North Wales Haulage company's

hi all, just been looking through pages bring memories. R J ROBERTS holyhead and brian pritchard bangor were always big firms in there day.HAD 12 years on contaners out holyhead to liverpool and shotton. also bringing cattle from ireland. met some good freinds all up coast and anglesy

Some of my mates new NR Evans MAN TGA…

Al

be good to see some john summers and other old shotton hauliers on this thread trevor

mike thomas:

do they still do work to s wales i would see them at hirwaen washery on the coal they would use the a470 more then the a49 , but they were using 8 leggers trevor

tastrucker:
be good to see some john summers and other old shotton hauliers on this thread trevor

As a young lad in the 50’s I lived just off the A41 in Wolverhampton, John Summers lorries came past in droves and rattled the windows on the house, you could hear an octopus coming from miles away !
Those lines of Summers Leylands were my first interest in lorries and I often wondered where they were heading !
When I walked to my grandparents house I had to pass John Thompsons the boiler makers, they had a steam traction engine that terrified the life out of me, I was to later on in my teens work with the driver Ted
who by then had a Scammell pioneer (which he hated, “a new fangled diesel ! with nowhere to cook his bacon&eggs” :slight_smile: ) and he became a good friend and taught me a lot!

Hello Gentlemen, Trev, in the 50s I used to watch lines of those John Summers Octopus 8wheelers charging through Albrighton, on the A41, long before the byepass was built. Best chip shop in the country was in the centre of Albrighton, line of squaddies from Cosford queing for supper! Always wanted to drive an Octopus, never have, though Paul Adams has one at the top of my lane. Great memories eh! Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Hello Gentlemen, Trev, in the 50s I used to watch lines of those John Summers Octopus 8wheelers charging through Albrighton, on the A41, long before the byepass was built. Best chip shop in the country was in the centre of Albrighton, line of squaddies from Cosford queing for supper! Always wanted to drive an Octopus, never have, though Paul Adams has one at the top of my lane. Great memories eh! Cheerio for now.

saviem,paul adams,surprised he doesnt come on here.bet he’s got some good old photos tucked away of the skip wagons !! :slight_smile:

Saviem:

hello trevh and saviem summers and brs queensferry were on the a41 everyday taking steel from shotton to the midlands and south many a squeddie hitced lifts with them in the 1960s alot of work to vauxhall at luton and later electrolux there as well . those old octopus later replaced by beaver artics and guy j units any photos i wonder ? Foden artics as well George mayors had Fodens to thank you trevor

Anyone got any pics of R.J Roberts’ Holyhead, Williams’, Mick Prichard’s or Osbourne Parry’s motors from the 80’s,the golden days of my career, it’s all gone to pot over the last 10 years or so, no fun any more.

hi promis, could not agree more. ha d some great times down the coast and a5 when every body on A M cb cheers charlie

promis:
Anyone got any pics of R.J Roberts’ Holyhead, Williams’, Mick Prichard’s or Osbourne Parry’s motors from the 80’s,the golden days of my career, it’s all gone to pot over the last 10 years or so, no fun any more.

I wish i did have more pics of Micks motors, i spent the 80’s in his yard as a kid but never had a camera! All just memories now!!!

Hi Charliemjp, The A5 before all the improvements used to sort the men from the boys, it’s like a motorway now but hardly any trucks on it appart from the locals and the odd foreigner going to Ireland following his sat nav,
It was a real white knuckle ride in my early days, backside chewing the seat up! LOL, I remember three of us going to Rogerstone with aluminium it was my first run there so I mentioned this to the other lads hoping to be able to hang on to their back door, their reply was " well you’ll just have to keep up cos were not waiting about for you" !!!, and off we went right foot on the boards all the way to make it in the four and a half, got there with out any dramas thankfully.

hi promis , i know what your saying , i would be coming up towards corwen and could here alan , george, john george and the rest of the lads coming down to on C B. one morn i t was very icey corwen area '. went past fish farm heading to bad bends, slowed down on first right and one micks came and he was only going slow. the road was li ke ice rink. we both stopped ,but slope of road slide in to one another, luckly missed cabs corner trailors hit. good times keep writing charlie