BRACKMILLS HAULAGE

Between leaving Brackmills and starting on Bennies Trev Winston came to work with us on
David Abbott’s This pic was taken in Spain on a Mixed concrete site.
We took plant out from Woolaston. Jim

Project2.png

corby cranes

one brackmills volvo

My dad Brian Parker used to work for brackmills haulage 70’s 80’s early 90’s I remember him talking about bob read mick limmage.
I was talking to someone about where my dad worked and wondered if it was still going?
Then I came across this page.

hello all any old brackmills haulage / peter bennie drivers out there ive only been working for brackmills for 6yrs and how it changed since ive been there its come down from nearly 20 tractors to 3 now this is the motor i drive give us a wave if you see me around all the best Sam

when i was a kid i remember seeing the big cabbed yellow f12 on the a48 in south wales.i have a picture of it somewhere.

Hi Sam,

I remember the days when Brackmills had quite a few heavy haulage units including for a very short time, the Tractomas and the extended cab Volvo F12 BVV 26T (from memory).
That was back in the days when they were yellow! I think they went to the white and blue because they were moving alot of new Volvo plant from Duxford and that was Volvos corporate colours.

I was suprised to hear that they are down to 3 units.

How many tippers run under the Bennie name these days?
At one time there was quite a fleet of Volvo F7 eight wheelers?

Be please to see anymore pics of either Brackmills or Bennie that you have.

Cheers
Mark

Hi boys
Sam signs of the times down to 3 trucks. wonderd why I have’nt seen many of yours around lately.We seem to have picked up last couple of months, housing sites building like mad because they say they have not got many houses to sell if things pickup. Lets hope it carries on.Nice 450 by the way, on 6 axles,Cat 1 ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards Keith

Hi Sam. That’s a lovely shot of your motor. Nicely framed :wink: Have you got any more, maybe “on location” in a quarry? Would be nice see 'um.

Coming from Northampton, Brackmills Haulage was always on “my list” for photos. As a teenager I was down the yard as often as I could.
Originally the company was based at Pitsford within the Bennie camp, but then when Northampton expanded and the “new” Brackmills Industrial Estate was built, the heavy haulage div moved there, hence the co name.

Sam: Is Bob Read still around? He was the owner and I got on well with him. There was also Stuart in the office and Kelvin in the garage. Any of them around?

As far as drivers…I will always remember Trevor Winston, he took me out loads of times for “rides” during hols and at wkends. First truck I went in was Trev’s “new” F88. TNV 261R came from Volvo as a “demo” and was left in the black livery. It was left hand drive, 4x2, 240hp. I remember Trev cursing most days as he tried to get in/out of tight access, being LHD it was a bit of a pig. Nevertheless he loved the attention as it was “somewhat unusual”.
This not a very good angle pic

Then there was Cliff Skinner. No 1 driver and another good bloke. He always had the “biggest and best” trucks at Brackmills. He left and set up his own heavy haulage co. Is he still around?
He had the big Volvo F12 BVV 26T which was actually quite unreliable. Kept breaking half shafts due the chasis extension etc.
Here is Cliff (he’s sitting on roadside) broken down again… Most times it was on a hill! Note the Budge Mack parked up at the bottom of the hill.

After the F12 went, the Tractomas arrived and what a beast she was…You could wind the side window down and put your hand on the roof an F7 tipper!!!

I think there was an article in one of the Truck magazines about BIG LOUIE, so anyone can find it, can you scan and put it up here please…

There was also a lovely old Irish bloke but I cant remember his name, Pat, Mick…yeah I know its obvious, but I’ll get it one day… He had the other big motor (Brackmills always had 1 or 2 “big ones”) alongside Cliff.
Here are a couple of his…

But of course it was the tippers that started it all off. Bennie/Brackmills had an awesome fleet of F86 8 wheelers…

And a “one off” Slack Atki…Why?

And last but not least. I clearly remember asking Bob Read for the first time, if I could go for a ride in one the trucks. “Of course” he said. I was well excited and went to the yard expecting a really heavy load with police ■■■■■■ to a long distance location. I’d got my bag packed and plenty of camera film…Ended up going all the way to BanbuRy in the 7.5 tonner to pick up a hydraulic ram :blush: :imp:

It’s good to know (and see) that Brackmills is still going after what must be 30 years in business! Not bad considering times are so hard, even if they now only have 3 motors.

Keepthe photos coming Sam…it’s nice to see the new ones although I have to say the old ones look so much better (sorry mate)

Sam: Had a think and I reckon the Irish bloke was Jack Maher, but not 100%. See if you can ask around after him. He may have passed away now, was not “young” when I knew him.
And last I heard Trev Winston was back on Bennies driving a machine somewhere. Is he still around? ASH

Hi boys
Ash well done mate those photos are great. It’s nice to see some heavy stuff on here. Sam have you any more you can add, old or new.I used to see a few of your lads in different Volvo dept’s but not seen any for a while, do you still move for them?

Regards Keith.

wel the only ones left you may know is COLIN BURNHAM been ther since he left school STUART BALL a ex hills and middel east driver and NOBBY CLARK the fitter STUART COLES took reduntecy 4mths ago JOHNNY DUNCAN retired 5mths ago
and brackmills yard is nomore its all over at burton latimer with 11 tippers spred all over the countyill have some piccs up soon just got to load to photobucket
and the budge mack i used to drive that when it got sold of to the american circus in the 80s/90s got some pics of me with that some where too some more pics here
s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww209/2E0XOM/work/

i got some videos youtube.com/watch?v=bj2dOhI5HiE

truckerash:
Sam: Had a think and I reckon the Irish bloke was Jack Maher, but not 100%. See if you can ask around after him. He may have passed away now, was not “young” when I knew him.
And last I heard Trev Winston was back on Bennies driving a machine somewhere. Is he still around? ASH

jack still hangin in there live with is daughter in a pub neer foxton locks mkt harbro trev dont know where he is !

Hi SAM: Nice to know Jack’s still around…
Looked at the vid clips, luv the dog!

Sent you pm.

well at 21;00 tonite 14dec 2009 ive been told BRACKMILLS HAULAGE will no longer be as from 5,1,2010 so thats 1 more gone to the wind ny one want a heavy haul driver :cry:

Thats bad news Sam,

Hope you sort out another job before to long.

Is it just Brackmills or are Bennies finishing as well??

Are Bennies still ■■■■■■■ with Barton Plant ■■?

Ash,

Great photos as usual mate, do you have any more og the F86 tippers or the F7s for that matter?

Cheers
Mark

na just brackmills goinin iam lookoin for some pics of the old tippers i know some of the old fellas that have retired yrs ago that may have some cheers fa now Sam

is this the article Truckerash :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Does anyone know what happened to “Big Louie” , the Tractomas?? -did she stay with Brackmills or was she sold on to another operator?