stiller group

12 month since anything was added to this thread so thought I would bring it back to page one to see if anyone has anything to add,
Stiller Mercedes' Dmount.jpg

Stanfield:
12 month since anything was added to this thread so thought I would bring it back to page one to see if anyone has anything to add,0

Aye John,he seems to be making ends meet at Aycliffe now,i live at Aycliffe, but i never see anything of paul now,maybe best after retiring 2 yeers ago.P.S.Did you ever get them photos him? Vic.

Hi Vic No never did get the pics,as you said it could be 2yrs rather than 2weeks.Get your robbie to put some of his pics on here and then put a link to his flickr site.

I remember Stillers in the 60s, The had one of the first MaggyDuetz,s artics, plus the got a new Andy Cap Guy Reg 13 VHN I was pally with the driver Syd ?, They used to run London quite often in those days, Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
I remember Stillers in the 60s, The had one of the first MaggyDuetz,s artics, plus the got a new Andy Cap Guy Reg 13 VHN I was pally with the driver Syd ?, They used to run London quite often in those days, Regards Larry

Larry that would be Syd Watkins, and i think this would be the Maggy Duetz, the first unit i had at Stillers in 72 .not me in the photo,Vic.PS Syd passed on a good few years back maybe 7.

Just looked up this photo 13 VHN will be the one at the far end,Vic

Thanks for the info, great photos, Syd was a canny lad, in fact all the Stillers lads that used to get into Tonys cafe in Mannsel St in London were good crack, we used to meet up in the Still & Star pub in the evening allong with loads of North East drivers, Happy Days , Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Thanks for the info, great photos, Syd was a canny lad, in fact all the Stillers lads that used to get into Tonys cafe in Mannsel St in London were good crack, we used to meet up in the Still & Star pub in the evening allong with loads of North East drivers, Happy Days , Larry.

You’ve just jogged the old brain cell there Larry,I remember that boozer in mansel st…If you closed your eyes at times you could swear you were in the N. east somewhere. The Brown Bear in Leman St was where I would usually have a pint,better “taking” somehow,even for a Cockney brew!!! Cheers Dennis.

Aye & The Farmers cafe next door, Minestonie soup with the alphabet noodles floating about in it, too much of that & you got the tex ritters. I heard one time that someone shot him in some dodgey family fued, he also had another cafe on Commercial Rd, a bit rough but the grub was canny, Happy days Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye & The Farmers cafe next door, Minestonie soup with the alphabet noodles floating about in it, too much of that & you got the tex ritters. I heard one time that someone shot him in some dodgey family fued, he also had another cafe on Commercial Rd, a bit rough but the grub was canny, Happy days Larry.

Your right there Larry,shootings,stabbings,fire bombings there was always summat going on round Aldgate and down Commercial Rd. never bothered us though the Greek Cypriots and the Turks just got on with their own battles oh! and the paddy’s wern’t averse to a bit of score settling now and again either ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

You’ve just jogged the old brain cell there Larry,I remember that boozer in mansel st…If you closed your eyes at times you could swear you were in the N. east somewhere. The Brown Bear in Leman St was where I would usually have a pint,better “taking” somehow,even for a Cockney brew!!! Cheers Dennis.

All this was going on before my time at Stillers,but i did use the Brown Bear at times but would be working for Tayforth at this time ,Vic.

I remember in the 60s coming down from Grangemouth & I came upon one of Stillers drivers cant think of his name , He had been sent up to Scotland to pick a 6wheeler Foden Mobile Crane up, & something went wrong with the gear change, this was on the A1 just south of Berwick, he managed to get it off the road, & I gave him a lift to the Tyne Bridge so he could get a lift to Darlington, he was one of the drivers who used to get down London when I did, perhaps you may have heard of this & know the driver, Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
I remember in the 60s coming down from Grangemouth & I came upon one of Stillers drivers cant think of his name , He had been sent up to Scotland to pick a 6wheeler Foden Mobile Crane up, & something went wrong with the gear change, this was on the A1 just south of Berwick, he managed to get it off the road, & I gave him a lift to the Tyne Bridge so he could get a lift to Darlington, he was one of the drivers who used to get down London when I did, perhaps you may have heard of this & know the driver, Regards Larry

No Larry never knew about this,it could of been one of about 22 drivers at Stillers at that time.

Dont remember seeing many of these in the Stiller fleet
Sed Atki belonging to Stillers.jpg

Stanfield:
Dont remember seeing many of these in the Stiller fleet0[/qu
there wernt a lot of them thank the lord John ,and i remember,things could of been getting bad then only a few reels on this one

being at Stillers serving my time in the workshop, About 76-ish, I remember the 1st Sed-Atki they bought. Was a day cab 400, fitted with Rolls 265. Think it used to do daily changeover with Reeds, The oppo motor on this run was a Merc day cab, possibly a 1618, one of the then new generation cabins. Carnt remember the drivers name, possibly [Ronny Davies] .

nevcambell:
being at Stillers serving my time in the workshop, About 76-ish, I remember the 1st Sed-Atki they bought. Was a day cab 400, fitted with Rolls 265. Think it used to do daily changeover with Reeds, The oppo motor on this run was a Merc day cab, possibly a 1618, one of the then new generation cabins. Carnt remember the drivers name, possibly [Ronny Davies] .

Yeah Nev your right,Ron Davies like a lot more of the old lads he’s been gone a good few years now. heres a photo of the Merc with Ron behind the wheel with a Reeds trailer on,Vic

5021611208_593f59cf4a_b.jpg

A more recent action shot - Tanker of course

Looks like they have got a bit of a spillage/cleanup on their hands there Steve,what do you think :question:

Stanfield:
Dont remember seeing many of these in the Stiller fleet0

If i remember correctly these trucks came along when they bought out Truckspeed at Scunthorpe.