A.E. Stuart & Sons Livestock Hauliers

Pebbles 74:
Hello all,

I’ve finally managed to get some of my Uncle’s photographs of his time at A.E. Stuart / Stuart’s Transport of Clyst St Mary near Exeter, posted in roughly chronological order:

This is my Uncle with the first lorry he dove for Stuart’s aged 18, CTA186L.
This photo was set-up, the Bedford did have a hitch but it never pulled a drag in anger.

At 21 he moved on to this Seddon Atki wagon & drag.

This AEC came second hand from a Shrewsbury operator.

This a shot of Stuart’s yard at Clyst St Mary sometime in the early 70s.
Stuart’s still hold the Volvo Truck & Bus franchise for the Westcountry, based at the same site.

One of several F88’s VOD247S.

Can you tell me where this photo was taken please? I used to see the F88s at Sturminster Newton market regularly

F12 BFJ960T which my Uncle drove from new.
This lorry was bought by Shropshire operator Gerald Britton when Stuart’s ceased haulage.

BFJ960T & VOD247S.

BFJ960T & an F10 of Stuart Snow from Andover.

BFJ960T & two Scanias of H.H. Williams from Gloucestershire.

BFJ960T & H.H. Williams Mack ‘Moo Mover’!

If anybody has any more photos of A.E. Stuart’s lorries or livestock transport / markets generally, it would be great to see them.

Hope you enjoy these!

Andrew Stone.

toplineruk:

Basilbrush:

Pebbles 74:
Evening All,
ask marty if he can remember stalling the TK going over the speed ramp in gordano services one night, gave us all a right good laugh looking outside as he came thundering in late one night.
My Uncle has unearthed some more photo’s of his time at AE Stuarts & I have finally got around to scanning them today. I hope they will be of interest to some of you.

This is the second TK that he drove for Stuart’s.

This line up include the AEC Mandator GNT163N & it’s ‘drag’ that was originally operated by MJ Parry of Bayston Hill, Shropshire. The furthest D Series Ford is still in the livery of Exeter Cattle Transport (Langford’s) who were bought out by Stuart’s.

This AEC was one of two that can to Stuart’s when they bought Exeter Cattle Transport. This one was converted into a wrecker, the other was run on as a livestock lorry.

Another shot of BFJ960T, the F12 that my Uncle drove from new.

Another of BFJ960T with Stuart Snow’s (Andover) F10. These last two will go on the F10, F12, F16 thread.

Hope you like them! Andrew Stone

More nice photos, thanks for posting them.

BB

I can remember when Stuart Snow had a Scania 80 6 wheeler, I think it was BOU 103K.

richardp2012:

toplineruk:

Basilbrush:

Pebbles 74:
Evening All,
ask marty if he can remember stalling the TK going over the speed ramp in gordano services one night, gave us all a right good laugh looking outside as he came thundering in late one night.
My Uncle has unearthed some more photo’s of his time at AE Stuarts & I have finally got around to scanning them today. I hope they will be of interest to some of you.

This is the second TK that he drove for Stuart’s.

This line up include the AEC Mandator GNT163N & it’s ‘drag’ that was originally operated by MJ Parry of Bayston Hill, Shropshire. The furthest D Series Ford is still in the livery of Exeter Cattle Transport (Langford’s) who were bought out by Stuart’s.

This AEC was one of two that can to Stuart’s when they bought Exeter Cattle Transport. This one was converted into a wrecker, the other was run on as a livestock lorry.

Another shot of BFJ960T, the F12 that my Uncle drove from new.

Another of BFJ960T with Stuart Snow’s (Andover) F10. These last two will go on the F10, F12, F16 thread.

Hope you like them! Andrew Stone

More nice photos, thanks for posting them.

BB

I can remember when Stuart Snow had a Scania 80 6 wheeler, I think it was BOU 103K.

My great uncle was Stuart snow and he was friends with Roy Stuart until Uncle sadly passed away last summer. we have found some photos which i will try to upload onto here. it would also be great to see some photos of the units over the years if anyone else has any. also i am having trouble viewing some of the photos on here does anyone know what to do? cheeres

Hello All,

Does anybody have any pictures of A.E. Stuart & Sons Livestock Hauliers from Exeter? My Uncle drove for them in the 70s & 80s.

