Enfield & Lea Valley Hauliers

[
HI AUSSIE.

ALAN HAYDON HERE EX HOWE EUROPEAN AND HERCOCK CONTINTAL NOW OWNER DRIVER REGARDS
MATE

quote=“AUSSIED”]I lived and worked in Enfield and the surrounding area for many years, It had a lot of haulage work based in Enfield, here are some I remember and some I used to work for.

W M WOODS (later became ROBA)
REDBURNS (Brimsdown)
T&T Transport
E E HOWE
HOWE EUROPEAN
LEGGETS (Chingford)
CAWTHORN & SINCLAIR had a depot in Waltham Cross also a big contract out of THORNS Brimsdown
TOMMY HARRIS (Top of Green Street)

Main companies for work were ENFIELD ROLLING MILLS, and ENFIELD CABLES, RUBEROID, AEI CABLES and many many more, the good old days you could finnish with one firm in the morning and start with another in the afternoon, and still get your old job back at the previous firm the next morning
[/quote]

reading this with great intrest i personally know every one on these people in the last postings many years ago o used to tip and load for des at hercocks i got sick of the sight of that bradford freight terminal bruda was the company i brought derek nickolds 2800 dks daf of him mo berckley was driving it at the time i allso used to tip and load mick nicholls trailers fruit at night then in to the foundery at fords to reload all right mick was i remember billy woosters driver paddy bob rolling it on the one way system in tottenham one of micky kipps oldf12s with a load of micks oranges on i worked with bill baxter and tont bradfield as well out of jones scrap yard i had 2 bulkers in there brittania rd was my yard i often used to block it with a fork lift when i had to lift a gearbox out arthur rafferty used to go mad waiting in his car waiting to pass jones scrap yard was a good old job but the manager there give me the nod it was in trouble and i went back doing italy bill baxter got knocked for a nice few quid my dad drove for maurice little child for years on the fruit then the metal box contract what about the ones that have not been mensioned woods from old rd roger markham he used to do all the paper for ruberiod joe tarrone had lorries in joneses and ruberoid his boys built the stubbins continental express empire micky kipps in theobalds yard lovely f12s and ford transcons all light blue paul bergen and tony millson both enfield men chris krone (kingsfield transport) and me (KEITH JORDAN) iv worked for me self for 30 year now did me 1st italy 30 year ago never forget meeting geoff richardson on hercocks in prato ahh happy days oh and not forgeting gary and neville titmarch

DAF UK would have bought that 2800 back just for the registration number. :grimacing:

The DKX was the 3300 engine

Hi All
My name is Pete King I used to work for Neville Titchmarsh at Freezywater Enfield from 1977 to 1978 we did work for LRC on the North Circular Road Walthamstow, i used to drive a Bedford TK box doing multidrops for LRC he also had artics DAF 2800 with box trls , The only driver i can remember there was Alan Knight when Titchmarsh transport folded he went to work for Transfleet ,in the workshop Chris Gunn and Colin (cant remember his last name) worked Colin sadly passed away having a minor op at hospital .
When he folded i went to work for Keith Farrow at that time he only had two trucks a Scania 80 and a DAF 1700,Derrick Pickett snr was the driver for Scania but was off long term sick after falling of the back of the truck so i drove it for a few months, Keith used to drive the DAF we used to do work for Ruberoid at Brimsdown.We used to park the trucks at Staceys yard Delamare Road Cheshunt ,good old Gerry (heard he passed away)the workshop was run by Peter Blanche he now owns a garage near Royston.
When Derrick Pickett snr came back to work Keith bought a ex Enfield Rolling Mills Volvo F86 six wheel rigid that i drove for a couple of years ,Keith then bought some more rigids and a new artic a DAF 2300 with a new tandem axle trailer which i went on to drive, because the company was getting bigger we needed a yard of our own so Keith bought a yard in Enstone Road Brimsdown and the firm kept growing with DAF rigids on contract to Ruberoid in there colours there was also a couple of ERF,s he then bought some Scania units 112,s a new one D225 THJ the first one to be done in black and silver that i drove and a ex petrol one that Dean Phipps drove .
I left in 1987 because i had moved my faimly up north the drivers i remember on Farrows were Derrick Pickett snr,Derrick Pickett jnr ,Paddy John Armstrong,Dean Phipps,Geoff ■■?Derrick jnrs brotherin law,
Drivers that i remember were Eddie Childs o/driver John Edmunds o/driver ■■? there are many but cant remebertheir names,
Still in touch with Keith and Jean Farrow and Dean Phipps

When I first started with W & M Woods of Old Rd Enfield, I’m positive the yard was shared with another haulier whose name I think ended with something “& Lee” they had if I remember correctly black S type Bedford artics, can anyone shed any light on them■■?

