA), David Wilson, Bob Elliot, Sam Mclean, Jim Wilson, Alan Smart, Mick Glover and Dennis Clegg.

Photograph courtesy of Tony Boyd (Trooper) who is pictured below on the last day of transport operations at Oldham as his Mercedes demountable box four wheeler M538 PNA awaits to have its livery removed after being sold on to a company from Ireland.

In the mid 1980’s Remploy bought a number of Ford Cargo’s, at the same time adopting this ghastly orange and red livery to their fleet,

One of those vehicles was this Ford Cargo Reg No B774 VNB which was powered by the unreliable Perkins engine.

Pictured above on the M1 Scratchwood Services driver Jim Wilson recalls that after being only around eight weeks old and while down the road in Kent the unreliable Perkins engine sized up. This was due to a faulty batch of engines being produced at that time and was replaced free of charge by Ford.

Supervisor Albert Edwards, in the white coat, looks on as porters unload bureau’s which were manufactured at Remploy’s Brynamman and Pentre factories in South Wales.

Bureau’s such as these were an item of furniture which was quite popular back in the day.

52.jpgRoy Howard (left} and Alan Devine are pictured here on one of the four floors of Borough Mill warehouse which was used to store all types of furniture that was manufactured at various Remploy factories throughout the country.

moomooland:
1Supervisor Albert Edwards, in the white coat, looks on as porters unload bureau’s which were manufactured at Remploy’s Brynamman and Pentre factories in South Wales.

Bureau’s such as these were an item of furniture which was quite popular back in the day.

0Roy Howard (left} and Alan Devine are pictured here on one of the four floors of Borough Mill warehouse which was used to store all types of furniture that was manufactured at various Remploy factories throughout the country.

Hi Paul the brynamman factory is still there with the remploy on it ,they don’t make them like that anymore proper workmanship hope you are keeping well cheers John

Remploy brynamman now up for sale

image.jpeg

Wasn’t there a factory/depot on the industrial estate at Newton Aycliffe or am I mistaken? I seem to remember it was next door to a company called Block and Anderson.