Heal's Transport, Zeals, Wilts

Know this is an old thread but thought i would add some info in quoted from my father as he cant use a computer the company was owned by John and Bently Heal until they sold out to Rose’s, they lived in houses either side of the entrance to the yard going in from the green in Zeals. The drivers that i can remeber are Steve and his father Doug Gale, Phil and his father Cecil langford, John Pigeon and Ian Scott, the Mechanic was Dave Bradley they had one AEC bulk lorry and the rest were Leylands they also had a few Transits. Their main work was agricultural haulage and also gatteux’s from a firm in Taunton which i believe was called Woods. When I was there i drove a Leyland six wheeled flatbed doing nearly all farm deliveries vehicle reg pbk 440s and i believe tiverton poultry bought it 6 weeks after. Their lorries were a pale green with Heal Brothers Hauliers written on there. The places i mainly hauled from were BOCM from blandford, pilwood feeds at west wellow, Scats at micheldever, delghettis at Poole and nitrovit at Kings Stag. I worked hard but thoroughly enjoyed my time there and may have a photograph somewere of the lorry that i drove.

Interesting…

That’s about my era on the bulkers but I am struggling to remember Heals, even though they were fairly close to us. I would love to see a photo, if you can find one… :smiley:

boyesadabest:
Know this is an old thread but thought i would add some info in quoted from my father as he cant use a computer the company was owned by John and Bently Heal until they sold out to Rose’s, they lived in houses either side of the entrance to the yard going in from the green in Zeals. The drivers that i can remeber are Steve and his father Doug Gale, Phil and his father Cecil langford, John Pigeon and Ian Scott, the Mechanic was Dave Bradley they had one AEC bulk lorry and the rest were Leylands they also had a few Transits. Their main work was agricultural haulage and also gatteux’s from a firm in Taunton which i believe was called Woods. When I was there i drove a Leyland six wheeled flatbed doing nearly all farm deliveries vehicle reg pbk 440s and i believe tiverton poultry bought it 6 weeks after. Their lorries were a pale green with Heal Brothers Hauliers written on there. The places i mainly hauled from were BOCM from blandford, pilwood feeds at west wellow, Scats at micheldever, delghettis at Poole and nitrovit at Kings Stag. I worked hard but thoroughly enjoyed my time there and may have a photograph somewere of the lorry that i drove.

Thank you very much for that. It was Bentley Heal that I met - he was a young Wireless Operator/Air Gunner on his first tour of duty on a Sunderland flying boat in 1944/5, and flew with my father for that tour in West Africa until their Squadron was disbanded after VE Day.

I see the names phil and Cecil Langford are mentioned,does anybody know them?

Sorry for the very late reply. Last I heard Cecil was in Ireland, Phil lived in Penselwood, and worked at the hunters lodge pub.

boyesadabest:
Sorry for the very late reply. Last I heard Cecil was in Ireland, Phil lived in Penselwood, and worked at the hunters lodge pub.

Do you know anything of Bentley (“Benny”) Heal, at all?

Bentley lives in Gillingham, John Heal unfortunately died a few months ago.

boyesadabest:
Bentley lives in Gillingham, John Heal unfortunately died a few months ago.

Thank you - I’d like to get back in touch with Benny. I met him only once, but he flew on my dad’s crew on Sunderland flying boats in 1944/5.

As that was my connection, I’d never met John

Heal’s operated between about 1933 and 1987, latterly on bulk grain work.

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any pics at all, or even remember them? I think they ran about a dozen motors.

240 Gardner:

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any pics at all, or even remember them? I think they ran about a dozen motors.

As soon as I saw the name Heals Transport of Zeal I knew it 240, the old heads a bit misty some days but I’m working on it :slight_smile: can’t even think of what they ran, I’m sure someone on here will also remember them.

altitude:

240 Gardner:

As soon as I saw the name Heals Transport of Zeal I knew it 240, the old heads a bit misty some days but I’m working on it :slight_smile: can’t even think of what they ran, I’m sure someone on here will also remember them.

That was quick! I saw some pics at weekend, nearly all Leylands - Clydesdales, Freighters, Constructors and, I think, some Ergo AECs as well. Blue motors, I think.

240 Gardner:

altitude:

240 Gardner:

That was quick! I saw some pics at weekend, nearly all Leylands - Clydesdales, Freighters, Constructors and, I think, some Ergo AECs as well. Blue motors, I think.

Hmmm your right there mate with the motors they ran thinking about it, but I still can’t get a picture in of them in the old head ( maybe it’s the wine!!! ) I think they ran quite a few, there’s lots of members on here from the right area someone’s got to come up with a pic of one of them. It gets you dont it when you know about a firm but just can’t remember.

Hi 240 & All

Heals ran mainly Leylands
They had a 10 or 11 ton 4 wheeler driven by Colin on hire to SCATS most days on animal feed & fertilizer deliveries.
At the weekend it had another driver & a fridge body was droped on & it delivered cream to London Im sure it was a Yreg Terrier the last with a sticker across the front instead of the plastic letters.

PS
Heals of Zeals were mainly light green I think they were taken over or sold out to Roses & they are blue.

tribsa:
Hi 240 & All

Heals ran mainly Leylands
They had a 10 or 11 ton 4 wheeler driven by Colin on hire to SCATS most days on animal feed & fertilizer deliveries.
At the weekend it had another driver & a fridge body was droped on & it delivered cream to London Im sure it was a Yreg Terrier the last with a sticker across the front instead of the plastic letters.

hello Richard

Yes, I saw a few photos of Leylands last weekend. The brothers Heal sold the business when they retired, and the land was sold for building. I was privileged to meet Mr Heal last weekend for the first time - he had been a crew member on a Sunderland flying boat in 1944/5, and was in the same crew as my Dad. 64 years on, we were able to exchange some photos and I heard a few new tales!