Kaye Goodfellow Manchester

The driver Dicky Smith was a fantastic guy ,i worked as a mate when i left school in the early sixties and was his second man on several occasions he worked for a furniture removal company called Daces which was bought out by Davy Goodfellow for the A licences,all their drivers had never done general haulage let alone heavy haulage and there was several mishaps when they first joined Goodys.

If I remember rightly(I could be wrong) Goodfellow was the traffic manager or something to do with Mckelvies of Paisley,at their depot in Cheetham Hill, Manchester,which was the old BRS depot.His Crane hire company and transport was in his wife’s name Kaye.

Tony Taylor:
If I remember rightly(I could be wrong) Goodfellow was the traffic manager or something to do with Mckelvies of Paisley,at their depot in Cheetham Hill, Manchester,which was the old BRS depot.His Crane hire company and transport was in his wife’s name Kaye.

That rings a bell - I woerked for many years with someone who’d worked in the office for McKelvie in those days, and I dimly recall him telling me that

David Goodfellow was the Transport Manager and Director for McKelvies at their Cheetham Hill Manchester Depot.
He originally started with some mobile cranes which McKelvie allowed him to base at their depot.
However much to McKelvies consternation he gave in his notice and started to run general haulage and then heavy haulage
vehicles,and as he had many contacts in the area,this was to the detriment of McKelvies Manchester operation.I think David
Goodfellow put his company in the name of his wife Kaye to get round any legal proceedings which McKelvie might of pursued,
following his resignation and the creation of a rival company to their Manchester operation.
McKelvies yard at Cheetham Hill was next door to the yard of B.R.S.not an old yard of B.R.S.

Any of you lads remember a mechanic at Goodfellows during the late 60s early 70s called John Fairhurst.

GBW McElvies yard was in North St. Cheetham which was later taken over by no less than by Smiths of Eccles the pub next door was called the Mile House.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
GBW McElvies yard was in North St. Cheetham which was later taken over by no less than by Smiths of Eccles the pub next door was called the Mile House.

Thats right geoff,in the late 60s i used to go 10 pin bowling on cheetham hill rd about 200yds up from north st,used to watch the trunkers setting off.
regards dave.

You know what boys I could be wrong about Smiths of Eccles it could actually have been Smiths of Maddiston memory is failing regards Crow.

Hello Geoff, I seem to remember that it was Smiths of Maddiston who had a depot on or near North Street, was that area called Red Bank where the G.P.O. depot was :confused: . I bet that if Daf Dave wasn’t playing ten pin bowling in the sixties on Cheetham Hill Road then he was at the Silver Blades ice skating rink next to the Express Dairies depot which was not too far from North Street :wink: .

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
Hello Geoff, I seem to remember that it was Smiths of Maddiston who had a depot on or near North Street, was that area called Red Bank where the G.P.O. depot was :confused: . I bet that if Daf Dave wasn’t playing ten pin bowling in the sixties on Cheetham Hill Road then he was at the Silver Blades ice skating rink next to the Express Dairies depot which was not too far from North Street :wink: .

Regards Steve.

You would have been right steve,that is if i had ever been able to ice skate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards dave.

Hello Steve it is indeed Red bank there was an Odeon cinema on the corner which later probably turned into the skittle alley. my Uncle Alf lived further down North St. in Honey St. on the left just before the steep hill which went under the railway bridge and then joined Dantzic St.No real news on Corrie he s still with us and went for a pint last saturday with Jack Richardson, don t forget he s 74 now so he s doing reasonably ok ,regards Crow.

Hi Mr Crow, Ken Singleton who was a great mate of Ken’s did a stint at B.R.S. North Street, Cheetham Hill in the seventies along with another two of Ken’s old mates Dave Shawcross and Lee Marland R.I.P.
As you mentioned Danzic Street, my Dad worked at the Premier Mill on Dantzic Street before the start of the war until he died while at work in 1968. The company wouldn’t give my Mum his company pension which was over twenty five accumulated service years because of his unbroken service due to the war. {z.b} tight {z.b.}
Not wishing to drift too far of the Kaye Goodfellows thread, I did post a story on Trucknet many years ago about Stan Warmbold towing trolley buses over Shap to Glasgow in the early sixties. I did show it to Ken Corrigan the last time I saw him in 2008 and he said that he can’t ever remember Stan telling him about it but he did remember seeing Kaye Goodfellows towing trolley buses from Manchester to Glasgow.
I wonder if Bewick can remember seeing Kaye Goodfellows towing trolley buses over Shap when he was a lad.

