Ex Heavyweight Champion Boxer became a lorry driver?

3300John:
There was a boxer had a tansport cafe in the Horsley area nr Tipton,( maybe Gospel Oak Road) We’re going back to the 70s there was pictures and trophy’s on all the walls. The problem is I can’t remember the name of the cafe or the boxer but it was always a good food.Come on you Black Country Boys can you name this place.It was on a rat run between Dudley and Wednesbury.(was it the Oak Cafe)
John

jimmy boot/ yes iremember the oak caf it is now kenn fosters there also used to be a trasport caf in hilltop westbrom does any one remember that one. goig back to the boxing i use,to go to school with a good boxer in the early 70s is name was paul chance they nick named him the wednesbury wipit :slight_smile:

The Cafe on the right going in to Bridgewater was owned by Terry Downes, iirc.

Dieseldogsix:
The Cafe on the right going in to Bridgewater was owned by Terry Downes, iirc.

Hiya …is that the one we know as georges…it on the A38between taunton and bridgewater. used it millions of times.
John

Anyone remember Josie’s cafe Masborough Rotherham, her Husband or partner was Mike Marino wrestler in the 70’s

I can remember see Bruce Woodcock driving an S Type Bedford in Trafford Park, 50/60s, There was also another S Type knocking about at the same time with the name Jess B Woodcock, any relation ?< Regards Larry.

hi lads,there was woodcock transport that worked out of tinsley wire,rotherham, think there yard was off blackburn rd area, remember loading reinforcement bar out of a yard that was full of woodcock trailers there,that would be back in the mid 60Ty’s, have photo will post it on here if i find it, don’t know if they was owned by bruce woodcock the british heavy weight champion, seem like yesterday that we delivered AGL electrodes to tinsley wire and all the other steel manufacturers in the rotherhan and sheffield area, :confused: :confused: bumper

james boot:

3300John:
There was a boxer had a tansport cafe in the Horsley area nr Tipton,( maybe Gospel Oak Road) We’re going back to the 70s there was pictures and trophy’s on all the walls. The problem is I can’t remember the name of the cafe or the boxer but it was always a good food.Come on you Black Country Boys can you name this place.It was on a rat run between Dudley and Wednesbury.(was it the Oak Cafe)
John

jimmy boot/ yes iremember the oak caf it is now kenn fosters there also used to be a trasport caf in hilltop westbrom does any one remember that one. goig back to the boxing i use,to go to school with a good boxer in the early 70s is name was paul chance they nick named him the wednesbury wipit :slight_smile:

the cafe was turpins.the car sales office was the actual cafe !!.xmas time he used to put a tot of whisky in your tea.good ole cafe :slight_smile:.think it was randolph turpin who did the boxing

There was a B&B in Leamington Spa owned by an ex boxer called Turpin (could be Randolph) and I stayed there a couple of times when I had delivered brake fluid to a local factory. I think the factory was called something like Automotive products.

It must have been in the early 70’s when I was on contract to Shell Stanlow.

T.M.

I read that Don Cockell the former British heavyweight champion also had a go at road haulage after retiring from boxing,but then went back to being a blacksmith which was his trade.

TIPIT:
I had never heard of Bruce Woodcock (the Boxer) untill today, when my dad mentioned once seen him driving a lorry liveried up in his own name, passing through Stockport one time possibly in the early 60’s. He couldn’t remember anything about what type of lorry it was, but does anyone on here know anymore about it ?
I’ve just Googled his name to find some background on him and all it gives is that he was the British and European Champion between 1945 / 50, and after retirement he ran a pub in his home town of Doncaster, no mention of him going into haulage.

As a spotty faced apprentice mechanic in the 60s I worked at the ERF/ Dodge dealer in Edinburgh called James Bowen & Sons Ltd , one day 2 Dodges appeared to have some repairs carried out , one of which was driven by the owner a massive guy called Bruce Woodcock . I canot remember where they were based , Bruce Woodcock himself seemed to be a very nice person , the other driver did comment they never had any problems at some of the rougher cafe`s and driver digs that existed in those days .

Tankerman:
There was a B&B in Leamington Spa owned by an ex boxer called Turpin (could be Randolph) and I stayed there a couple of times when I had delivered brake fluid to a local factory. I think the factory was called something like Automotive products.

T.M.

From Wikipedia, apparently it was Gwens Cafe in Leamington.

According to articles, reports and a biography, Turpin couldn’t deal with the obscurity resulting from the loss of his crown. In Llandudno in Wales, he bought a public house on the Great Orme, which today retains several genuine artefacts from his career. Between 1952 and 1961, he was the registered licensee.[2]

After being declared bankrupt, Turpin committed suicide by shooting himself in 1966. It is reported that, on the same day, he tried to kill his daughter.[3]

On 17 May 1966 he was found dead in his home Gwen’s Transport Cafe in Leamington Spa where he lived with his wife and four daughters, one of his daughters, Carmen aged 4, was taken to hospital in Birmingham with two shot wounds.[4]

Pete.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I can remember see Bruce Woodcock driving an S Type Bedford in Trafford Park, 50/60s, There was also another S Type knocking about at the same time with the name Jess B Woodcock, any relation ?< Regards Larry.

Thanks for coming up with the make and model, Larry.

windrush:

Tankerman:

T.M.

From Wikipedia, apparently it was Gwens Cafe in Leamington.

According to articles, reports and a biography, Turpin couldn’t deal with the obscurity resulting from the loss of his crown. In Llandudno in Wales, he bought a public house on the Great Orme, which today retains several genuine artefacts from his career. Between 1952 and 1961, he was the registered licensee.[2]

After being declared bankrupt, Turpin committed suicide by shooting himself in 1966. It is reported that, on the same day, he tried to kill his daughter.[3]

On 17 May 1966 he was found dead in his home Gwen’s Transport Cafe in Leamington Spa where he lived with his wife and four daughters, one of his daughters, Carmen aged 4, was taken to hospital in Birmingham with two shot wounds.[4]

Pete.

I knew I was right about the Turpin connection and the cafe at Leamington Spa, his family must have continued to run it. I remember that there were photos of a boxer on the walls.

T.M.

Terry Spinks used to have the Coach and Horses on the A27 west of Lancing,nice guy.

Was in the jungle one night when a driver came in and who was driving a particular lorry that was nose to nose with him? two lads stuck there hands up and said (won’t be long) ten minutes later he came back and said come on lads, and was told to do one. He went back to his cab and returned and said my boss is with me and he says move now, you can guess the rest. It was Bruce . Joepipe

I can remember a lad from out Doncaster way I think his business name was Plantmaster , he did a bit of plant hire and bought and sold containers he used to buy a few off my boss . He used to run a ERF E series 8 wheeler and we did a few repairs for him . Anyway I believe that Bruce Woodcock was his grandfather . Long time ago now but I remember him telling us about the boxing and the lorries .l reckon this lad wouldn’t have taken any prisoners but he was great company when he called in . Regards Geoff

I had never heard of Bruce Woodcock (the Boxer) untill today, when my dad mentioned once seen him driving a lorry liveried up in his own name, passing through Stockport one time possibly in the early 60’s. He couldn’t remember anything about what type of lorry it was, but does anyone on here know anymore about it ?
I’ve just Googled his name to find some background on him and all it gives is that he was the British and European Champion between 1945 / 50, and after retirement he ran a pub in his home town of Doncaster, no mention of him going into haulage.

Hi Tipit
Bruce Woodcock the boxer used to manage a boxer who when he retired from the ring went into Haulage his name was Peter Aldridge (from Doncaster) after leaving transport he became a pub landlord down london somewhere.

John