Old companies in lincolnshire 1980's - 1990's

Big Al:

phillybob71:
hi, does anybody remember Thompson frieght services of Scunthorpe and Colin Booth ltd from Barton? And does anybody have any pictures?

Hi Phillybob, Bill Thompson had a yard in Crowle on the A161 Goole to Gainsborough Road in the 50’s They ran 8 wheeler tin cab AEC lorries carrying steel out of the Scunthorpe steelworks, if I remember right they had a brown livery. Bill Fretwell, Foxy Fowler and Big Ron Coultard drove for them. They later moved to the garage at Double Rivers on the old A18. regards Big Al

You’re right there Big Al, they used to be on North Street in Crowle, it’s now bungalows for the elderly. The old livery of what i remember used to be brown with cream signwriting befor they changed to the red with brown stripe down the sides.

nigelhunt:
0Wheel Nut,can you recall A B M maltings at louth.They had many lorries,here is one my dad drove.

i used to collect screenings with my dad from abm, i think they later became pauls malt. i also remember john coxen also carting in there and bdr from bourne,
other lincolnshire bulk hauliers that spring to mind…
alford traffic
marshall barry
cf dickinson
mc mountain
hc wright
colin booth
the dickinsons mentioned above were from billinghay, locally they was known as the sugar squadron, they did a lot of work for british sugar

what about wr carters from owmby by spital,they have been going for years they always had a tidy fleet of red volvos and scannys,they used to do alot of work out of kp foods at grimsby,and kp at ashby,they also have got a website.

bigmatt2806:

nigelhunt:
0Wheel Nut,can you recall A B M maltings at louth.They had many lorries,here is one my dad drove.

i used to collect screenings with my dad from abm, i think they later became pauls malt. i also remember john coxen also carting in there and bdr from bourne,

I’m glad somebody else remembers John Coxen,they were either from Tetney or North Thoresby,it’s a long time since I saw one of their wagons.

Chris Webb:

bigmatt2806:

nigelhunt:

I’m glad somebody else remembers John Coxen,they were either from Tetney or North Thoresby,it’s a long time since I saw one of their wagons.

think it was actually north somercotes they were from, they no longer about in haualge, not sure about anything else as i know they had a coal yard as well

Thanks for the memorys Seen nearly all these names during my working life at Ross / also on Grimsby Docks and chemical plants at Pywipe and the rest of the Humber bank Area. Still see some of the what was young \Vehicle fitters from the 60/70s .Were also in our 60/70`.Time marches on regardless.

cheers
all
Robert Johnson

GRIMSBY :

Edited

6001.jpg

JW COUSINS - A BRIEF HISTORY
On the 1st October 1930, James William Cousins, of Waddingham, succeeded in making the dream of his own haulage business a reality.

Jim, as he was known to his family and friends, had previously worked for a local haulage firm delivering agricultural products such as grain and potatoes, and he was also the coalman for the area. When he was 29 years old the local farmers suggested he start his own business. At the time Jim couldn’t afford to buy a truck, so three farmers from the area joined together and helped him buy his first vehicle which was a Ford truck, costing £210 and could carry 1500 cwt. He began by hauling potatoes from the surrounding farms to Kirton Lindsey train station, and also some sugar beet and grain. Jim then gained more business form hauling fertiliser to local farmers and soon had work further field as his reputation grew, and was able to pay the farmers back for his truck.

After six months of being in business he employed a book-keeper, Gladys, and they married in 1934.

When World War Two broke out Jim would haul stone from the local quarries around Lincolnshire to airfields such as Scampton, Hemswell and Ingham, in order for them to construct runways. Then during the war he delivered flour from Mr Birkett’s flour mill near Kirton Lindsey, to RAF Manby, near Louth, so the troops could have freshly baked bread as part of their rations.

By 1948 Jim had built his business up to ten lorries, but in the same year the Labour Government nationalised haulage firms and took over all his vehicles. In the meantime Jim had bought some land which comprised a small farm holding and had managed to keep one lorry for the farm. The drivers he had employed found jobs at the local cement works, and Jim concentrated on his farm introducing his two sons, Peter and James to agriculture.

In 1954 Peter persuaded his father to buy two lorries back from BRS who had taken them over by the government, in an attempt to build the haulage business back up again. They began by collecting butter and bacon from the docks at Grimsby, and used this work to expand his business and soon bought licenses to haul fertiliser for local farmers.

Peter went on to serve his National Service in 1956, and in 1957 he joined his father in the haulage business, starting as a driver whilst Jim, his brother, concentrated on the farm which they still owned. They managed to secure a long-term contract with the local cement works at Kirton Lindsey, and along with their agricultural work they have successfully managed to build the business up to what it is today.

In 1994 Peter and Jim bought the old cement works site at Kirton Lindsey where thy used to haul from, and are now based on the 25 acre site.

Today, JW Cousins and Sons Ltd have a fleet of 26 vehicles and are currently celebrating their 75th year in the business. Jim and Peter Cousins, the sons of James William, are both Directors in the business with Peter acting as Managing Director. Their sons, Simon and Tim, are also Directors, seeing to the day to day running, making it truly a family run concern. Peter’s wife and Jim’s daughter also work in the business on the accountancy side. The farm was sold five years ago, so now Jim can concentrate on the haulage side of the company.

index.jpg

his_02.jpg

his_04.jpg

his_03.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

fm globetrotter:
hi,does anybody remember gawtry’s removals/distribution from scunthorpe.my dad used to drive the scania 82m artic.reg num cjv205x(ex sooner foods later to be golden wonder).

phillybob71:

Nice pictures phillybob71, nice to see the Booths motors, I remember working on their lorries at John Hebbs when I was a lad. He ran quite a lot of 6x2 S ride F10’s at one time aswell as the FL 8 wheelers. They did a lot of hard work, always looked tidy but they soon wore out the running gear on the tipper work.

steptoe:

phillybob71:

Nice pictures phillybob71, nice to see the Booths motors, I remember working on their lorries at John Hebbs when I was a lad. He ran quite a lot of 6x2 S ride F10’s at one time aswell as the FL 8 wheelers. They did a lot of hard work, always looked tidy but they soon wore out the running gear on the tipper work.

Thanks steptoe, I used to work for Booths at Epworth in the garage. Unfortunatley these are the only pictures ive got of them. Wish i’d took my camera into work now :frowning:

1 Like

IMG01_0001.jpg

IMG01_0003.jpg

IMG01_0002.jpg

IMG01_0005.jpg