Companies from towns&villages along A65 Skipton to Kendal

The family-run business of R.E.Shuttleworth & Sons is based at Cowan Bridge , and must take the prize as being one of the
closest haulage companies to the road-edge of the A 65 .
There is no mistaking the immaculately-presented fleet of Scanias and one E.R.F.
Angela is the proud driver of this Scania , seen here at Bentham Auction Mart.

Hi Folks,
Stuart Walker Ingleton he’s looking a bit blurred

Cheers Malc.

Hi Folks,
Another new one

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG
Body built in 1994.
Cheers Malc.

malc step:
Hi Folks,

Cheers Malc.

Stuart always did look a bit blurred.Haha.

cattle wagon man:
The family-run business of R.E.Shuttleworth & Sons is based at Cowan Bridge , and must take the prize as being one of the
closest haulage companies to the road-edge of the A 65 .
There is no mistaking the immaculately-presented fleet of Scanias and one E.R.F.
Angela is the proud driver of this Scania , seen here at Bentham Auction Mart.

Always a well turned out fleet!!.

malc step:
Hi Folks,

Cheers Malc.

He is only half loaded,i followed a logging truck into our mill today and he grossed out at 73 tonnes!!.

Hi Folks,
Ingleton project now finished.Has anybody got any information
or history of this motor?

SDC12116.JPG

SDC12110.JPG
Cheers Malc.

malc step:
Hi Folks,
Ingleton project now finished.Has anybody got any information
or history of this motor?

Cheers Malc.

Now that looks tidy,i would be proud to drive that.Class!!!.

martsstricky1988:

Bewick:

Bewick:

malc step:
C’mon Malc get some more of ■■■■ & Davids on the thread you must be sat on “hundreds” Dennis.

Hi dennis,
I have got 1 or 2 but trying to get some from the younger lads who could afford cameras.
Some from Bentham today,
Henry Slingers restored wagon & drag (now sold )

Used to run fodens & ERFs but his later ones were Scanias,

Now one of Dennis"s ex star drivers ,
Chris Mitton , DAF 85 CF.

Scania & drag with jimmy mcfarlane"s restored foden (now sold)

Cheers Malc.

Chris must have been ashamed to pose in fron’t of his own motor after been photographed in fron’t of a Bewick tractor !!! Dennis.

I’m not 100% sure but I think one of these Scanias on the Bewick lowloader could be Chris’s tipper albeit after it had been “Butchered” as it looks to still be in what is suspiciously like WRM livery ( Iv’e washed my mouth out!) after a repaint from Bewick livery. If it is an ex Bewick it is one of a pair that came from West trucks Bristol and I recognised the LYA number plate.If it isn’t it is a close relative!!! Dennis.

yes dennis, it is an ex BEWICK motor is that one, it used to be the Celtech tractor unit, Littlefairs had it for a while and now it looks as though chris has it.
[/quote]
Those Slinger Scanias I’m sure used to be ex Ferrymasters Risley - these would have been amongst the first to be supplied at the (then) new 38 tonnes regs. Like a lot of fleets of the time, Ferrymasters equipment was mainly widespread tandem axle and boy did those old ROR’s clunk and clank with the added weight, and they could chew the tread off the tyres as well!

Hi Folks,
Rob Taylor in Lishman’s Ingleton CF at Ingleton A65.

Cheers Folks.

Hi Folks,
Tom Middleton from Ingleton hay &straw man
fueling at Crooklands A65.

Cheers Malc.

malc step:
Hi Folks,

Cheers Malc.

Tank at the back looks good!!!.

scaniaontheroad:

malc step:
Hi Folks,

Cheers Malc.

truckfing:

scaniaontheroad:

malc step:
Hi Folks,

Cheers Malc.

Oh its a Cannons,they still going strong!.

malc step:
Hi Folks,
Seen at Ingleton today,

Cheers Malc.

Thought they looked Familiar, we had the DAF’s breaks redone by them last year. Remember having a good look around that 112 (wasn’t in the same condition then though!)

Miss S:
I will ask my Dad I am sure he will have some stories to tell me bout some of these

Dalesman:
Hi.
Anyone Remeber these hauliers from the 40’s/50’s and earlier. P E Roberts, Ingleton. 3 smart gray tippers. J W Morphet, calf dealer Ingleton, 2 Austins.
Tommy Staveley, Ingleton, Cattle transport. 1 Seddon. Clem Bibby & Son, Ingleton, milk transport, 2 Seddons & 1Austin, (first wagon I drove).
Bill Jones, Ingleton. T & G Midleton, Ingleton, coal merchants. George Knowles, Westhouse, coal merchant. XL Granite had several 7 ton Bedfords.
O Patzelt, (a German) had a smart green Leyland Octopus tipper, on contract to Grenwoods quarry, Helwith Bridge, I think? Jack Wagget, Burton, knackerman, Ford A type. Joe Winn, Blacksmith, Bentham, 2 tippers, mainly on contract to Settle R D C, taken over by Steve Armsrong? Millers Bentham, milk transport. Tommy Slinger, Bentham, hay & sraw merchant. Bob Cowin, Bentham, livestock transport, 5 wagons. Jim Pedley, livestock, 2 wagons at one time. Tommy Hargreaves, Newby, general haulage. Jim Parkin, Eldroth, farmer & livestock, 1 Commer 15 mile radious B licence. Taken over by Carter Dent, Settle. Bill Coates, Settle, Coal merchant & haulage. Settle Limes Ltd, 1 Foden two stroke, 2 A E C’s tippers. Stainforth Haulage, several wagons, bought out by Howarth’s Ingleton. John Rushton, Long Preston, 2 Austins. Norman Hartley & son, Kirkby Lonsdale, 2 cattle wagons. Pelters, Wittington several tippers.
When Adam Lithgoe opened Ribblehead quarry they had several contractors working for them, carting and spredding lime, the ones I can remember are,
Doug Chapman, Rob Mitton, both Ingleton, and Fred Richards, Bentham.
I think thats enough for now. I am sure you will remember many more.
Regards Dalesman.

