Garrett International (MFG)

jonesrob1122:
any drivers here remember romac transport sandwich,

or any of these names

mick king
bob king
nicki clarke
would like to no

Mickey King died, had a heart attack at the wheel, in Germany I think, back in the late 1980s.

There’s a Romac thread here, with pics… viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29270

Lonewolf Yorks:
Anyone remember us?

Based in a poxy little yard at Petham outside Canterbury that we had to reverse into from the road outside which was not a main road and was not lit but was quite a fast road :open_mouth:

At least one car went under a trailer one night.

We had a couple of Leyland DAFs, a couple of Powerliners and assorted others that escape my memory.

Drivers that I remember were called Frank (a Scot), Dave, Mark, Andre (French) and of course the gaffer, Conrad Garrett who could forget him. I never knew the old man.

Hi.
Yeah I remember them. I worked for them in the mid nineties. Andre was still there (there was a story, possibly apocryphal, that he was an ex pimp from Lyon who had to leave France in a hurry). I shipped out with him one Boxing Day on the Plymouth-Santander route, boy could he drink.
I was headed for Porto. When I got to the tip I discovered they were closed for the holidays and ended up spending New Years Day sitting on the beach waiting for them to re-open.
There was a lad called Steve Chatfield, ex merchant navy, came to Garretts after Romac went down the tubes, when not working for Conrad he worked the door at a couple of nightclubs around Planit Fanit.
I remember another lad, can’t recall his name, we used to call him layby coz every time we saw him he was parked up asleep in a layby somewhere.
We spent most of our time running Spain and usually only saw each other going in opposite directions on French autoroutes.
I remember the Mercs in your photos and the Volvo, he had a crash box Iveco too. They went just after I started and he got some brand new Ivecos.
I quit in 97 just before they went bang.
Garrett’s yard was next door to the Chequers Inn.
The road was actually Stone Street. The main road to Hythe from Canterbury (an old Roman road).
There were a couple of lay-bys between Petham and Canterbury we used to use to park trailers on when the yard was too full (it didn’t take much to fill the yard, four trailers and it was rammed) until we discovered the local travellers had nicked the aluminium side gates all down one side of a trailer.
The transport manager was a woman. Can’t recall her name but we all used to call her Mum to wind her up. She took it all in good humour tho.
Did you know Conrad went to school at The Kings School, the cathedral school in Canterbury, and sang in the Cathedral Choir as a boy.

Anyone remember us?

Based in a poxy little yard at Petham outside Canterbury that we had to reverse into from the road outside which was not a main road and was not lit but was quite a fast road :open_mouth:

At least one car went under a trailer one night.

We had a couple of Leyland DAFs, a couple of Powerliners and assorted others that escape my memory.

Drivers that I remember were called Frank (a Scot), Dave, Mark, Andre (French) and of course the gaffer, Conrad Garrett who could forget him. I never knew the old man.

Yeah I remember them, didn’t it morph into Conrad or something like that? IIRC they ran white Euroliners with pop on roofs, I’m sure a firm I was on (possibly PJL out of Thurrock) had a few of them, I seem to remember that they had the name signwritten on the roof of the trailer?

I dunno about that, I escaped back up North in 1992 and it was still Garrett then.

Did Garret not morph into European from Dover. I know Conrad was in the office there. He’s now in the office of SMS at Canterbury as operations manager.

I may be wrong, bit I thought European was started by Michael White, after he sold WhiteTrux to Seafield.

Actually since the last posts on here one of my MFG models was recognised by a bloke at Gaydon and we got chatting and it would seem that Garrett Intl went adrift, and he went to work for Mickey White who was of course not starting other transport companies when he’d just sold the last one, merely helping others to do so.

michael white sold white trux to seafield then started european then sold that and conrad garrett was there at european after he closed down MFG (Garrett International)
He’s now at SMS at Hythe

BuckleJ:
michael white sold white trux to seafield then started european then sold that and conrad garrett was there at european after he closed down MFG (Garrett International)
He’s now at SMS at Hythe

Mr Garrett is now at ONLINE/MBT Dover
The kiss of death
p.s TDL 102 GOOD EVENING Andy

any drivers here remember romac transport sandwich,

or any of these names

mick king
bob king
nicki clarke
would like to no