Fairwood garage,swansea,south wales

i worked for aubry williams in the 70s he had4 scammel routman,s and4 fodens one volvo 6 wheeler which i drove for a while i allso worked up at fairwood diesel in upper killay years ago they had steam lorries roy the son ran the garage but he died quite young heart attack i think then colin the salesman managed the garage after roy,s death was a tragedy he was a good man there were 2 old fitters there brothers aubry was one i think the other was glyn allways arguing with each other happy days

I had a friend working in the garage, bob, he was there in the early 80s, another guy who lived nr me drove the cranes, cant think of his name, he was from motherwell.

its now at Sandbach.

before it was sold on, Mason bros did a lot of work to it.

johndavid:
i worked for aubry williams in the 70s he had4 scammel routman,s and4 fodens one volvo 6 wheeler which i drove for a while i allso worked up at fairwood diesel in upper killay years ago they had steam lorries roy the son ran the garage but he died quite young heart attack i think then colin the salesman managed the garage after roy,s death was a tragedy he was a good man there were 2 old fitters there brothers aubry was one i think the other was glyn allways arguing with each other happy days

HI chaps,
I can remember Aubrey having an Albion Reiver hauling iron ore from Swansea docks to Margham ,as well as hauling out of Onllwyn colliery . regards kk

John David said >>> but not quite 100% correct “the elder brother was not named Glyn”

“there were 2 old fitters there, brothers Aubrey was one i think the other was Glyn always arguing with each other happy days”

Aubrey Austin was the younger brother, the other brother was Phil Austin (my father) they both worked for Sam Jeffery from before the war years. Aubrey died mid 70’s from recurring problems associated with contracting Malaria out in Borneo during the war. They were quite different as brothers, Phil Austin was the grumpy one who usually annoyed his brother and others :slight_smile: but you could balance a three pence piece on a Gardner engine rocker cover after a rebuild he had completed.

Sam Jeffery was my God Father so I was allowed to be included as a 4 year old on work experience jaunts to Quarries, Mines, Docks, Fishing Vessels, Steel Works etc. etc. etc.

Sam’s son Roy died young and very sudden on holiday in Spain, he was out there with his wife Pam and his 2 young children on their annual holidays, Sam was never quite the same afterwards, after Sam died his daughter in law Pam ran Fairwood Garage until it ceased operating and closed, buildings were demolished but the family still held on to the site.

Thanks Phil “Jr” :laughing:

hi ,i used to work in fairwood garage in upper killay swansea at the time we were foden dealers and had a old foden recovery truck built by fodens,i am trying to trace what happend to it when it was sold and if any one has photos of it.

Can you tell a bit more about the truck? [model, year, axle configuration and type of recovery gear]

Where they anything to do with Fairwoods the Foden/Daf dealer near Newport?

The same outfit,a lot of firms had Fodens off Fairwood up this way, Nash Rocks,Kens Tipper Hire,plus others,a bloke called Colin something was the salesman.

ti think that foden wrecker was sold to mason bros in pembrokeshire,i will try to find out what happened to it.

hi dave
didnt know u worked for fairwood disel , i knew a chap called hayden a very good gardner fitter.
he also worked for illtyd thomas back in the late 79/80 while i was learning to be a fitter. i
a photo of the foden wrecker it was called golliath, i think only two ever built. its now back at
sandbach cheshire. bet u cant remember aurbry williams green/grey tippers another friend i knew
bob fitter for a williams. i also have photo of sam jeffries chinees six box van 1937 foden.

all for now daibootsy

hi ,iworked with hayden up in fairwood,he also had worked for d austain jones in penclawdd.as well as aubrey williams there was greenings tsp and also rewson tsp in dunvent.aubrey williams had cranes as well and i think the sons name was roger

daibootsy:
hi dave
didnt know u worked for fairwood disel , i knew a chap called hayden a very good gardner fitter.
he also worked for illtyd thomas back in the late 79/80 while i was learning to be a fitter. i
a photo of the foden wrecker it was called golliath, i think only two ever built. its now back at
sandbach cheshire. bet u cant remember aurbry williams green/grey tippers another friend i knew
bob fitter for a williams. i also have photo of sam jeffries chinees six box van 1937 foden.

all for now daibootsy

hi diesel doug,
didnt know u worked for praills cwmdu est. u would know some of my mates, dai edwards, kevin and
his brother who went to work for gen set p/talbot, and ian phillips, i used to work across the
road in a pie factory. every day igo over the garage with pie s for the lads. i was known as dai
the pie then.
daibootsy.