Pickfords Tank Haulage, Harold Woods and Tankfreight

sniffy that gulf tanker photo was first delivered to gulf ellsmere port reg L 901 LWT think i,m rite with the number , then it got transfered to the midlands i used to drive it at the port.smart motor used mainly on sainsbury and tesco deliveries , a six potter of 6000ltrs each pot .

I spotted some familiar faces in a rather rotund Mr Grimshaw and doom and gloom Donald. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi woodyinfrance you disturbed the grey cell there mate and welcome to the forum was the lad on the wash at the port Ellwyn and I lad I knew for a long time was at Tommy Allens then Norco which turned in to P.L. Transtore he then went on his own with a couple of MAN s for Britannia oil in Birkenhead when he was on Allens he used to have Everton flag in his cab which I think was a mamouth major unit.I knew davie when I was on Pickfords heavys and when I went to Sykes Bulk Liquids I ran with quite often.
Cheers Johnnie

shell_chemFL10:
Awww thanks mate my dad would of smiled at the picture but would of hated the jacket he’s wearing!!

CJA1 I Worked with your Dad! at Everards of Greenithe Before we both worked at T/F Urmston I was shop Steward Along side Your Dad, those Days we had two stewards, you wont remember but John And Me used to meet at his house {Your House} you were only small. Miss John RIP Happy Days.

Hi CJA1, There wern’t that many shop stewards in Urmston so I’m Presuming the Ciba Geigy Photo will be you then ?

Can You remember were and when it was taken

CJA1 … I need some help here, was’nt this you or Smithy drawing seawater from Portland bill to take back to the labs at Trafford Park ?

Hello
Heres some Tankfreight wagons at Marchon, Whitehaven (Photos from Facebook).
Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

NelsonsofArnside.jpg

scan0018%20-%20Copy.jpg

IMG_0017a.jpg

Cheers for those ■■■■■■■■ gill, who’s is the facebook page ?

Sniffy:
CJA1 … I need some help here, was’nt this you or Smithy drawing seawater from Portland bill to take back to the labs at Trafford Park ?

CJA1:
Sniffy… That was Smithy and me Loading at Pembroke Dock, on this occasion, and we often used to load, Nr the Texaco Refinery!! Good Pic"s Sniffy.

Sorry Steve I forgot about this thread so I have put this on for you aswell as on the the tanker thread mate.
transportphotos.com/road/photos
GM00091-05 Harold Wood  AEC Monarch.jpg

This is a Harold Wood truck, I started for them in 1978 at Thornaby, got made redundant in Nov 1980. This had a ■■■■■■■ (220 I think) and a David Brown 6 speed, took some winding up but on a motorway I could get it round to the stop on the speedo, (70mph no tachos then!) I have posted this elsewhere but should be on this thread as well. Regards, Mizzo.

dieseldave:

Sniffy:

Dave’s tanker trivia question…

Has anybody noticed a markings error?

:blush: :blush: I do apologise for not having spotted this much sooner. :blush: :blush:

Sniffy:
On Hazchems / without UN… specifically It appears to display a HIN rather than an EAC in the hazchem panel

If not, perhaps in need of a refresher…or a clue !!

Absolutely spot-on Sniffy, UK Hazard Warning Panels must use an EAC, so we don’t need a HIN!! :smiley:

Or, in other words, the “22” in the top part of the board should read “2T” instead.

mizzo:
This is a Harold Wood truck, I started for them in 1978 at Thornaby, got made redundant in Nov 1980. This had a ■■■■■■■ (220 I think) and a David Brown 6 speed, took some winding up but on a motorway I could get it round to the stop on the speedo, (70mph no tachos then!) I have posted this elsewhere but should be on this thread as well. Regards, Mizzo.

Mizzo - Presume this was the Phillips fuels contract before it moved on to Sadlers/Stillers

Sniffy:

mizzo:

Mizzo - Presume this was the Phillips fuels contract before it moved on to Sadlers/Stillers

Thats correct Sniffy, Harold Woods was becoming Tankfrieght when I started, we had most of the Phillips 66 contract, there were other hauliers on the contract, I think the one with the most trucks after us was John Formans soon to become part of P+O. Regards, Mizzo.

Sniffy:
Hi CJA1, There wern’t that many shop stewards in Urmston so I’m Presuming the Ciba Geigy Photo will be you then ?

Can You remember were and when it was taken

CJA1":
Hi Sniffy, Think that Pic was at a company called FILMCO at Sedgefield N/east Winter 84/5 I think? well memory is not what it was.

I don’t remember Filmco like that, when I went it was a block wall where you blew the sample through the wall, they rang a bell when they had enough, they then rang the bell again when they wanted you to tip. I only did powders into there though.

Sniffy, do you remember Hill gas, TF had a barrel in their colours working out of Immingham. Do you have any pictures of it? My old man used to drive it for a while.

steptoe:
Sniffy, do you remember Hill gas, TF had a barrel in their colours working out of Immingham. Do you have any pictures of it? My old man used to drive it for a while.

Steptoe, yes I remember Hillgas but I can’t find any photo’s, I’m still waiting for Mr brown to find his photo album, I’l bet theres one in there !

Sniffy:

steptoe:

Steptoe, yes I remember Hillgas but I can’t find any photo’s, I’m still waiting for Mr brown to find his photo album, I’l bet theres one in there !

If Brownie has some more pictures I will haunt him for them, pester them out of him.

Wheel Nut:
I don’t remember Filmco like that, when I went it was a block wall where you blew the sample through the wall, they rang a bell when they had enough, they then rang the bell again when they wanted you to tip. I only did powders into there though.

CJA1:
Hi Wheelnut Yeh" Powders were the other side mate, as you can see by the Silo"s at the back of the photo, we only did [Phalates DIOP DOP Esters] Cheers mate CJA1.