Cornish Companies

hello anyone got any photos of denis oates volvo f88s from the 1970s

bubbleman:
Here you are Willie,some of Dennis Oates. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Lansonmoe, you may have missed this one so I bumped it up the line for you.

bazztrucker:
Hi all;does anyone on here remember jasper, he usedto drive for chris miners in the seventies. tosay he was a larger than life character, was a understatement!!! spent many anight out with him in the greyhound inn, near millbay docks plymouth!

Hi all first time on this thread. I was lookin thru and i remember jasper. I was an interloper in 1973 as i hail from southampton and had an aquaintance with Richard Benney and it was thru him i took my HGV licence. Jasper used to do a bit for ■■■■ Benney at the time. The training vehicles we used were based in a shared yard WH Grose and NJ Grose it was there i spent two weeks training and going to Redruth to take my test which i passed and was promptley dispatched up the road with 20 tons of milk powder ex MMB at Cambourne. I stayed for a year driving for ■■■■ Benney eventually buying a albion 16 ton rigid from him MYD809E. I also remember Christopher Miners in those days he had only one truck a volvo F86 which was an 8 wheeler if my memory is correct.I enjoyed my time in Cornwall but returned home and grew my own fleet of trucks doing continental work we grew to 33 artics all frigo’s but now the company runs 15 trucks and this is run by my two sons. We are on Trucknet Davies International thread. Before i go last year i called into see Richard first time we had met in 39 years and he aint changed a bit’ I remember him well with the lockins in variouse pubs we used to enjoy.It’s nice lookin back but how thing’s have changed regards to all John Davies alias Buzzer.

Iam new to this forum and iam looking for any pictures of sid knowles transport. my
grandfather worked for them for 30 + years and havent got many photographic memories
of this company. I would love to see them again.

robert and richard benney have a really smart selection of wagons
always have done. I think jasper lives in ireland now.

ghinzani:
Keep em coming?

That lot from Sticklepath with the bull nosed Mercs in the 70s?

The ■■■■■■■■■ fella with the Transconti that went like shhh off a shovel? Was Vic Rogers a good lad

WH Grose? (Nicks Brother I think?)… great name

I dont think there are any truck companys left in cornwall at least not any with a new fangled computer setup so thats why no one from down there posts on this thread,shame really as when i took my HGV test in Redruth in 1973 there were loads of companys working out of therewhere have they all gone ? cheers Buzzer.
PS.Highgearhaulier do you come from down there ?

Buzzer:
I dont think there are any truck companys left in cornwall at least not any with a new fangled computer setup so thats why no one from down there posts on this thread,shame really as when i took my HGV test in Redruth in 1973 there were loads of companys working out of therewhere have they all gone ? cheers Buzzer.
PS.Highgearhaulier do you come from down there ?

Any of you guys got any pics of R.G.Morcom’s AEC Mustangs from Fraddon? or of Larry Jago’s F88 when he drove for Western Express?

two from nigel gill

Anybody have any pics of the Mid Cornwall Transport lorries?

Talk about ancient history.

I was back there in July for Blakeys funeral and saw an awful lot of the legends from before. John Old, Brian Hayne, Wearney… (Hasn’t changed in appearance or manner) to name just a few.

It was like a drivers convention and was, strangely, a sad but amazing day. John Andrew provided the vehicle and the convoy of trucks caused a suitable amount of chaos outside Davidstow.

Time marches on.

RIP, Andrew.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Found this post and the man in Question on the Roscof to plymouth ferry on Wed night.

Mushrooman asked

Does anybody know of an owner driver from Cornwall called Dave Clark who used to run down to the Middle East in the eighties. I.I.R.C. Dave had a French motor a Berliet or a Saviem and then he had a Fiat, he always had the Cornish Flag on the back of the cab.
mushroomman

His name is Dave Clark and he was pulling a Mesguen trailer with a white merk,

Klunk

Dave Clarke came from Bodmin. After doing Middle-East he did the Morocco run. I ran with him on many occasions doing North Africa - a great bloke to run with. I even did a trip down to Fez for him when he was in hospital. Pictured below is Dave Clarke cooking up ‘camion stew’ in Tangiers, and a pic of his 500 bhp Merc during the trip I did for him. Cheers, Robert

After reading “The Best of Truck - Long Distance Dairies”, and the Sid Knowles trip, I have be wondering how long it took to go from say Redruth to Exeter using the A30 back in the early 70’s before the towns were by-passed. Must have been slow going in something with only 180-200 bhp to call on.

john57:
After reading “The Best of Truck - Long Distance Dairies”, and the Sid Knowles trip, I have be wondering how long it took to go from say Redruth to Exeter using the A30 back in the early 70’s before the towns were by-passed. Must have been slow going in something with only 180-200 bhp to call on.

Really depends on how many Emmets were on the road! Sometimes took a couple hours to get from the border past Okehampton on really bad days.

Having past my HGV test in Redruth and then working for Richard Benney who helped put me through the test via the RTITB I can tell you with a GUY Big J 180 Gardener it took the best part of three hours to hit Exeter fully freighted with a quick stop at the “Whitehouse café” and that was in the winter months with no grockels on the road. Coming from Southampton as I did the Cornish were fine to work with but if you were not born there you aint Cornish end off. Later I drove an Albion super Clydesdale 4 wheeler and my start to the week was a full load of milk powder bound for the Ski yogurt factory in Norwich, load Friday afternoon and leave early Saturday morning 4am for Southampton, one day in the summer I was an hour late starting and instead of being home at 9 30 I did not get there till 1 pm but no bypasses back then, went down there in 2011 and its non stop duel carriageway today what an eye opener.
Remember all those Richard and Osbourne ERF’s in there yard warming up there Gardener engines in the morning, looked like a factory fire from a distance such was the smoke cloud, cheers Buzzer.

john57:

…Long distance “dairies”…!!!..love it

David

Here is the A30 in the times asked about. This is looking down Kensey Hill at Launceston, on a summer day, as the holidaymakers crawl westwards. Also caught up is what seems to be one of the Sid Knowles Bedfords. Can anyone confirm? Could be a Scania 110.
Very few photos seem to exist of lorries on the road in those days. Most were taken in yards or similar. This one is by Colin Barrett, who decided to record the local scene in the last summer before the Launceston bypass opened.

Thinking its about 2 hours on a clear run now, so was guessing it would have been nearly double back then, must have been working that Guy hard Buzzer, lol, some of the the hills over the moors must must have slowed you right down. Can remember the jams in Bodmin, and when it was by-passed, you still queued at the western end. Great picture of a summer Saturday at Launceston I reckon you could easily lose a hour there, and Okehampton and Bodmin, happy days.
If there are any spelling mistakes or poor “grammer” in this post please don’t feel the need to correct me David, or should I call you Sir ■■?

I think that was one of Syd Knowles Bedfords. Was he not a Methodist Lay Preacher?

Cheerio for now.

I remember back in the sixties travelling down to Cornwall in an Austin A40 that dad hired (raining as usual!) and crawling up that hill out of Launceston, there was a loaded truck a few cars in front and he had to stop suddenly when a car overtook him and then had no room to pull in against oncoming traffic. Starting off again his propshaft sheared off, we managed to just creep past but I bet that caused some chaos!

Pete.