MMD Portsmouth (Mainland Market Deliveries)

haddy:
Hi haddy it was my dad ron daniels that lost he,s life in 1970 unfortunately i did,nt get to meet him as my mum was 8 months pregnant with me when he was killed in the tragic accident, thought id come on this site see what i could find out about my dad, my mum recognises alot of the names on here.

Dont suppose “lofty” is still on the gate at flathouse ■■ :astonished:

ronata daniels:

haddy:
Hi haddy it was my dad ron daniels that lost he,s life in 1970 unfortunately i did,nt get to meet him as my mum was 8 months pregnant with me when he was killed in the tragic accident, thought id come on this site see what i could find out about my dad, my mum recognises alot of the names on here.

Hello Ronata, I knew somebody would eventually reply to my post about this tragedy. I don’t think ever met your dad, well having said that I suppose it was possible because long ago drivers used to mix more, especially in 24hr cafes in the middle of the night. It was the “done thing” to have collections in transport cafes for the families of the unfortunate victims of traffic accidents. You don’t see much of that nowadays. Nice of you to reply, best regards David Hadingham ( Haddy ) Gt. Yarmouth, Norfolk.

Thankyou very much for your reply haddy hopefully other drivers will get back to me who knew my dad heard lots of stories from my mum she has told me about the collections thankyou again . Ronata

Don’t know anything about the company but I found this picture in an old album recently

Hi Ronata,
Welcome to TruckNet, I remember your Dad, when I used to load off Flathouse,the Camber etc. and also on a Sunday night when we used to stop at the Carnarvon Arms pub at Newbury on the way to markets, if you could get parked !with MMD,Burnetts,Tom Cobb,Percy Powell etc all lined up on the A34 on the verge,can’t imagine doing that now !

I’m sorry you never got to meet him,one of my drivers from Petersfield had an accident on the A11 in the same area,another truck hit him head on,he survived but smashed his legs badly.

Regards
Richard

dbcooper:
worked as a subbie for them in the late 70s early eighties, with rigid flatbeds delivering to the london markets
absolute crap rates for the job but a good crac,plenty of good ole boys on there. only place i know that called a 7.5tonner
a five tonner!

Hi any Portsmouth drivers have any info or pics of Aspinall’s transport ltd thanks Mike D

Hi my name is Pete constant I worked for MMD from1974 till2011 as a driver the magirus deutz in photo I had from new

pdw:
posted this one a good while back of the skate outfit.

How do I post photos

pdw:
posted this one a good while back of the skate outfit.

I was just to log off when I noticed someone said about going Scotch from Portsmouth. Try doing it in a 150 Atkinson with no heater That was hard

P constant:
Hi my name is Pete constant I worked for MMD from1974 till2011 as a driver the magirus deutz in photo I had from new

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Hi drivers just thought this might be of interest working Harry’s grape boat at Dover a very long timeago

IMG_0099.JPG

dafaiddan:

mouse:
thanks for the comments guys, does anyone have any pictures of the SK’s or ERF’s? or are there any ex drivers around??

hello mate , i have some photos, my dad also was a driver, he started back in the 60,s and 70s 80s 90s left and came back about 5 times, the longest time was 19 years, he was still driving 4 mmd at the age of 72, when i was a boy , he drove a volvo f86 and had the 1st new 1628 merc FBP 221X,DAF 2500… A347 MJT and a DAF 2800ATI D381JRU, ERF S313 ,various daf 95XF,and all of the DAF 105,s before retireing at 2009,he was allway a truck driver in the town, JOHN PULLEYBLANK photo 2 follow

Hi dafaiddan i knew your dad well as far back as when he drove for cris Davison with jack Webb .I think your name is Danny .You came to flat house to fix my motor a few times Pete constant

P constant:

Hi drivers just found two more photos

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

Hi Pete,

Was John Rickman in the workshop when you were there ? and George in Cosham high st. workshop.
I remember Jock who worked for Chris Davidson pulling Commodore boxes off the quay.
Regards
Richard

Mainland Market Deliveries. Used to see them round the markets.

86715785_10216012867851509_2150454906375372800_n.jpg

P constant:

P constant:

Hi drivers just found two more photos

Hi Pete I work at AFS and Gary mellish who worked for MMD works on nights going to the Pallet ways Greenford hub
He regularly talks about the things he used to get up to on MMD [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember the ex MMD ERF EC14 ‘s being used pulling some nice Wilcox bodied tipper trailers with barn doors but the operators name I cant remember?

MMD

Morning all,
I have posted this on truck net before, taken when we took a load of customers to Sweden.
How many do you recognise ■■? Harvey
PS Besides ROY of course.