Old livestock hauliers shropshire

charliemjp:
hi gardner 120, read with intrest on the gardner starting,we had 3 180s they were not bad just plenty of smoke. trying to pic david.i rember haydons commer in shrewsbury and the erf s. 2 drivers came to haydons from a firm that did animal feeds out of pauls . i think the firm was called masons. rem joe and peter, last time saw peter driving coach out of haydons yard. must have known david regards charlie

Charlie, on page 11 of this thread is a photo of Joe Boon in a Leyland cab and Peter Taylor too (if it’s them you’re on about) Peter was there in the 70s, left and came back in the late 80s. Joe was there for ever!

Cheers

F2000 boy:
Don’t know whether any of you lads have mentioned him, but there used to be a chap from just over the north shropshire border, bronnington area if i remember rightly called eddie morgan. he had a day cab MAN at the end, early eighties i would think Almost certain he had it new of Manor Garages at Wrexham.

chepstowchap:

F2000 boy:
Don’t know whether any of you lads have mentioned him, but there used to be a chap from just over the north shropshire border, bronnington area if i remember rightly called eddie morgan. he had a day cab MAN at the end, early eighties i would think Almost certain he had it new of Manor Garages at Wrexham.

remember eddie morgan well ema was his 2nd man he had a p reg tractor unit before that & a p reg roman 4 wheeler, think when he ema85x new it came with a sleeper cab and it was swapped for the day cab.
ema 85x was wriitten off yards from eddie’s yard then after that he had an ex grocotts man which was left in there colours

watty1:

chepstowchap:

F2000 boy:

remember eddie morgan well ema was his 2nd man he had a p reg tractor unit before that & a p reg roman 4 wheeler, think when he ema85x new it came with a sleeper cab and it was swapped for the day cab, rumour at the time was that dave straw a livestock haulier from threapwood who had a new man 4 wheeler at the same time fitted with day cab and he wanted a sleeper so the cabs were swapped before delivery.
ema 85x was wriitten off yards from eddie’s yard then after that he had an ex grocotts man which was left in there colours[/quote romans bring back memories think gresford garage sold them before they sold man sure they sold fiat inbetween

hi all. hi gardner 120,thanksfor imfo on joe and peter. it was them in photo. it was mainly 4 and 6 wheelers of haydons in shrewsbury market. longmans 6 wheeler erf was also there i think his name john/. met up with john marsh recently of ron marsh .be nice to see some pictures of there trucks, if any ones got any.or shirleys cattle trucks thanks again gardner 120. ps good collection of pics of haydons

M J Parry

chepstowchap:
M J Parry

Is that the Kinnersley turn on the A4111/4112 near Eardisley CC ? Great pic.
Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave sorry for delay in replying .Only look at trucknet occasionally ,not sure were it was taken but certainly in that area Hope you are ok

hi chepstowchap hi dave hope you both well, like 8 wheeler pic i would agree on location. he has a good load on by the leen he has got on.i could be wrong and stand to be corrcted that truck is john morris cattle dealer from pulverbatch shrewsbury. the box lookes like it was built by parrys. enjoy photoes from you both thanks charlie

dessert driver:
Hi boys

chepstowchap:
Devenports F88 and drag at Oswestry stock market around 1985

watty1:
hi cheptow chap great photo of the f88, i believe its devonports of aston.
As anyone got any photos of there other lorries, a Treg volvo f10 6 wheeler and drag (which replaced the f88), an aec 6 wheeler, a T reg volvo artic (which replaced the aec).

chepstowchap thanks for the photo as you say watty1 Devenports of Aston. When they sold the artic unit we used to pull the 36ft trailer for them on busy days, mostly Welshpool Mondays, Oswestry Wednesdays and Beaston Fridays.Usally sheep to Kingsley,Frodsham or Longmans at Stoke.There was also a place on the out skirts of Wigan and sometimes Bamberbridge.As i’ve said before I drove the f10 wag and drag for a while IIRC that was an ex A1 transport and Brian and Jack transferred the box’s from the old f88.
As watty1 said any photos would be welcome