Any westcounrty livestock haulage / market pictures would be interesting.

All the best,

Andrew

Hello all,

I’ve finally managed to get some of my Uncle’s photographs of his time at A.E. Stuart / Stuart’s Transport of Clyst St Mary near Exeter, posted in roughly chronological order:

This is my Uncle with the first lorry he dove for Stuart’s aged 18, CTA186L.
This photo was set-up, the Bedford did have a hitch but it never pulled a drag in anger.

At 21 he moved on to this Seddon Atki wagon & drag.

This AEC came second hand from a Shrewsbury operator.

This a shot of Stuart’s yard at Clyst St Mary sometime in the early 70s.
Stuart’s still hold the Volvo Truck & Bus franchise for the Westcountry, based at the same site.

One of several F88’s VOD247S.

F12 BFJ960T which my Uncle drove from new.
This lorry was bought by Shropshire operator Gerald Britton when Stuart’s ceased haulage.

BFJ960T & VOD247S.

BFJ960T & an F10 of Stuart Snow from Andover.

BFJ960T & two Scanias of H.H. Williams from Gloucestershire.

BFJ960T & H.H. Williams Mack ‘Moo Mover’!

If anybody has any more photos of A.E. Stuart’s lorries or livestock transport / markets generally, it would be great to see them.

Hope you enjoy these!

Andrew Stone.

great to see the photos andrew , thanks for posting them. i have an F7 eight wheelerand a poor photo of a scania 110, i will sort them and post
john

hi andrew heres thge F7 at barretts and baird, west bromwich

the ex stuarts volvo of gerald britton at hereford mart

Hello topline,

Many thanks for those, you certainly take some good clear shots! You obviously got around the markets a bit, were you driving, if so who for?

I’m of to Devon for the weekend so will show these to my Uncle. I’ll see if he can find any more photos.

What is your view on the AEC that Stuart’s had off the Shrewsbury operator - CNT163N. My Uncle thinks it came from ‘Perrys’ but wondered if it was Parrys - the colour scheme seems right? I read some lads talking about an operator called Perrys from Gobowen on another thread, did they haul livestock?

Anyway thanks again,

Andrew S

hi andrew
the aec was probably from m j parry from bayston hill, shrewsbury looking at the green and red livery, but i cannot confirm
i have never been involved in transport in a working capacity, just an enthusiast.
i was a butcher by trade and many years ago we had a small slaughterhouse at the rear of our shop in birmingham. i used to go to market on a monday with my father on school holidaysband had a ride back to birmingham in an o type bedford in the late 50’s. that was the beginning and i am still taking truck photos today, but the livestock lorries are harder to get these days, i was still buying at ludlow market up to a couple of years ago and always had the camera at the ready.
have a few other werst country motors in my collection- bampton cattle, tony england, gooding come to mind.
i am still looking for the stuart 110 pics , hope to find tomorrow but they are not as good as those i posted today
john

143topline:
have a few other werst country motors in my collection- bampton cattle, tony england, gooding come to mind.

as I know those 3 well, I’d love to see some of your pics :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Some lovely photos of the cattle trucks of yesteryear. I knew Tom who drove the Mack for Harold Williams. How I’ve wished I’d taken more photos of them over the years. Gloucester market used to bo full of them & I guess I was no different from anyone else & just treated it like another day at the market.

Now it’s a B&Q & a shoping centre, I certainly feel a bot different about it. Thanks to those who posted the photos & I hope they keep coming.

BB

143topline:
hi andrew
the aec was probably from m j parry from bayston hill, shrewsbury looking at the green and red livery, but i cannot confirm
i have never been involved in transport in a working capacity, just an enthusiast.
i was a butcher by trade and many years ago we had a small slaughterhouse at the rear of our shop in birmingham. i used to go to market on a monday with my father on school holidaysband had a ride back to birmingham in an o type bedford in the late 50’s. that was the beginning and i am still taking truck photos today, but the livestock lorries are harder to get these days, i was still buying at ludlow market up to a couple of years ago and always had the camera at the ready.
i am still looking for the stuart 110 pics , hope to find tomorrow but they are not as good as those i posted today
john

I to would love to see any photos you may have 143 topline. I spent many days when ?I should have ben at school sitting in a cattle truck but never had a camera. Never got to Ludlow market though. The nearest I got to there was Bridgenorth market when my late brother drove a Thames Trader cattle truck for John Troughton. We went to Bridgenorth to fetch a load of pigs back to Baxters slaughterhouse in Gloucester. I often pass the end of the road where Baxters used to be & think of that trip.

