Devon companies

i drove this for a while,if anyone remembers steve langdon before he went really big,he only had 3 trucks when i worked there

n1538342998_256161_1146659.jpg

That’s never Roscoe is it?

bobthedog:
That’s never Roscoe is it?

no he was driving a ■■■■ tanker when i worked for steve,last i heard he was still working for steve in the office or something

I remembered he was office boy after I posted. So did you drive that MAN before or after he did? I remember the mad dashes in and out of IFS back when we turned in between the buildings onto the quayside.

bobthedog:
I remembered he was office boy after I posted. So did you drive that MAN before or after he did? I remember the mad dashes in and out of IFS back when we turned in between the buildings onto the quayside.

i drove it before him,he was driving mudgies slurry tanker, i went on with steve when bernie broke his arm and drove bernies truck till he was out of plaster then went on driving the man. the other truck they had was a white 112 scania a bloke called rob drove it.

Thanks for all the pictures folks, brought back some memories
JT Evans Jimmy does a bit of driving for Camel fish of rock delivering shellfish on the continent not sure what else, I see Ian at Penhill quarry pulling a Way tipper trailer, Greenaways have one Merc tractor left written up as Bude self storage , but it does not do a lot of work, I think all the fridges are gone as is the last ERF , John Greenaway is doing the container storage thing with his brother John now,

Has anyone got anymore WF miners pics
Happy days remembered on the ferries with the drivers and Steve and Fred occasionally,

Good to see the old Exonia trucks as well, I do not remember the name of guy I knew that used to drive em, but he lives in france now i think , and did a bit of work for Gerry Hillman i think when he was doing boat transport ,

Torbay freight services

Look at the link below

flickr.com/photos/hollinson/ … /lightbox/

This is my old Scania 112 (ex tractor stretched six leggier) when I worked for kit at Torbay freight services (1997-2003) it was the king of the road as it had no speed limiter fitted and it just went over 80mph with a load on the flat (I was told) happy days it was tagged Skippy and it turned a lot of heads, It is nice to have seen it again and that it has had so much interest.

If anyone knows the owner and if he/she is intrested I can forward a the photo.

that bluse Evans found it,s way overe the border to Camel fish i think , if not they had one very similar, the reg number is on Ians R620 now i think

john.d.m:
Sorry to go off thread here a bit,but Devon and all that, anyone know of Nick Whale aka " Rodders" (looked more like Rod Stewart than Rod Stewart did himself :laughing: ) he comes from Honiton area I think, not seen or heard of him for yrs and yrs.

Nick building eh last time i saw him we came off the Poole ferry together he was driving a Kenworth with a cattle trailer for Gilders but that was maybe 15 years ago or more

Denis F:

Davnic:
Hi that was my truck in the 1990s it was a joy to drive and turned a lot of heads

I have spent the afternoon looking through this thread.

Good to see some old names I remember and some I don’t.

If I remember correctly Luxton and Coombes went bust overnight, all the drivers lost the final week’s pay which was really bad for 1 bloke who had started that week. A couple of the fitters who worked there are now down in GH Newbury’s (Ex EB Janes Scrap Merchants) running a workshop there. I regularly see an ex L&C volvo fh on the M5 pulling a powder tanker for ?Jabez Cement?

Goodlands Builders merchants became Sharp and Fisher for a while before being bought by Travis Perkins.

LLoyd Maunder in Willand packed in doing meats a few years ago and only do chickens now (2 sisters?)

Does anyone remember a bloke, Jerry Slator, from near Kentisbeare who ran a fleet of tippers when they were building the north devon link road.

Jamie NZ when were you at Heathcote school?

bubbleman:
Hey,great pics…this thread is coming on nicely…I might ditch the scrapbook an concentrate on this one and the cornish one instead :wink:

I managed to get a Bowdens Merc too :laughing:

Jim Evans Pigsassole…didnt keep it very long :open_mouth:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Been rereading this thread and been wondering whats the story behind the Evans photo Bubbs, it been taken near a mile or 2 from their yard.

Mucker85.

I didn’t go to Heathcote School mate,I went to William Shapland school from 84 to 88 and then Tiverton school from 88 to 1991. I’m 37 now.

Are you from Tiverton?

I remember Brian Coombes selling up to a Cornish farmer and then I heard they went bust not that long after.

I had a mate who was a fitter for L&C who did his time with Devon Crest Poultry? At least I think that what they were called. I think he’s now working for M Way from South Molton.

EB Janes scrap metals,now there’s a name from a while back,I remember someone telling me that he was such a tight arse that he used to wear odd shoes!

I don’t recall Jerry Slater or his tippers,do you remember what truck they were mate?

I did my time as a fitter with a company called G R Pook Engineering,they were just up the road from L&C’s yard. We did a lot of work for ECC who ran Mercs and Volvo’s from Westleigh quarry.

Gary Pook bought these trucks and took on the drivers and started SMW Haulage in 1998. Is he still running tippers under that name?

Yes SMW is still going, Pooks is still doing well. They used to do cylinder head skimming for me when I was fixing cars for a hobby.

I don’t know what trucks Slator ran, I just know he used to run tippers out of Kentisbeare near Cullompton.

The family moved to tivvy in '89 when I was 4. I managed to escape for a few years but ended up buying a house back here.

Devon crest closed probably a decade ago, the site still sits empty next to the scrap yard. GH Newbury who bought out EB Janes is even tighter by many accounts I have heard of dealings with him.

paul hollinson:

Denis F:

Davnic:
Hi that was my truck in the 1990s it was a joy to drive and turned a lot of heads

Hi Paul.
That certainly was some motor.
You were always WELL loaded when you went past me and there was no catching you.

paul hollinson:
Torbay freight services

Look at the link below

flickr.com/photos/hollinson/ … /lightbox/

This is my old Scania 112 (ex tractor stretched six leggier) when I worked for kit at Torbay freight services (1997-2003) it was the king of the road as it had no speed limiter fitted and it just went over 80mph with a load on the flat (I was told) happy days it was tagged Skippy and it turned a lot of heads, It is nice to have seen it again and that it has had so much interest.

If anyone knows the owner and if he/she is intrested I can forward a the photo.

That wagon was some motor mate.
As i have previously posted,you were WELL loaded when you used to pass me and there was no catching you.
Good days.

I’ve just been chatting to a mate and he has told me where Shapland school was. The reason I didn’t recognise it is because it has changed it’s name, it is now called Castle School.

Couple of pics of some of Fred Miners wagons in Millbay docks, there was another one on the net of an AEC being loaded in his yard, but can`t locate it unfortunately.

Well I’ve just read this thread from top to bottom and I’m amazed at how many names and pieces of kit I’ve spotted up this end of the country over the years! I mentioned earlier in the thread that whilst looking after the traffic at Western’s Warrington depot, we backhauled quite regularly the likes of Luxton and Coombes, Hottot, Brian Harris, Bryan Haulage (I used to get these 2 mixed up) Stofords, Torridge, AD Smythes, Gregorys etc and I noticed that some of Madderns old Mercs are ex Ferrymasters (they were based up here.) The Harris motors frequently came up this way from Lifton (them little Renaults looked tired after that hike!) and Ricky Lee was a regular with them (wasn’t his lad called Rick too?) and another really nice chap called Mike (M&M transport) but I think he was from Somerset. Another couple we used to see up this way were Griggs and Swifts (both I think from Exeter way) I’m racking my brains for some more…