Give Ken my best regards Geoff and ask him has that Polish lady doctor done the trick, I hope so :wink: .
Regards Steve.

Steve I know for a fact that McElvies definitely hung a trolley bus behind their 8 wheeler night trunk to Glasgow and it wasnt empty either they stuffed em with what today we call groupage. That uncle of mine who lived in honey st. had 2 sons John and David they split withn the old man and did sub contract work for McElvies and later Good fellows , they were Pattison Bros.

Well there ya go Geoff, you have just answered a question that I have been wondering about since the first time my brother and myself met Stan in the Saint Valentine Hotel in Austria over thirty two years ago :smiley: .
As you have just told us that the trolley bus was loaded with groupage, Stan told us that he had to load the top and the bottom decks with parcels which he would deliver to Highland Haulage in Glasgow, so he wasn’t pulling our legs after all :slight_smile: .
If that story is still in the Trucknet archeives then I shall try and find it and stick it on here if you are interested.
I think that Kaye Goodfellows also had a depot next to Chadderton Power Station at one time unless they were just doing some work around there in the seventies.

Hi Geoff,
McKelvies depot at North St. Cheetham Hill was taken over by Smiths of Maddiston,not Smiths of Eccles,when McKelvie moved to St.Helens.

McKelvies were the first to tow the Glasgow Corporation trolley Buses.They used a Foden 8 wheeler for this purpose.
Reg number LHS 208.
Not only did it tow the trolley bus but the platform was also fully loaded + as people quite rightly say,the trolley bus was also loaded with parcels etc.which were kept below the window line,so as not to draw attention to this fact by the ministry.
My Dad was on night trunk for McKelvie at this time,and he tells me that they had to get ahead of the Foden before they reached Shap or face a long hold up as it climbed over Shap Fell.LHS 208 was a plodder even when empty.
My Dad also trunked for a time LHS 208 but not towing a trolley bus as well.
His comments about LHS 208 are that Glasgow Corporation should of errected a tribute to this vehicle as you enter Glasgow
for all the buses it towed to Scotland.
I was not aware that Goodfellows got involved in this work,but as David Goodfellow was previously Transport Manager for
McKelvie at Manchester,need I say any more.
Regards,
GBW.

GBW not only have you managed to spell Mcs name correctly you ve also remembered the reg no.s HS is was Paisley, if i m right Frood St.if i m right and i m desperately thinking of their depot in Newton Heath which was taken over by Goodfellows when they Macs moved to North St. Cheetham Not to worry some one probably Carryfast will search the web and tell us ,regards Crow.

In 1964 I used to back load from Manchester Off K/G, they had some traffic out of Procter & Gambles in Trafford Park, I worked for Smiles For Miles driving an8 wheeler Mk 5 AEC, They were allways good for return traffic in the 60s, no messing about, for instance no ring me in 30 mins like a lot of the clearance houses used to say, they told you there & then if they had something for you, Happy long gone days, Regards Larry.

Foden only built 17 of these twin-steer ‘Chinese Six’ tractor units in the early 1970s. Kaye Goodfellow based in Manchester operated three of the DAXB 8/38 model vehicles. They was powered by a big, straight eight, Gardner 8LXB-240 engines, coupled to Foden 12-speed gearboxes. The tractor unit is fitted with Foden’s glass fibre S70 cab that was not a success, to put it mildly. The picture reveals one of the trio parked at the company’s Manchester depot with a load of structural steel building sections. The picture was taken by the late Roger Kenney. Copyright Roundoak archive.

Great stuff, keep them coming if you can, I m sure they will be well veiwed to say the least be a lot of old time drivers from the 50s onwards, Regards Larry.