BB

Hello Andrew
I remember your uncle Marty when he drove the bedford at A E Stuarts and son and remember when he had BFJ 960T from new. I can recall stuarts when they operated from Ottery ST Mary and moved to Clyst ST Mary and used to ride along with marty and had some right good laughs and then i passed my hgv and drove for them for many a year and like all the other who worked there it was a very sad loss when the gave up transporting cattle ect bur i suppose all good things must come to an end

they like renaults down in devon. rh gooding wagon and drag at barretts and baird west bromwich

bampton cattle transport, scania 113 at truckhaven west bromwich

A framed painting on my wall :laughing: :smiley: Pebbles has seen them before i think.

toplineruk:
Hello Andrew
I remember your uncle Marty when he drove the bedford at A E Stuarts and son and remember when he had BFJ 960T from new. I can recall stuarts when they operated from Ottery ST Mary and moved to Clyst ST Mary and used to ride along with marty and had some right good laughs and then i passed my hgv and drove for them for many a year and like all the other who worked there it was a very sad loss when the gave up transporting cattle ect bur i suppose all good things must come to an end

Hello toplineruk,
Good to hear from you, apologies for not getting back to you before, not been on-line much in the last few weeks. I’ll mention your message to Martin when I speak to him next. He is driving for Halse of Honiton now, delivering farm machinery all over the South West & a lot further afield sometimes.

I can just about remember when hes was working for Stuart’s only being about 4 or 5 years old at the time. I can remember riding in BFJ960T on a couple of occasions. I also remember Martin pulling her up outside Mum & Dads at Fenny Bridges with a bullock that had managed to get one of it’s back legs up & over the back gates, that took a bit of sorting out! I’m hoping to get some more of his Stuart’s photo’s on here.

I’ve got some of Martin’s photo’s from when he was driving for my Dad that I’m going to post on the Devon Companies thread.

All the best, Andrew Stone

143topline,

Nice to see one of Gooding’s, that one was driven by Mark Gooding, the oldest of the three lads. A lot of the reason that there are a lot of Renaults running is that many of the firms used to run Dodges & stayed with that dealer (Devon County Commercials in this case) when the had to be replaced.

It’s a very small world sometimes… The chap that used to do Gooding’s servicing & repairs also did my Dad’s for a long while. I was also at school with the three Gooding lads, the middle one Christopher being a year older than me. Last time I heard Gooding’s had a Volvo FH tractor pulling for Heltor which Chris was driving.

I would like to see your photo of Stuart’s Scaina 110 if possible. I never realised Stuart’s ran any Scanias (being Volvo through & through), my Uncle says they had two, both before his time there, but they gave a fair bit of trouble & didn’t stay very long.

All the best, Andrew Stone

The AEC (GNT 163 N) pictured here in this section was bought new by Geoff Parry (M.J.Parry & Sons) as AEC Mandator long wheelbase, drawbar spec and towing a Doughty drawbar trailer, both fitted with plywood 3 deck sheep bodies made by Geoff Parry in his own bodyshop at Bayston Hill. Charlie Edwards drove this vehicle from new. We ran a matching outfit converted from a AEC mammoth Minor twin steer tractor unit (KUJ 311 F), again fitted with 3 deck sheep bodies, this was driven by Paul Cadwallader, another youngster (at the that time). I do not have any pictures of KUJ 311F when converted to a long wheelbase drawbar 6 wheeler. The AEC Mustang pictured outside Barrets and Baird, PSA 304 is now in the porcess of being restored, and hopefully will be fitted with replica Thornes 22ft 3 deck body. I will post pictures as soon as we have fitted the cab…The AEC Mercury (303 DLW) I show at the moment is fitted with a Crump (Wrexham) body, we only had one from this bodybuilder. The vehicle and body are an exact replica to KHG 832 AEC Mercury with Crump body ran in the 1960s, and driven by Bill Bufton!! The rest of the bodies were all Thornes of Dorrington, until Geoff Parry started his own body shop in the early 1970s. Thats all for now…