Sussex compaines

this is an old thread but looking through I came across the jj adam comments, worked for them myself but for the company they bought in Huddersfield, which coincidently was the cause of their demise, along with a couple of other instances (theft of vehicles, serious RTA’s)

what happened to jules? I recall being in polegate on one occasion and a particular vocal driver saying to him “who are you, you little fat fker" to which jules replied "i’m the little fat fker who pays your wages and talk to me like that again and i’ll sack you on the spot” strange how certain instances stay in ones mind!

the job was ok, money was never great and there was a fair amount of hand-ball but I think it was when the industry was changing, a lot of similar companies were disappearing at that time but I often have the thought of the work is still there to a certain extent so who’s doing it now!

I recall there were two sons who worked for the company, chris who I believe is still in road transport, who whilst not the most understanding of chaps was at least consistent and then there was gary, who in my opinion was a little sh*t.

I remember the two fitters who worked up at hellingly and the old recovery truck one of them kept, although I cant recall the manufacturer, anyhow, nostalgia being what it is I thought i’d add my little bit.

JAMIE10:

here is some old sussex hauliers no longer with us JJ Adam Barlow and co Radcliffes

Hey jamie10, thats me at the helm of my Radcliffe M.A.N for Truck magazine! Along the A22 Hailsham by-pass!!

Regards,

Mark.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Found these photos on e-bay this week, featuring Jempsons of Rye AEC’s from the 1970’s

EcoClear (Newhaven) delivering to Gibraltar

Anglo Dutch Meats (Eastbourne) loading in France

Dor to Dor (Lewes)

A few of the lorries I’ve driven (Newhaven area)

A new looking Aec Mandator of John Jempson and Son of Rye

lawrence2765:
A new looking Aec Mandator of John Jempson and Son of Rye

Probably because it’s had at least a new front panel. the Leyland ‘turbine blades’ badge was introduced in 1970, replacing the traditional AEC badge. I susect this picture was taken after 1970, with the wagon having had a bit of refurbishment along the way.

Another one of John Jempson and Son of Rye.
A late registered Aec Mandator carrying a load of hops.

HERE IS A COUPLE TO START WITH TOMSETTS TRANSPORT

THE OTHERS DEVON AND ■■■■■■■ HAVE GONE SO WELL I THOUGHT I WOULD START ONE FROM MY COUNTY