Preston hauliers

josh:
My first proper haulage firm job was with Chris Millers when they were taking the rocks down to Liverpool for the
building of the Seaforth Docks. And also loads of weekend work taking bridge sections for the electrification of the
West Coast rail line. Guys like Johnny Carty and Tommy Brindle there at that time among loads of others and also
abnormal load work it was a great job to get experience of all types of haulage. Not forgetting egg trays from Ireland.

do you mean johnny carthy (honest john)?

GRN 401 F Was my late father’s wagon a Mk 1 Gold Knight, it was latter re cabbed with a Mk 2 cab after a smash.

240 Gardner:

Stanfield:
Nice one bob-lad
Have you anymore Goodier photos

A couple more of John Goodier’s motors:

240 Gardner:

3300John:
Was Ingrams just for a storage yard at Bamber bridge. ■■? I had a look on Google earth and that yard must be houses now. Was it past the
motorway bridge going away from Preston.■■? It Was 34 years ago.
Thanks John.

Perhaps you’re mixing up two different firms, John: there was an animal feeds company in Bamber Bridge called J L (“Jerry”) Ingham, whilst Oswald Ingham was a Manchester-based container haulier who ran orange wagons with red chassis

Re. J.L. Ingham ran a Haulage firm based at Bannister Hall Works Higher Walton he was known as Les, the animal feed was Jerry Ingham same man.

A rare picture of a F88 Parked up just off Aquaduct St preston

Scan08-06-20 2023.tif (55.5 KB)

tankerian:

Once I get the disc with Wright Transport and work out how to put then on I will.

Peter

Peter Wells:

tankerian:

Once I get the disc with Wright Transport and work out how to put then on I will.

Peter

We need to keep this thread live thers lots of transport history around Preston

Just found this site very interesting fine photos of the Ridings yard & fleet .Can any one throw some light on a firm from Garstang in late 50s and 60s used to load cattle feed with us out of Leaver Bros Portsunlight .I think they were called Catheral Bros or a similar name think there motors were a dirty dark blue in colour.your Barry Waddy

tankerian:

Peter Wells:

tankerian:

Peter

Tanker. You should come the the IRTE at the Baton Grange in Feb 2012. We are showing lots of old trucks and lot of picks of hauliers from Preston area. It willl be a goot night. Wheel Tapper is the guy thats doing the talk ect.

Peter

Peter Wells:

tankerian:

Peter Wells:

tankerian:

Peter

Tanker. You should come the the IRTE at the Baton Grange in Feb 2012. We are showing lots of old trucks and lot of picks of hauliers from Preston area. It willl be a goot night. Wheel Tapper is the guy thats doing the talk ect.

Peter

Peter can you supply more detailes i will come if work allows.

Heres one of Richard Parker Haulage, a 140 Scania parked up on Joe Lane Garstang, this shot was taken just before embarking on a trip to Saudi.

How many out there remember this company ■■?

Another shot of the Richard Parker Scania, ready for the long journey to Saudi.

can anybody turn up at barton grange whilst were at it what about prestons at chipping and johnny gornall at longridge

that 140 and trailer is wat i call real class im green eyed rowland

My first job after passing test was for BGM, Alan Gregg is messin about meckin provin in Oakenclough !

wheeltapper:

paul2006:

Peter Wells:
Mr 240 and Mr Big Al.

Who rembers BGM forn Bamber Bridge?

What about Sweda for longton then turned in Viking transport?

Peter

bgm was birkett gregg moorby and were origionally based at higher walton mill. they moved to club st bamber bridge about 1985. long gone now,

I am not 100% sure but I think M Threlfall bought out BGM about 1993

These pics were taken at the Freckleton yard when M. Threlfall fleet was as high as 65 artics, as a result of The Benson’s Crisp work.

All the in house Bensons Fleet prior to M. Threlfall taking over the distribution were leased through Ryder, this shot was taken at Treales at a local paint and bodyshop.

Ford rigid at the old site in Kirkham

Wheel Nut:
I worked with a few smashing lads from Fleet Haulage in Ribchester, even in those days, the DAF’s had seen much better days though. We also shared a lot of work and ferry bookings with Stockton Haulage and WJ Riding. Sadly no pictures though.

Until Now

Are Threlfall haulage still in business ? .

shugg:

Mick told me not long ago he runs just 10 motors now, on mixed work all DAFs except 1 Seddon Atkinson which works on shunting only

wheeltapper:

shugg:

Mick told me not long ago he runs just 10 motors now, on mixed work all DAFs except 1 Seddon Atkinson which works on shunting only

Thanks for your reply , Shugg .

Found this the other day, I think it is a former Mayor ERF, working within Iddon’s fleet its new owner (a few years back).
Nice Picture

Another one i found the other day, W & J Riding Ltd