'Hell Drivers' & Colin Drinkwater

hi nigel,
just joined the other day, i have a resin Kew Dodge 1/50th scale cab which i purchased from www.littlebigtrux
.com/ they do quite a range of cabs that normally be hard to find plus other parts needed to make 1/50th
scale lorries, i hope this may be of some help to you,
regards
dinkyboy56

t hink collin drinkwater had somthing to do with bibfer up at gerards cross back in the late 50s, i drove a ti leyland tipper very high sided 8wheeler

MOC:
Good luck with your getting all your model information,one of the all time great old truck movies :sunglasses:

It was a good film especialy the speeded up bits never get round corners like that normaly lol

jeffrey ellener:

MOC:
Good luck with your getting all your model information,one of the all time great old truck movies :sunglasses:

A great, intense actor who died far too young.

Seen at Gaydon 2010.

Sadly I have to announce the passing of Colin Drinkwater.He was the Grandson of Walter the founder of WW Drinkwater (Willesden). Always prepared to innovate, he was instrumental in bringing the Dumpmaster compaction system over from the USA which was used extensively by Drinkwater Services a company of which he was a Director, later staying in the same role at Drinkwater Sabey.
He was a gentleman and will be fondly remembered by anyone who dealt with him especially his employees.

wrong thread

RIP to Colin Drinkwater, what a bizarre thing. I was doing something completely unrelated to lorries, films or trucknet.

I was looking for a car for our lad…

ebay.co.uk/itm/DODGE-KEW-MO … 2726946080

Click links to view

Scratch built■■?
How does anyone even begin to do stuff like that?
Its tough enough building a kit.That bloke was gifted.

The Dodge tipper in the film that crashed into the quarry was a really detailed model, I wonder if anyone still has it.

I’m doing research on the 1957 film, ‘Hell Drivers’, and wonder if anyone knows the whereabouts of Colin Drinkwater, whose family haulage business - W.W.Drinkwater of Willisden - supplied the trucks for the film. I’ve spoken with Bill Drinkwater Jnr, Colin’s cousin, but he doesn’t have an address for him. Colin is said to know most about the company’s involvement with the film and I’m keen to ask him questions about it.

Sticking with the ‘Hell Drivers’ theme - sort of - does anyone have an original sales brochure for the Kew Dodge 123 tipper, as used in the film? I’m looking for something that will illustrate the chassis and give full spec’s, as I’m also researching the possibility of a 1/24-scale kit of the Dodge. Bit of a long shot, I know. I’ve only ever seen one such thing on the net, in the States, and the guy wanted an arm and a leg for it (and the other arm and leg to post it). If you have one, and would be willing to share a scan of it, that would be great.

Biffer

Hi I know Colin Drinkwater very well, know as “drinky” to me.
I can give you his address by email but would not post on site for obvious reasons.Rob Biffa

HI THERE I BELIVE IT WAS 7 TON DODGES USED IN THE FILM I HAVE A DODGE 7 TON TIPPER LIKE THE ONES USED IN THE FILM I AM SURE I HAVE A SALES BROCHURE WHERE IN COVENTRY GET IN TOUCH

ME AGAIN IF GO TO BARTLETTS OLD AND NEW THERE IS A PHOTO

Here’s a couple of photos of the Dodge Kew (parrot nose) as they were called.I served my time working on these in the early 60s for a tipper company who ran these and the D308 Dodge.

Hi biffa.I like yourself have been trying to obtain a white metal kit of a parrot nose dodge tipper.My dad drove one when i was
a child and i have many fond memmories riding with him.Im hoping someone will know where we can obtain a kit,as it
would be a finishing touch to my collection of model lorries.I approached a company called kingfisher models once but
they told me that it was very costly to tool up.They said it was all about supply and demand,and did not think many
people would want to purchace that model.Good luck with this thread,and lets hope somebody comes up trumps.

Nigel - I’m pretty certain that there aren’t any models of the Kew Dodge in 1/50 scale, but if you’re handy with the modelling tools there are a few options in smaller scales. Many years ago, Dinky made two versions, a tipper and a market gardener’s lorry, both on a long chassis at about 1/60 scale. They are still quite common today at toyfairs and on Ebay and can be found fairly cheaply in need of restoration. Back in the nineties, a company called Canterbury Commercials (at 8, Hever Road, Canterbury) did a 1/76 whitemetal kit of the SWB tipper, and “Hawletts” transfers were available for it. It’s not currently available, but try the address above, now trading as “The Engine Works”, they may have some transfers left.
Currently available in 1/76 are examples from Base Toys at around a fiver each (which would need a bit of modification to the wheelbase and a new body building), and sets of parts from Road Transport Images (Look up their website). These come as separate Resin components - you match the cab, chassis, body and wheels from their range to suit you requirements. As far as I know, no other commercially available models have been made of this attractive lorry.
Good luck, Kevin.

Classic and Vintage Commercial magazine (Nov 2007) ran an article about the Hell Drivers film adding something on Drinkwaters and the real vehicles involved, although it wasn’t very detailed or contained technical info on the real Kew Dodge. However the Oct 2008 issue has a restoration of a Kew 105C and although this is a long wheelbase the shorter tipper chassis used the same construction method and components. Being a maker of 1/24 classic lorry models myself I would welcome a kit of this infamous vehicle and I’m sure other modellers would be interested. Emhar model kit makers recently produced a 1/24 plastic kit of the O Series Bedford and although at first it had a cool reception, once the word got around and pictures of completed models were seen it sold well, this was a very well detailed and manufactured kit in short wheelbase tipper and long wheelbase guise, as the pic below shows. Good luck with your project. Franky.