united carriers

cockney rebel:
Hi Diesel I did most of the trunks mostly Alton,Bristol,Braintree, I remember running with I think his name was
Ray Sharp (half sharp) loved to get the trailer wheels of the ground I remember your name and probably a lot
more if memory was jogged .

Cockney Rebel (Ken Rees)

Hi Ken,

Just found this thread, I work with a guy who worked for Carriers for years out of Braintree, until they closed.
His Name is Mike Newman & he now works for UK Mail (formerly Business Post)
He does a long trunk (12 hr shift) Mon - Thurs, and I usually do the Friday, so I only see him when I cover someone elses (holiday or sickness) during the week

I’ll have to tell him about this site

toddy2

hi , i worked on the loading bank at united carriers , scudamore road leicester depot , 24 years ago . a driver was telling me that united carriers only had one commer tractor unit in the entire united fleet . is this correct ? if so which depot was it at ? and are there any photographs of the truck :question:

carryfast-yeti:
hello lads :slight_smile: a bloke from my village drove for UC for years at Braunstone,Leicester depot,until it closed.i’ll ask him if he has any photo’s.one of their drivers drove for years with a 'mushrooms are magic’sun-visor sticker in the window of his ERF artic :laughing:

hi , i think the driver to which you refer , was called dave , but everyone called him by his nickname BIG HOSS :exclamation: yes i remember him and remember the ERF unit he drove . apologies if i’ve put this in the wrong place , as i only joined up yesterday :smiley:

cockney rebel:
bloody hell you have got a good memory i did my CPC with Barry Thomas my first mixer came from Corby plant
and i worked out of billing when the other Corby truck came available I told Barry and he took it on
I bought a couple more mixers and worked on Oak Hill Prison Milton Keynes then Shrewsbury Bypass and A1 M1
link road didn’t see that finished as I sold up and moved to Spain in 1993

Cockney Rebel

met barry thomas the other day,did 7 hours of driver cpc with his training firm,they are based in freightroutes yard at i,boro

midlandsaint776:
hi , i worked on the loading bank at united carriers , scudamore road leicester depot , 24 years ago . a driver was telling me that united carriers only had one commer tractor unit in the entire united fleet . is this correct ? if so which depot was it at ? and are there any photographs of the truck :question:

hi
united carriers had three commer tractor units when i started work there in 63,they were in frank willis livery, later on there were two maxiload units around 65, one was at wellingborough dept , the other was based at doncaster, that one was written off in a smash with a coach on the a1 near grantham , sorry no photos, but plenty of memories of working on them :smiley:

diesel dan:

midlandsaint776:

hi
united carriers had three commer tractor units when i started work there in 63,they were in frank willis livery, later on there were two maxiload units around 65, one was at wellingborough dept , the other was based at doncaster, that one was written off in a smash with a coach on the a1 near grantham , sorry no photos, but plenty of memories of working on them :smiley:

Look what i just found !!

img870%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy%20(2)[1].jpg

diesel dan:

midlandsaint776:

hi

I also remember the 3 Commers in Frank Willis livery,the memory aint so good now but I think they were VRP,WBD and WRP…my old fella was a day driver for UCL at Bristol in the 60s and would get one of these Commers on a regular basis.I too remember one getting written off and AEC Mercury 661BBD came in its place.When the Pucklechurch depot was built I recall a Commer artic with the Maxiload cab and that was DNV226C…That was the only Commer artic I saw,but there were a few rigids though.
As far as I remember the trunking fleet that came to Bristol was a Guy Invincible minus its sun visor which made it look odd and an Ergo AEC Mandator KRP???E showed up occasionally,all useless info I’m afraid :unamused:
Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:

diesel dan:

midlandsaint776:

hi

I also remember the 3 Commers in Frank Willis livery,the memory aint so good now but I think they were VRP,WBD and WRP…my old fella was a day driver for UCL at Bristol in the 60s and would get one of these Commers on a regular basis.I too remember one getting written off and AEC Mercury 661BBD came in its place.When the Pucklechurch depot was built I recall a Commer artic with the Maxiload cab and that was DNV226C…That was the only Commer artic I saw,but there were a few rigids though.
As far as I remember the trunking fleet that came to Bristol was a Guy Invincible minus its sun visor which made it look odd and an Ergo AEC Mandator KRP???E showed up occasionally,all useless info I’m afraid :unamused:
Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

hi bubbs
blimey you have jogged my memory there :laughing: that maxiload from bristol dept was rolled over twice as i know of, once just off tower bridge in london , and the other time near brackley the driver was known as dougle as he had long blond hair and he looked like dougle the dog :laughing: there were two guys in the fleet , the one that bristol had ,had a 150 gardner in it , i also had to recover that from witney when driver "uzzel"as that was his name rolled that one, the other one had a 180 ■■■■■■■■ that was also rolled over at croughton , the yanks from the air base recovered that as it was blocking the main a43 in the process they twisted the chassis ,so that was the end of that, i also recoved a mercury which was smashed to bits from febbreys transport yard at chipping sodbry ,i think the driver was killed in that smash, i was working on night shift in the garage during the sixties/early seventies and we did all the recovery work that was needed at night, as you can see bristol dept kept us in a job lol cheers diesel

Nah, turn it in Mick. :wink:

Earlier in the thread you forgot Charley Harley and John Lucas and the other herberts from Welly.

Juddian:
Nah, turn it in Mick. :wink:

Earlier in the thread you forgot Charley Harley and John Lucas and the other herberts from Welly.

hi juddian,
leave it aaart, i forgot brian lewis as well, :open_mouth: :laughing: wonder what happened to him :smiley: :smiley: cheers diesel

Hi there, i remember a couple of guys from uc,(durham) I was night trunk for wilkinson transport later to be lex wilkinson. The ones i remember are Davey Lightwood and my pal Trevor Bullock. A few of you may remember trevor being run over in the yard and got his legs badly damaged. Last i heard trevor is up and about and working again, though doing what i dont know, we seem to have lost contact some years ago cheers
Bill.

It was before my time with UCL but Willmot Motors who they originally acquired in Howden had some Commer units I am sure.

Later on though I drove a Dodge which was in Arrowfasts blue and white colours. I loved that lorry, 16 tonner which could catch pigeons.

Spotted this many moons ago on the Team Valley, Gateshead:

mr lonk shelton in wellingborough garage where i was “trained” by him,

brucethegooner:
mr lonk shelton in wellingborough garage where i was “trained” by him,

hi bruce,blimey thats a blast from the past,thats my old pride and joy,looks like that pict was taken while the front end was being repaired after i had crashed into the motorway barriers :frowning: i havent seen lonk for at least 20 years, what happened to him.happy days eh.
cheers diesel

bumped into him the other day in shopping center,had quick chat,dont think the overalls would fit now :smiley: bacon sandwiches have made their mark :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
It was before my time with UCL but Willmott Motors who they originally acquired in Howden had some Commer units I am sure.

Later on though I drove a Dodge which was in Arrowfasts blue and white colours. I loved that lorry, 16 tonner which could catch pigeons.

As I mentioned Willmott Motors, here are a couple of their lorries, a brand new Bedford TK parked at the dealers and an Albion on a photoshoot.

Williemac are you there? Courtesy of Mr J E McLeod and Johnny Rose.

Just a couple more from UCL and a Gem from JEM

And even more.

Any of you United drivers remember a Scammell Handyman PVM.508.J. it was new to U/Cs, Then it was involed in a RTA, Recabed in 71 & was purchased by F.Short & Sons Ltd Felling, I drove from then on a good motor I my book. Regards Larry.