roping and sheeting

John West:

newmercman:
The Australian dolly was useful when trying to put a tilt back together after a full strip out and I’ve used them on roof racks and the like. I often tie a dolly on loose ends of rope coils in hardware stores too, because I’m daft like that lol

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

What you and Spardo say, rings a bell, because I seem to remember that to accomplish the dollies, you always needed to thread the rope its full length back through, which may be why I remember it as a pain in the ***e!

John.

But that is why you only use short ropes, John. The main drawback, apart from the need to do a double and hold the top loop to stop it falling over before you finish and letting the whole thing drop out, is that you had to judge carefully how long, according to your normal load heights, all your little ropes should be. Ok if you are used to a certain type of load, but on general haulage where it could be anything between 2 and 9 feet or so, it didn’t give flexibility.

I much prefer the British method, even though it meant carrying and heaving quite big coils, but would take an impossibly long time threading it all round a bar each time.