Hawcutts of Wolvey

roadcommander2:
Does anyone know what happened to Hawcutts?

They had a smart mixed fleet in a bright red livery with yellow signwriting.

They ran at least one eight-wheel ERF tipper, ERF tractor units, a very smart A reg Bedford TM four wheeler rigid and a Cargo road sweeper amongst others.

I had heard that they had packed up in the mid 1990s but dont know for sure.

What do you know?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark, I’m ■■■■ Hawcutt yes I am a family member and know exactly what happened to Hawcutts Transport. Jack & Sheila Hawcutt were Hawcutts Transport … A partnership. My brother John Hawcutt was given a parnership in 1997 and our Dad had a stroke a few months later which stopped him from being able to manage it or make decisions any more … The land at the back was given to my brother John in April 2001 on the condition that he would 'keep ’ them in their old age. This didn’t happen. John sold all the partnership assets (possession being 9 /10’s of the law), pocketed every penny, an estimated 300k. Dad died penniless in 2003 after being estranged from john for over 18 months due to the upset. John sold the ground at the back for a reported 400k - Not one single penny came to his Mum. In 2008 a bailiff turned up at her door and told her she was bankrupt … at the age of 78! … John had ignored the VAT and this was the first she’d heard of it, she hadn’t spoken to him for over 7 years. Subsequently, her home of 40 years which she owned was repossessed by insolvency practitioners.

On a lighter note, we stepped in and bought her home back from the insolvency practitioner. All this bad feeling affected her badly to the extent she didn’t want to live here anymore, so we found her something smaller locally. She is no very happy again and never wants to see him ever again. I think my Dad is spinning in his grave. This fleet of trucks and memory belongs to Jack Hawcutt Senior 1931 - 2003 RIP

All of these photos in this thread that Joe has posted, were taken by Sheila Hawcutt in happier times and are scanned copys, almost certainly originating from Johns album. Our Mum is now a spritely 85 year old and she enjoyed seeing them on my ipad :slight_smile: … I’ll find the rest out and probably post them up …

what a sad story brettonflyer! glad your mum has pulled through with all that nonsence to cope with :slight_smile:

I remember Hawcutts well, they used to do the big fork lifts on low loaders.
And iirc they had an F12 too !
Shame to hear about the bad apple in the family.
Sometimes, some people need to realise that they wouldn’t have had that chance if it wasn’t for the old mans hard work.

Where was Hawcutts located, I was at Nuneaton for a couple of years in the mid 70’s at Bramcote Bks where they still ran the Lorry Driver of the Year Finals, I even entered the wheel changing competition and came third, although an old lad pulled me later and said I had actually won it but the two other top runners competed each year and took turns to win first prize, the presentation pic is below. I enjoyed those weekends while there and still remember the phone number of the Guardroom as Wolvey 641, lovely time when it was those searing Summers. Franky.

LDoY.jpg

I was in Wolvey a couple of weeks ago, had a couple of pints in the Blue Pig, and stayed at Ansty Hall just down the road. It would be interesting to know where the yard was, and check it out on my next visit.

Presume this was one of theirs transportphotos.com/road/photos

JLC00055-01.jpg

Stanfield:
Presume this was one of theirs transportphotos.com/road/photos

My Dad had the work out of AL Dunn in Nuneaton. They had a blue D1000 tipper to get rid of the sand from the ‘sand cast’ … My Dad bought it off them and carried on the job. My brother in law Bill Brown moved onto that job, loading with a little massy tractor. Then we had a MF50B loading. Then he bought the nicest little Dodge (pictured) to replace the D Series … Then came this little Volvo F7 … good truck, but sadly i think Dave Jones was on it, … it ended up in the ditch between Whitestone and Bramcote !!! Then came the 8 wheeler ERF which was badged as a 325 … (it wasn’t lol) … Stan the man drove that one … Everyone was kidded into believing that John was the main man … but he was a bit like that badge …

My Dad bought 2 of these … they came to us in jet black … this one made it through the paint shop (Dad sprayed most of them himself, in the garage, he was red hot with a spraygun) and the other didn’t and was affectionately known as ‘Back Bess’ … driven by Les Hayward … was with my Dad for years and years … This one was driven by John … on the back it had ‘Meaner than a junkyard dog’ … 8.2 Bedford engine … loads of trouble … hence the reason Dad went to ERF’s … good old motors :slight_smile: … The B Series at the side was Ex Alfred Herberts and had a Gardner 180 … It had my sisters name on the front ‘Pam’s Pride’ and was driven by Bill Brown my brother in law, before he went onto the sand job … then i had it … then John Jones (JJ) the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet, who sadly died of cancer sometime in the late 80’s/ 90’s

wondercat:
I was in Wolvey a couple of weeks ago, had a couple of pints in the Blue Pig, and stayed at Ansty Hall just down the road. It would be interesting to know where the yard was, and check it out on my next visit.

I’m still here lol … the kettle never goes cold … if you go to the shop in the village and ask where ■■■■ Hawcutt lives (Sticky’s) they’ll point you :slight_smile:

Main drag to the M69 … over the crossroads on the right (pull on the front of the bungalow)

stickys.co.uk

I am sorry I did not respond to your kind invitation earlier, I only spotted it on Friday! Next time I am down your way I will try and call in for a brew. Thanks again, Paul.

image.jpegready for export .

Punchy Dan:
0ready for export .

Everything gets old, and has to go at some point. What is interesting is that these were exported by John Hawcutt. His Mum Sheila, who bought them with our Dad Jack (Senior) was left bankrupt and penniless by him at this time, and he pocketed every last penny of all her assets while she suffered. If anyone comes across this man, John Hawcutt listen to his story, I’m sure it will be different, but eggs is eggs and his Dad & Mum were discarded and he stole their wealth from under them.

Good Evening All,
Sorry for bringing up an old thread… I just wanted to post a post having just joined up after googling “Hawcutt Transport Wolvey” this was the first page it found. My Grandad drove for Hawcutts for many years, David / Dave Whitehouse. Seeing all the pictures in this post has brought back so many memories from my childhood, growing up and being around these trucks when he used to take me to work with him, or out in the trucks, weather it be down to Bovington Camp in dorset when they were transporting tanks, or to the Ford plant in Dagenham, a lot of special memories I cherished after he passed away in 2006.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this post. I will dig out some pictures I have stored away and add them in hopefully over the weekend.

brettonflyer:

Punchy Dan:
0ready for export .

Everything gets old, and has to go at some point. What is interesting is that these were exported by John Hawcutt. His Mum Sheila, who bought them with our Dad Jack (Senior) was left bankrupt and penniless by him at this time, and he pocketed every last penny of all her assets while she suffered. If anyone comes across this man, John Hawcutt listen to his story, I’m sure it will be different, but eggs is eggs and his Dad & Mum were discarded and he stole their wealth from under them.

Very sorry to have read this horrible situation.

Some images we found when hawcutts featured in Truck and Driver magazine

Health and safety? Lol my grandad is stood on the pallet

Does anyone know what happened to Hawcutts?

They had a smart mixed fleet in a bright red livery with yellow signwriting.

They ran at least one eight-wheel ERF tipper, ERF tractor units, a very smart A reg Bedford TM four wheeler rigid and a Cargo road sweeper amongst others.

I had heard that they had packed up in the mid 1990s but dont know for sure.

What do you know?

Cheers
Mark

Classic Commercial Show 12th June 1994

Classic Commercial Show June 1991

Classic Commercial Show June 1991

Classic Commercial Show 12th June 1994