125.jpg

■■■■■■■■■■■

Miss S:
I will ask my Dad I am sure he will have some stories to tell me bout some of these

Dalesman:
Hi.
Anyone Remeber these hauliers from the 40’s/50’s and earlier. P E Roberts, Ingleton. 3 smart gray tippers. J W Morphet, calf dealer Ingleton, 2 Austins.
Tommy Staveley, Ingleton, Cattle transport. 1 Seddon. Clem Bibby & Son, Ingleton, milk transport, 2 Seddons & 1Austin, (first wagon I drove).
Bill Jones, Ingleton. T & G Midleton, Ingleton, coal merchants. George Knowles, Westhouse, coal merchant. XL Granite had several 7 ton Bedfords.
O Patzelt, (a German) had a smart green Leyland Octopus tipper, on contract to Grenwoods quarry, Helwith Bridge, I think? Jack Wagget, Burton, knackerman, Ford A type. Joe Winn, Blacksmith, Bentham, 2 tippers, mainly on contract to Settle R D C, taken over by Steve Armsrong? Millers Bentham, milk transport. Tommy Slinger, Bentham, hay & sraw merchant. Bob Cowin, Bentham, livestock transport, 5 wagons. Jim Pedley, livestock, 2 wagons at one time. Tommy Hargreaves, Newby, general haulage. Jim Parkin, Eldroth, farmer & livestock, 1 Commer 15 mile radious B licence. Taken over by Carter Dent, Settle. Bill Coates, Settle, Coal merchant & haulage. Settle Limes Ltd, 1 Foden two stroke, 2 A E C’s tippers. Stainforth Haulage, several wagons, bought out by Howarth’s Ingleton. John Rushton, Long Preston, 2 Austins. Norman Hartley & son, Kirkby Lonsdale, 2 cattle wagons. Pelters, Wittington several tippers.
When Adam Lithgoe opened Ribblehead quarry they had several contractors working for them, carting and spredding lime, the ones I can remember are,
Regards Dalesman.

127.jpg

■■■■■■■■■■■

■■■■■■■■■■■

Miss S:

Dalesman:
Hi.
Regards Dalesman.

■■■■■■■■■■■

Miss S:

Dalesman:
Hi.
Regards Dalesman.

130.jpg

Dieselcowboy:
Chaps,
great thread. I am hoping some of you lads can help me, I did post a thread a long time ago and got zero response, but seeing the areas you chaps are talking about, I have fresh hope. I am trying to track down photos of trucks run by a company, but I am not sure where they were based. As a child I lived in a village called Warton, near Carnforth. A neighbour of mine worked for a firm called J.M.Staveley, and parked his Scania on his driveway, or if he had an early start in the village. They could have been based nearby, but we never visited the yard from what I remember. As far as I remember the cabs were red and they had white bumpers, and he had rigids as well as artics. He used to run up to Scotland to collect trailers from Stranraer, and I guess they tipped them in Northern England.My friends name was Bill McLaren, and when he left J.M.Staveley he went to work as a fitter for B&W Motors. Any leads would be welcome, I am thinking about writing a letter into a local paper to Carnforth to see if anyone recognises this and can help me with photo, but for the time being it would be great if someone recognises the company and remembers anything. Thanks.

123.jpg

■■■■■■■■■■■

Dieselcowboy:
Chaps,
great thread. I am hoping some of you lads can help me, I did post a thread a long time ago and got zero response, but seeing the areas you chaps are talking about, I have fresh hope. I am trying to track down photos of trucks run by a company, but I am not sure where they were based. As a child I lived in a village called Warton, near Carnforth. A neighbour of mine worked for a firm called J.M.Staveley, and parked his Scania on his driveway, or if he had an early start in the village. They could have been based nearby, but we never visited the yard from what I remember. As far as I remember the cabs were red and they had white bumpers, and he had rigids as well as artics. He used to run up to Scotland to collect trailers from Stranraer, and I guess they tipped them in Northern England.My friends name was Bill McLaren, and when he left J.M.Staveley he went to work as a fitter for B&W Motors. Any leads would be welcome, I am thinking about writing a letter into a local paper to Carnforth to see if anyone recognises this and can help me with photo, but for the time being it would be great if someone recognises the company and remembers anything. Thanks.

124.jpg