Cumbria companies

John West:

Bewick:

John West:
I think it would be Furness and South ■■■■■■■■■■ Supply Association. They did have a fairly big depot at Lindal (between Ulverston and Barrow) although that is now closed. They are still going.

furnesssupply.co.uk/

John.

Well now then JW as I’m not a native of the Peninsula a.k.a. “The longest cul-de-sac in the UK” I was only able to relate the minimal info I could recall ! The closest I ever came to one of their motors was a KM Bedford John McGuffie bought from them and he ran out of derv in the MOT test centre gates at Milnthorpe. My Manager gave him 5 gal of derv which he promised faithfully he would return to us ! :unamused: He never did there by making an enemy for life of our Manager ! I wasn’t about that day otherwise I would have said £5 cash or call Hudson Engineers out John ! I could tell you about another “stroke” Mr. McGoo pulled with a tipper trailer he sold me but you shouldn’t speak i’ll of the dead ! Cheers Dennis.

You were close Dennis…

Mr McGuffie. Since he’s departed anything you say can’t hurt him!

We’ve mentioned before about you meeting him at Malcolm Woodhouse’s just after he returned from Turkey having dumped his motor, casually ruining a chum of mine who had guaranteed his motor and the load (who also incidentally wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I’ve always dealt with people as I find them, not what others say about them - Bill Keith being another example). I could never abide motor dumpers. If you did it once you would do it again. We had a few in Saudi who came out, found it hard going and flew home. After a few months they’d be on the phone begging for the job back. Sorry, one chance. I always said when anyone was ranting about the place ‘you have bad days at home.’

So, I’d be interested to hear about that tipper trailer…

John.

Ah! the tipping trailer incident ! Well after I bought his flat operation ( The two youngest trailers were 18 months old and hadn’t been tested!)
anyway later on I bought one of his two tipper trailers from him and he went to great lengths( crossed his heart etc.) to tell me he was keeping the one with the “dodgy” tipping engine ! But what he failed to tell me was that he had also swapped the Plates so I got the one with the supposed ten ton axles/8 inch brakes when it was, in fact, the one with the lighter 9 ton axles and 7 inch brakes. I sold it on at a later date to Malc Woodhouse ( Who had sold the trailer to J Mc new) You should have heard the uproar from MW, not blaming me of course as the innocent party but he would have strangled Mr Mc Goo if he could have got his hands on him as he knew exactly what he had done ! ! Long time ago but the honest truth ! Cheers Dennis.