Ossie

tht would have leas direct

littlelegs:

Thats what i was thinking,but i was going to check with Dad first,as i am sure that he drove for them… :wink:

littlelegs:

Thats what i was thinking,but i was going to check with Dad first,as i am sure that he drove for them… :wink:

Oops double post :cry: :cry: :blush:

i think he did and your uncle

littlelegs:
i think he did and your uncle

Dad & Tony worked there in the mid to late 50’s…Is that you Ray ? :wink:

Well done littlelegs and Will, that was them Lea’s Direct thanks’ I was getting a head ache trying to think of them, any idea what became of them?

Ossie

they turned into w&mwood

what about eddie and johnny luther luther bros they used to have a yard in southbry rd just before enfield town

keith the thief:
what about eddie and johnny luther luther bros they used to have a yard in southbry rd just before enfield town

Hi Keith,
Seem to remember then having a small fleet of rigid’s, and an 8 wheeled Foden with a really smart paint job, always seemed to see it parked outside Charlie’s café down the highway.

Ossie

do you remember webbers ossie that was a smart fleet of 8 wheelers i believe thats where des lacey started his days in transport.

does any one remember kingsfield transport owned by my old mate chris krone i drove an old borderer aki for him it was the last job i had then i started on my own that was 30 years ago lol my dad worked for maurice little child (tommy jordan) for years first on the fruit then later on the metal box job you was talking about derek nickolds i brought his old 2800 dks daf of him it was a 1978 on an s plate i pulled a bulker out of joneses scrap yard with it long before bill baxter come in there i used to tip and load trailers for des at hercocks and mick nicholls as well all with me own unit kings field used to be behind the sun and woolpack along the highway and when i worked there he had moved to a yard along the river lea aT brouxbourne
smashin fella i went to his funeral bless him and what about micky kipps had all the f12s and transcons in the yard at theobalds grove he did the ruberoid work tuquoise blue trucks i remember tony bradfield having the old 140 scania that he brought at the howe auction in his front garden down mollison ave brimsdown ahh memories and dave sawyer still going strong now called motorway transport he has stood the test of time and some one mentioned location freight it is still trading im loading for him (dave seigne) next week full load out and back to almeria spain all removals now iv done his work on and of for the last 10 years (30inc location freight) he is still going strong he has lived in spain for 10 years now but has intrests in march in cambs

Hi Littlelegs,
Wasn’t Webbers first name Gerry? I do remember him, here’s another for you Jolly’s, had orange coloured motors on market work, who if I remember rightly had a yard in Ingersoll Rd down the highway
Only knew Des Lacey from Howe European then Hercocks.

Keith,
A good mate of mine Jack Street drove for Kingsfield for while, then got pulled for funny coloured diesel and turned it in, Jack had a heart attack two years ago and sadly died.

Ossie

jollys sold the yard to mick nicholls that yard was a bars…d to back in to especially if s and s the furnature transport peoples trucks was parked opposite lol and what about the tipper men kniftons punchy howard gabrial angel motors tulkon i was the tyre fitter there when i left school there yard then was were the bp in brimsdown is now that was after w m woods aka trailer 76 aka incotrans aka roba moved out tulkon brought it and paul bergen he used to have the yard next to the railway were mc donalds is no used to run old mans then ag short used to run a fleet of km bedfords out of jones scrap yard all brown in colour wages was ■■■■■ but the fiddle was good lol mate happy days

i remember jackie street he was good mates with ronnie nickalds wasnt jack a very tall man i was only a youth the last time i saw him he was on jimmy atwells with me dad when they was all in the same yard jimmy was married to maurice littlechilds daughter

Hi Keith, Yes that was jack, he was my best man when I got married many years ago, lost my wife to cancer a few years back, remarried two years ago Jack was coming to the wedding when two weeks before I got married he dropped down dead getting ready to go to work, so a week before I got married I was going to Jacks funeral, real diamond bloke, first met him when we worked on Angel Motors. Did a couple of years with Johnny Knifton (Hell driving) also at Jimmy Atwells for while with Jack the only other driver I can remember was Johnny Holland and he passed away a couple years ago. Knew Ronnie Nichols, and done a couple of jobs for Paul Bergen. The furniture haulier wasn’t that Shepherds? I think all jobs in them days where more about the fiddle than the wages, blimey that’s jogged a few memory cells, happy days.

Ossie