Leighton Transport Kidderminster

Hi All, this brought back some memories. I too was a cab mutt for many years with my dad -he was subbie on Fransens in the late 70’s -Ken Mills from Hereford, I remember sitting outside the Oldfield on more than 1 occasion too.
I remember a few names/ people from Fransen at the time - see if I can jog a few memories;
Peter leak, Jo Borg, Brian Cooper - all Fransen drivers
Dennis Mortimor, Peter Dyke, Selwyn■■?, Wurzel■■?(think he drove for Dave Prince), Brian Shaw (and his 2nd truck driven by Paula) all subbies - Anyone remember Malcom??- think he drove for Leighton, lived in Pershore, I remember having a lift to Folkestone with him once when I was about 12yrs old.

I live in Oz now, had a few years driving here (was an OD in Uk during 1990’s) - if anyone wants any info etc on trucks here I’m happy to help if I can -khtsmills@hotmail.com

cheers all
Keith

kmills:
Hi All, this brought back some memories. I too was a cab mutt for many years with my dad -he was subbie on Fransens in the late 70’s -Ken Mills from Hereford, I remember sitting outside the Oldfield on more than 1 occasion too.
I remember a few names/ people from Fransen at the time - see if I can jog a few memories;
Peter leak, Jo Borg, Brian Cooper - all Fransen drivers
Dennis Mortimor, Peter Dyke, Selwyn■■?, Wurzel■■?(think he drove for Dave Prince), Brian Shaw (and his 2nd truck driven by Paula) all subbies - Anyone remember Malcom??- think he drove for Leighton, lived in Pershore, I remember having a lift to Folkestone with him once when I was about 12yrs old.

I live in Oz now, had a few years driving here (was an OD in Uk during 1990’s) - if anyone wants any info etc on trucks here I’m happy to help if I can -khtsmills@hotmail.com

cheers all
Keith

I used to meet Brian Shaw alot on the olau line out off sheerness,he had a 2800 daf then bought a 3300.Paula worked for grangewoods then went on with Brian.I think Brian lived in hemel hempstead.I mentioned Martin Chance in an earlier post,i know he lived in kidderminster and pulled for fransen (IT holland) i don,t know if he worked for prince or leighton but he was good friends of Phil that drove for leighton.

maverick72:

ainacs:
This was on another thread;

stumbled upon this today… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Wasnt anybody around that i could speak to about this belter… so need to do some more investigations about it methinks…

Does anybody think they know what the livery would have been…■■

please enjoy…

Did Geoff have any 141’s?

Looks like one of Tommy Bakers motors

this looks a lot like a ex thomasons of northwich :question:

I used to ride shotgun with Steve Greenhill for a while and later used to deliver and fit the phones with him as well.

Also remember Jez Atkinson as it wasmy old man that sold him the orange Commer.

Hi gpGeoff, he old man has just moved back to hartlebury after a spell inforumswww.

Jeff

davycrockett:
Hi All, i,m pleased to be part of the memories driving for Geoff during the 70,s, my Scania was a 110 reg TUY 740L, i remember Phil, Steve, Johnny Bond, Jez atkinson and Pete the mechanic and of course Geoff himself, his dad H when he was the owner of the Oldfield inn , these photos of the yard in Stourbridge road certainly bring back old memories of my early days of driving back and forth to Llanwern.

Here i am 30 years later and still driving for the Council albeit mostly sat on my backside in an office.

Dave K

Hey,i can always remember when you ran out of diesel North of Strensham on the way back to the yard…I towed you up to Whittington of the M5…We all laughed when you asked who was going to ■■■■ the diesel out of my tank…I know you got the answer “Who’s out of diesel ?” You ended up doing it,but with a good gob full of the nice stuff.we ■■■■■■ ourselves,nice taste mate…NOT !!!

Hodgy67:

Geoff L:
Hi Guys

Good to hear from you all, i thought you all would have forgotten me , but not so as it seems. Yes they were good days and times and when i sometimes sit back and think about it it makes me feel very sad that its no longer there.

I still own the yard on Hoo Farm Industrial est.

