Enfield & Lea Valley Hauliers

formertrucker:
Only just found this thread and so am a bit out of date perhaps but I do remember Leggett Freightways of Chingford in the days when they were just on the cross roads. I drove for them for about six months back in 1982 on night trunk from the depot to Charnock Richard and back, driving one of their SedAks. At the time I was there the transport manager was Alan Gilzean, who used to play for Spurs alongside Jimmy Greaves, a great man to work for. In the office was Harvey Chown, son of Roger who was also one of their day drivers. The night trunk was ok until they started to get me to deliver the return load of Highland Spring to distribution depots in the Northampton area and that’s when I packed it in. Their depot moved down by the lock in the Lea Valley area, used to do a bit of subbing work for them when I was working for R A Haulage in Edmonton.

Well there ya go. :laughing:

Alan Gilzean was one of the transport managers at the Blue Dart Enfield depot on the A10 in 1975 shortly after he finished playing football for Spurs. As formertrucker said he was a great bloke to work for and got on well with all the drivers. Rikki contacted me nearly eight years ago after I had mentioned this on another thread to say that a bloke called James Morgan was trying to write a book about Alan but at the time I had no idea of where Alan was so I wasn’t much help to him.
After doing a bit of Googling just now it seems that James managed to write his book and Alan is doing O.K…result :wink:

e-mail received
Sent: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 am
To: mushroomman
we got this e-mail…

To: Salter, Andy (RBI-UK)
Sent: Sat Sep 26 23:48:28 2009
Subject: Access

I have just applied for access to the TruckNet website. I am a journalist with The Herald newspaper in Glasgow and the main reason for my application to your site is to establish contact with one of your members “mushroomman”. I am currently writing a book about Alan Gilzean, the former Dundee, Tottenham and Scotland footballer, and after a quick search on Google discovered that Alan was mushroomman’s depot manager at the Blue Dart in Enfield and was hoping to speak to him about his experiences with Alan.

I met with Alan as recently as this July and, after a series of discussions, he indicated that he did not want to be a part of an authorised account of his life. However, I feel passionately about the project and feel Alan’s story deserves to be told. I would be most grateful if you were able to help in this matter as trying to track Alan’s movements since his retirement from football have proved extremely difficult.

Best regards

James Morgan

scotsman.com/sport/football/ … -1-4044198