British built trucks on continental work

Long time since we’ve had anything on here, but I reckon it’s worth resurrecting, so here’s something I found elsewhere on the net.

BRITS CON.jpg

Another sed ak on continental,290 roller 9sp fuller,ta,Pete

NPC405LMayssmall.jpg
1966 Erf.jpg
5804260721_a23b4bb1c2.jpg

AEC%20001.jpg

Guy Big J4T RK Crisp poss NTC335.jpg

0093.jpg
crus2.jpg

eg3lhc.jpg

5539096893_c73cf6c032_z.jpg
WHITTLE%20400%27s.jpg
CCF04022009_00012-1.jpg

4184700742_38ff8cda15.jpg
GB407.jpg

CCF20012009_00000.jpg

Having seen Nick Ball’s ERF and Mike Sargent’s even older ERF, I was wondering if anyones got any pictures
of old British built trucks on continental work.

gb1:
Having seen Nick Ball’s ERF and Mike Sargent’s even older ERF, I was wondering if anyones got any pictures
of old British built trucks on continental work.

Great subject choice! Here are a few to start you off. I do have some others, but I don’t have permission to post them

Spot the Jennings midget sleeper conversion on the back…

Said to be the first production 400 Series sleeper, and first registered by the factory in Oldham

Something of a rarity, the Krupp-cabbed Atkinson that was marketed very briefly in Belgium

Another rarity, the 38 ton ‘Leader’ introduced in 1970, but produced only until 1972 because the anticipated weight increase never did happen. Well, not until 1983, anyway! This particular one had the first ‘official’ Atkinson sleeper cab.

And these have previously been on the Bubblethread…

Bakers here in Southampton ran to Europe in the early days

Also Ken Lane as Springroad Transport ran Marathons

And of course there were loads of Transcons

John Pike drove this one for Jim Chandler RIP out of Poole

John Lee drove this one for Skilbeech

I expect Mappo will be along as he drove an ex BRS Middle East Marathon for Mick Hayes of Fareham

Regards Pat

There must be quite a few photos of British wagons on continental work as in the late 60s and early 70s I would estimate that around 80% of the wagons going over would be British and around 95% would be day cabs and there were a lot of scania’s which were day cabs I have been over in TK Bedfords, Scammell Highwayman,Scammell Crusaders.Scammell Samson Scammell Contractor’s and Atkinson View line the only pics I have which I can post are of the view line which was taken after I had left and my old man is in front and a Crusader. The BRS group did not have sleeper cabs then as the union would not have them, the first one they had was an ex Siddle C. Cook FB88 based at Birtley depot.
cheers Johnnie

Was there a British built Transcon - thought they were made in NL ?

sammyopisite:
There must be quite a few photos of British wagons on continental work as in the late 60s and early 70s I would estimate that around 80% of the wagons going over would be British and around 95% would be day cabs and there were a lot of scania’s which were day cabs I have been over in TK Bedfords, Scammell Highwayman,Scammell Crusaders.Scammell Samson Scammell Contractor’s and Atkinson View line the only pics I have which I can post are of the view line which was taken after I had left and my old man is in front and a Crusader. The BRS group did not have sleeper cabs then as the union would not have them, the first one they had was an ex Siddle C. Cook FB88 based at Birtley depot.
cheers Johnnie

hi sammy does anyone remember a short film of lowes paddock wood twin steer erf on continental work.i got dragged by my wife to see the sound of music early seventys but before the feature started a30min film about erf on european work might have been a pathe news film.by the way sammy what was your mate called who worked for scotherns & bsc

Hi revman he was Ian Fawdrey and will have retired now or should have :laughing:

Suedehead:

They were built in Amsterdam but they may get classed as British rather than American Fords, but the box of bits they built them from was European

sammyopisite:
The BRS group did not have sleeper cabs then as the union would not have them, the first one they had was an ex Siddle C. Cook FB88 based at Birtley depot.
cheers Johnnie

Stand by your beds Sandman Norman and Pikeman Harry Gill, although after Normans lucky escape in Istanbul you could only describe his cab as a half sleeper :slight_smile: .

Suedehead:

For the last 18 months or so of Its life the big Ford was produced by Foden, they turned out about 500 and in best Henry tradition you could have any colour you wanted as long as it was white.