Leicester's Bygone's

i have pics of carlsberg brewery contractors lorrys ( walkers ,bulwark , coppenhagen transport,) and carlsberg distributors ltds own lorrys , where my dad worked from 1950s to 90s , i also worked their from 80s t0 90s

I seem to have missed seeing all those pics of the Wesmore and Ford fleets until now.

Thanks for putting them up.

I remember seeing Wesmore wagons in and out of Mt Sorrell all the time.

If you have any more please put them up.

Also any of the Leicester tipper companies I remember, Selby Garage, Kinch, Graham Voss, RC Tucker, BC Chapman, Alan Morrell, Ivor Brown, Gerald Smith, EE Spencer, Wood Solid Fuel, JT Newbold etc.
Most of them have packed up now but a few are still at it.

Ive put a couple of new pics up on the Mount Sorrell thread.

Have a look.

Cheers Mark

roadcommander2:
I seem to have missed seeing all those pics of the Wesmore and Ford fleets until now.

Also any of the Leicester tipper companies I remember, Selby Garage, Kinch, Graham Voss, RC Tucker, BC Chapman, Alan Morrell, Ivor Brown, Gerald Smith, EE Spencer, Wood Solid Fuel, JT Newbold etc.

Have a look.

Cheers Mark

knew most of them in my time in 'sorrell Mark,apart from Newbold’s.i think Bob Tucker is going under the name ‘Bagforce’.one of his old drivers,‘General’,was still driving for him last i heard.

I recall John Newbold passing away at a youngish age, and of course Ivor Brown (ex Long Eaton and Cradley speedway rider) is no longer with us either, but I have been away from the ‘game’ for nine years now so a lot has changed I imagine.

Pete.

While on the subject does anyone remember the very very large lad who worked out of Mountsorrel and drove a Foden, we used to run on various joint jobs with Redland when I was working for Tilcon and he had a real struggle at times to get out of the cab and had to undo his tail door before he backed onto the paver as he couldn’t get in between? He seemed a decent chap, but he couldn’t have been well.
Apologies, I should have posted this on the Mountsorrel Tipper thread! :blush:

Pete.

roadcommander2:

Have a look.

Cheers Mark

J T Newbolds are still going, saw a foden alpha 6 legger today.
EE Spencers (spenners) are still flying around.
Remember Walter Smiths from Groby, old boy who drove for them known as Duck Duck…

windrush:
While on the subject does anyone remember the very very large lad who worked out of Mountsorrel and drove a Foden, we used to run on various joint jobs with Redland when I was working for Tilcon and he had a real struggle at times to get out of the cab and had to undo his tail door before he backed onto the paver as he couldn’t get in between? He seemed a decent chap, but he couldn’t have been well.

Pete.

Pete,i think that would be ‘Salad Dodger’(had that tag on a number plate on the front of his truck!).can’t remember his real name,but a very nice lad,sadly passed away some years ago now.re.Ivor Brown,his lad Ant was driving his truck when i was in 'sorrell.

carryfast-yeti:

windrush:

Pete.

Pete,i think that would be ‘Salad Dodger’(had that tag on a number plate on the front of his truck!).can’t remember his real name,but a very nice lad,sadly passed away some years ago now.re.Ivor Brown,his lad Ant was driving his truck when i was in 'sorrell.

Thank’s for that C-Y, I seem to recall an item on East Midlands news a while ago about this overweight trucker who was stuck indoors and guessed that it might have been him. I THINK that his name was Peter, though not certain, he must have had a serious medical problem to be in that state but as you say he seemed a decent lad and it was a shame to see him like that, must have been a tremendous strain on his ‘ticker’ as well. I like ‘Salad Dodger’, shows that he had a sense of humour despite his condition!

Pete.

Braunstone Haulage.

HMT639L-001.jpg

Braunstone Haulage

AWX529X-001.jpg

Braunstone Haulage

Braunstone Haulage

YVO583Y-001.jpg

Braunstone Haulage. hope these pics are an intrest. i was truckdriver for Illtyd Thomas of Swansea. used to take B.S.C coils to
Metal Box Braunstone. tip load there drop trailer and pick up loaded scrap for swansea.

daibootsy:
Braunstone Haulage. hope these pics are an intrest. i was truckdriver for Illtyd Thomas of Swansea. used to take B.S.C coils to
Metal Box Braunstone. tip load there drop trailer and pick up loaded scrap for swansea.

thanks for posting those photo’s daibootsy,i think Stobarts are doing that job now…could be wrong though!

I have posted this on the Mountsorrel thread too…

Been gven this pic from a friend on Flickr

Please visit his pictures and heres the link to it.

Visit MR BG’s photos at flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/

flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/with/6146030981/

Cheers
Matt

Great couple of pics I found on the net of ARC Loughborough (I think)

Nice pics Bonkeydollocks, I’m guessing they were taken at Mount sorrell !

Where did you find these pictures Bonkey? its certainly ARC loughborough probably early 1970s…my dad used to work at ARC whitwick which was whitwick granite before that.

the pics taken at arc whitwick early 70s

My departed father was the weighbridge clerk at ARC whitwick until he retired in 1977.He had been a driver before then on a 1964 commer TNH265 and before that a maudsley badged 1950 Aec mammoth major HAY492.His name was Hughie Robinson