GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

I’ve just been talking to my old mate Colin Powell next door. He’s thrown a spanner in the works by telling me that he can remember SoM running big J 240s, but also that Hill’s Transport of Cardiff also had one.Now I was around lorries in Cardiff in the early 70s, mainly on AECs, but I can’t remember Hill’s having Big Js at all.
However, he’s quite adamant that he spoke to Hills driver at Strensham on the M5, and he showed him the 240 J.
Anyone else remember this?

by heck dennis , that 8 pot big j is like a plastic duck in the bath . every time you shove it under , it pops up somewhere else !! anon

rigsby:
by heck dennis , that 8 pot big j is like a plastic duck in the bath . every time you shove it under , it pops up somewhere else !! anon

hiya,
And I’ll bet Dennis’s good friend no other than Mr Carryfast would say it shouldn’t return to the surface if It’s got an 8 potter in it because the said gentleman describes the said engine as a ship’s anchor, so there.na na na na na.
thanks harry long retired

emmerson2:
I’ve just been talking to my old mate Colin Powell next door. He’s thrown a spanner in the works by telling me that he can remember SoM running big J 240s, but also that Hill’s Transport of Cardiff also had one.Now I was around lorries in Cardiff in the early 70s, mainly on AECs, but I can’t remember Hill’s having Big Js at all.
However, he’s quite adamant that he spoke to Hills driver at Strensham on the M5, and he showed him the 240 J.

someone else on this thread has confirmed that 40 Big J’s with 8LXB’S were produced,and 39 went to SoM,if Hill’s had one that’s the 40 accounted for !!!

Like my soup,the plot thickens!!!

Take it easy,

David :laughing:

5thwheel:

emmerson2:

someone else on this thread has confirmed that 40 Big J’s with 8LXB’S were produced,and 39 went to SoM,if Hill’s had one that’s the 40 accounted for !!!

Like my soup,the plot thickens!!!

Take it easy,

David :laughing:

M A Evans from Knighton,Radnorshire had the other one David.They bought it of lorry dealers Chaddesley Commercials from Kidderminster when it was six months old.It came from an oil company in Scotland.
David Edwards son of the owner Roy Edwards of M A Evans confirmed the same as yourself that Smiths had the other 39.
Cheers Dave.

We are going to need a calculator to add all these Big J 8 potters up,who else “ran” them ? Oh! and I’ve a shot of Hitler and Elvis sat in one on the Moon!!! Which I dare not put on the thread for H & S reasons!!! Atkinsons/ERF’s and Fodens obviously only got one or two as by the sound of things all the 8 pot Percy’s went to Fallings Park!! I can clearly hear the strains of “We all live in a Yellow submarine” Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
We are going to need a calculator to add all these Big J 8 potters up,who else “ran” them ? Oh! and I’ve a shot of Hitler and Elvis sat in one on the Moon!!! Which I dare not put on the thread for H & S reasons!!! Atkinsons/ERF’s and Fodens obviously only got one or two as by the sound of things all the 8 pot Percy’s went to Fallings Park!! I can clearly hear the strains of “We all live in a Yellow submarine” Cheers Dennis.

hiya,
Bet Elvis was in the driving seat,I once saw a picture of the “King” driving a lorry load of tyres supposedly before he hit the big time, and it wasn’t even sheeted, lucky he didn’t turn up at your place Dennis you’d have chased him with a flea in his ear.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

hiya,
Bet Elvis was in the driving seat,I once saw a picture of the “King” driving a lorry load of tyres supposedly before he hit the big time, and it wasn’t even sheeted, lucky he didn’t turn up at your place Dennis you’d have chased him with a flea in his ear.

As long as it wasn’t the ■■■■ that was sat in the passenger seat that turned up “H” or we’d all have been in the ■■■■!! cheers Dennis.

A popular wagon with the tanker fleets!

IMG_0004.jpg

adr:

Those Cannotwin Big Js were in and out of BP Baglan Bay all the time in the 70s on the styrene job,along with Coastal Roadways and Hemphills.

Chris Webb:

adr:

Those Cannotwin Big Js were in and out of BP Baglan Bay all the time in the 70s on the styrene job,along with Coastal Roadways and Hemphills.

hi chris,
i remember the wincanton yard in barry in the 70’s,big j’s and b series.i think? g.h. moreton have the yard now.
regards andrew.

pete 359:

Chris Webb:

adr:

hi chris,
i remember the wincanton yard in barry in the 70’s,big j’s and b series.i think? g.h. moreton have the yard now.
regards andrew.

Yes Andrew,they did two loads of styrene a day into BP Plastics at Sully - maybe three,can’t remember. Coastal Roadways were somewhere near the A48,was it Pyle or Kenfig Hill? Hemphill loaded two rail tank containers a day for overnighting to Sterling Mouldings at Stalybridge.I can’t remember where the rail terminal was,Cardiff maybe?

Nicholl’s or Hughes from Llanelli had a lot of Guy Big J’s on the 1970’s,quite a few drivers from the Kington area drove for them.Plain red units.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Nicholl’s or Hughes from Llanelli had a lot of Guy Big J’s on the 1970’s,quite a few drivers from the Kington area drove for them.Plain red units.
Cheers Dave.

Ah! but what engine did they use ? you’ve forgotten the punch line mate !!! Cheers Dennis.

Chris Webb:

pete 359:

Chris Webb:

adr:

hi chris,
regards andrew.

Yes Andrew,they did two loads of styrene a day into BP Plastics at Sully - maybe three,can’t remember. Coastal Roadways were somewhere near the A48,was it Pyle or Kenfig Hill? Hemphill loaded two rail tank containers a day for overnighting to Sterling Mouldings at Stalybridge.I can’t remember where the rail terminal was,Cardiff maybe?

hi chris,
a mate of my father’s lived in sully,when i was a kid.i used to love visiting him,his house was right by wincanton’s yard :laughing: coastal roadways were on village farm ind.estate in pyle,later became p&o roadways.they finished at pyle,i think? around 1998.
regards andrew.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Ah! but what engine did they use ? you’ve forgotten the punch line mate !!! Cheers Dennis.

You tell me,you are the expert :exclamation: My query related to the firm :exclamation:

pete 359:

hi chris,
a mate of my father’s lived in sully,when i was a kid.i used to love visiting him,his house was right by wincanton’s yard :laughing: coastal roadways were on village farm ind.estate in pyle,later became p&o roadways.they finished at pyle,i think? around 1998.
regards andrew.
[/quote]
Andrew,it was one of Coastal’s drivers that showed me the way back to Baglan Bay via turning off at Craven Arms and going through Leintwardine,eventually past Cray reservoir into Pontardawe,empty of course.He had an “A” series with the ■■■■■■■ and I had a Mandator,would be around 1975 ish I suppose.

that was a good short cut chris , we used it for many years . it could be very "interesting " with all the lime lorries going south and the steel lorries going north , tuck your mirrors in and take no prisoners was the motto . i don’t think it could be done now with a bloody great xf or a globetrotter , they wouldn’t get under the bridge at the top of the hill anyway , cheers , dave

Its still a route used by several lorries these days.No steel or lime lorries,except from the quarries this way.The likes of Roberts Transport of Knighton have long gone also a lot of other firms.
Cheers Dave.

reagle ill do it:
this thread still going on theres at least 5 drivers including me that have drove the guy with a 240 in it who have posted on this thread you lot seem to forget there wernt the camaras about them days that there is now

Its ok robin,these old duffers know there were guys with 240,s,they must have seen them when they were being overtook by them.
Its just their memories are gone.