Regards Keith

hello boys, we purhcased the f10 and trailer from astons , we run it for 5 years on livestock then removed the box ,recabbed it then put in a 299 engine and run it with a piggy back until we sold it for export 4 years ago, i will try to find some pics

hi everyone only just joined as i was looking to see if anyone had any old photoes of sid downes wagon as he was me dad i used to drive for him i spent all my younger yrs in the cattle markets etc hes passed away now about 28 yrs ago but god thay was good times foor me miss it so much but as we never had camrara in them days never add any photos

143topline:

watty1:
hi ive recently joined the forum and was very interested in these posts my father run livestock lorries just over the border in wales but with a shropshire address.
there are a few livestock hauliers in this area that come to mind they are
JW Watson Bronington Whitchurch (my father)
Stocktons of whitchurch
Frank Edwards of Loppington
Dulsons of Whixall
Sid Downes Bagley Ellesmere

Does anyone remember any of these?

here is a line up at shrewsbury, thorneycroft of frank edwards, bedford of j pugh from lydbury north, and atkinson of f warburton
1961 i think about the time the new market was opened. went to the last market in the town by the river and the first one at the market at battlefield. market moved again a few years ago

remember eddie well he was big friend with me and me dad sid downes wonder if he still alive

R975ENC:

watty1:

chepstowchap:

F2000 boy:

remember eddie morgan well ema was his 2nd man he had a p reg tractor unit before that & a p reg roman 4 wheeler, think when he ema85x new it came with a sleeper cab and it was swapped for the day cab, rumour at the time was that dave straw a livestock haulier from threapwood who had a new man 4 wheeler at the same time fitted with day cab and he wanted a sleeper so the cabs were swapped before delivery.
ema 85x was wriitten off yards from eddie’s yard then after that he had an ex grocotts man which was left in there colours
[/quote romans bring back memories think gresford garage sold them before they sold man sure they sold fiat inbetween

hi barrybbbb, welcome. i rember sid well, he used to be in hordley.could be wrong i thought he had a dodge. did he used to park by earby deens bunglow at bagley. was reg stock man hordley relation or am i on wrong track. do you rem stocktons they had blue dodges . eddie morgan was a good bloke and used to do a lot of work for us at parrys. charlie

I have photos here of one of Crowthers in a 111 lorry and drag going to portugal with heifers in 1985 I cant remember the drivers name as it is some time ago. Do you no the big lad on parrys I used to see him when I was loading lambs around the welsh mks. I used to drive for Graham Gilder on the 4 decker O happy days.

hi real basher, be great to see crowthers on here,i no there is a pic of there E R F and trailor on here. just trying to think who it was on parrys i s i was there 68 to90 when they finished with trucks. was roger hamer at gilders when you were there. cheers charlie.

I have pictures of Crowthers down in Portugal with a load or heifers in a 111 lorry and drag wheres the big heavy lad who run Parrys livestock used to see him when loading lambs in knighton.

The big lad on parrys was the owner use to see him about I drove the 4 decker for graham from 84 to 91 then went to work in Ireland on the livestock to europe.

hi agian real basher , got it now it was john parry in market . i used to be in ireland b ringing cattle to fishguard where we had lairage and holyhead. it wa\ds prob 20 years ago. cxheers and meerry christmas

hi charliemjp did parrys do much out of Knighton market ? Would see you on the Leominster Brecon road sometimes from Fishguard .,in those AEC 8 wheelers bet they were heavy on the steering when loaded Trevor

hi tas trucker, we used to go to knighton on friday store cattle sales. we also picked up sheep on thursdays, i can rem picking sheep from knighton and kington and taking them to cornwall.on brechon road we could becoming from brecon or dale haffordwest.when coming from fishguard we mainly came cardigan aber. But sometimes we bought irish cattle back to crowthers craven arms so we would come that way.on the 8 wheelers they were not tso o bad. the biggest prob was when you had a trailer on and short of lock .i was lucky they bought me a new 4 wheel and trailor so i left the 8 wheelers. there i s a pic of the lorry and trailor on another page. did you go to knighton mart. thanks charlie