Brian the answer to your question do I still work for Stiller is no. I left Stiller approx 6 years ago and went to work for Inavate Logistics as works manager at Round Oak Rail.
Inavate went bust and Corus bought the rail side of Inavate and 12 months down the road they made me redundent.
Im now drive a Sprinter van part time delivering quads for Apache Quads
Well guys its fantastic to hear from you all and i hope you are all well and give my regards to anyone who knows me
If anyone would like to contact me my mobie number is 07794251686 my email address is Geoffleighton@live.co.uk

Hi Geoff, welcome to truck net, i used to enjoy my saturdays and school holidays in the old yard at Kiddy and out in the Scania 111,141, fond memories :smiley: Post some more photos please and have you any Fransen pics cheers Tony.

Hi Geoff are you the ex Cardiff transport manager cheers john from port talbot

Leighton Transport
Ombersley, (Kidderminster)
Worcs

Annyone out there remember theese they were always pullin steel from s wales and also had trucks on contract to Fransen Transport UK Kidderminster… some picsThe Fransen truck pictured is of Leightons.

Im sure someone on this site rembers G H LEIGHTON Transport of Kidderminster :astonished:

Did you work for Leightons
I last saw Geoff about 6 months ago.

Kate:
Did you work for Leightons
I last saw Geoff about 6 months ago.

No i never had the pleasure those photos ive put up were taken by me when i was 11 years old!!.But was always at the oldfield inn (now a chineese) in ombersley with geof and all the drivers on a sat after work, in the seventies… in the car park with a coke an a packet of plain crisps lol sat in a nice new scania :smiley:

i worked for geoff in 1986/7 , that scani in the first pic looks like the 111 hush power i inherited from gypo Jim , the second one looks like one of a pair geoff bought of henk when he was down broadwaters - good man Geoff , we had some laughs in my short time with him , Barty, Danny seph, gypo Jim and a few others - nutters the lot but good drivers - pity about the nutters on the m50 who ruined the firm , his dad owned the oldfield and we spent our wages in there or the viaduct , good days :smiley: :smiley: thanks for the memorys - Malc

poptop2:
i worked for geoff in 1986/7 , that scani in the first pic looks like the 111 hush power i inherited from gypo Jim , the second one looks like one of a pair geoff bought of henk when he was down broadwaters - good man Geoff , we had some laughs in my short time with him , Barty, Danny seph, gypo Jim and a few others - nutters the lot but good drivers - pity about the nutters on the m50 who ruined the firm , his dad owned the oldfield and we spent our wages in there or the viaduct , good days :smiley: :smiley: thanks for the memorys - Malc

To enlighten you , we ran out of Kidderminster , we were paid a basic £106 per week , then 10% of the first £1000 of trucking and 20% of the next £1000 worth , so if we did £2k of haulage in a week we could earn £406 which was bloody good money in those days , but boy did you graft for that , roping n sheeting , waiting in queues at steelworks or sites could drive you crackers and unless you were lucky you never made £2k.
Mr leighton once gave me a roasting for paying parking fee’s on a service station , i had been out for two weeks running steel out of Ravenscraig and wanted a wash and a proper meal but this was frowned upon by Geoff , he paid it but told me not to do it again .
The thing was he made most of the wages back in his dads pub , because when you finished on a saturday lunchtime after washing your motor you had to go there to collect your wages and it would have been impolite not to have a couple .
On leightons i went to places chasing loads that i am still remembering 25 years later as i turn up at their gates and think - i have been here before !.

most unsual to see the fleet all together.

Tingtong & fluffy waiting for a pint after a long week

Brian restoring ONX840W after a crash on the M4

F269boc needing a good wash after a long week on the road

Hi Geoff,

Hope you’re keeping well. Are you still with Stiller - Carline?

Best regards,

Brian Williams

Hello Geoff, i used to cab mutt with Tidmarsh in the 70s and make you tea on saturday mornings in the yard, good times…im still in contact with Andy Taylor who used to drive for you. Hope your well ill let Phil Tidmarsh know your still around.

Geoff some pics for you of your old yard 1980.

ONX840W New and Geoff in the grey overall TNX607R on the right.