Ellesmere Port, South Wirral and Chester Firms

Hiya …i’ve just come across this little gem in a book lent to me. The lorry was new to George Mayer in 1956
and is now restored and owned by a chap in Ruthin. the Photo is the property of neil Matlock who is the
author of this book which is fantastic

John

wasn’t there a firm called Otis that used to go into Shotton? (think they ran a fleet of Fodens to and from South Wales and I’m sure they had something to do with Guinness as well)

hayday:
wasn’t there a firm called Otis that used to go into Shotton? (think they ran a fleet of Fodens to and from South Wales and I’m sure they had something to do with Guinness as well)

…and another firm I remember from around EP( a distant relative was a manager there.) Rea from Hooton - think they were a Shell Oil distributor. Also, does anyone recall Millingdale Storage from Hooton - I’m not sure what there site used to be because it was huge, but I can remember they used to do a lot of trailer repairs and ad hoc rebuild stuff

hayday:

hayday:

…and another firm I remember from around EP( a distant relative was a manager there.) Rea from Hooton - think they were a Shell Oil distributor. Also, does anyone recall Millingdale Storage from Hooton - I’m not sure what there site used to be because it was huge, but I can remember they used to do a lot of trailer repairs and ad hoc rebuild stuff

Hiya …that REA outfit did the have dark red mercs with a white band halfway up the cab and REA in quite large
letters in the white band on the door in a lighter red
John

I Remember a firm form Chester, Allan Morriss ,I think ? I used to run bulk loads into the Asc.Lead Co, in Lead Lane Chester, & reload with scrap batteries back to Elswick Works , Newcastle, Morris Transport also did loads down to Westferry Road, London, 70s era. Are they still going I wonder.Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
I Remember a firm form Chester, Allan Morriss ,I think ? I used to run bulk loads into the Asc.Lead Co, in Lead Lane Chester, & reload with scrap batteries back to Elswick Works , Newcastle, Morris Transport also did loads down to Westferry Road, London, 70s era. Are they still going I wonder.Regards Larry

Hiya Lawrence…Alan Morris yes still going IICR he would have got a fleet of Dark green ERF’s in the 80’s
the fleet is a much lighter green nowaday’s…the units are Scania pulling walking floor trailers i think some of his
work is paper and cardboard into the cardboard works on the old shotton steel works…i used to load bails of scrap
of him into sheffield when i worked at Buxton firm…30 years on and i live a mile and half from his depot…
funny how life messes you about.
John

under the crane at bsc shotton loading scrap bales for stocks bridge–alan

back over woodhead

mobildave:

wirralpete:
yep chris, he worked there for 20 odd years. they didnt get the name ‘dodgy squadren’ for nothing you know… :wink: …lol

Pete ,
ask your dad if he remembers my uncle Roy " Ringo " Carden , He worked at castrol for a long time .

Hi is this the ringo that lived in pinetre gr moreton if so i new him for many years i also lived in pinetree gr his bungalow was called the poplars. i am also a tanker driver for abbey road tanks arthur

wirralpete:
ha ha i remember ringo never mind my dad, wasnt he medium height with glasses?. dad talks about the old times with the ‘dodgy squadran’ now and then :smiley:

hi is this the ringo that drove for lobitos and lived in moreton from atki arthur

think he was from moreton arthur,
will ask dad when i get home tuesday, wont get no sense out of him tomorrow, hes up the T A :laughing:

Hiya…is this any good

this photo is curtsy of firefly&duple
John

B ,Waddy ,HI 3300 John a fine picture of a proper motor ,cheers Barry Waddy

atki arthur:

mobildave:

wirralpete:
yep chris, he worked there for 20 odd years. they didnt get the name ‘dodgy squadren’ for nothing you know… :wink: …lol

Pete ,
ask your dad if he remembers my uncle Roy " Ringo " Carden , He worked at castrol for a long time .

Hi is this the ringo that lived in pinetre gr moreton if so i new him for many years i also lived in pinetree gr his bungalow was called the poplars. i am also a tanker driver for abbey road tanks arthur

Yes , Roy " Ringo " Carden did live in Pintree Grove with Hilda ( my auntie ) , he certainly was a character . It was because of my uncle Roy i became a tanker driver .

A.M Clearing had a mention yet?

amclearingtransport.co.uk/gallery-page

I worked for Ionian 90/91, it was owned by Joe Ion & Phil O’Brian hence the company name, last 3 letters of each surname, Joe is the only one I’ve ever met with his full name on his number plate, his Jag was JOE 10N, we did a lot of work for McAndrews
[/quote]
I was searching for Offleys of Ellesmere Port when I came across this. My dad was Phil O’Brien and worked for Offleys in the 50’s/60’s. The Ionian name came from the Ionian Sea. Joe was a cook on a ship and I believe he saved someone who had fallen overboard. He had a restaurant under the Liver Buildings named the Ionian years before the haulage company was even thought of - mid to late 60’s.

Farrall’s from Ashton near Chester,my old man has driven for them for 40 years now.

Philinfla:
I worked for Ionian 90/91, it was owned by Joe Ion & Phil O’Brian hence the company name, last 3 letters of each surname, Joe is the only one I’ve ever met with his full name on his number plate, his Jag was JOE 10N, we did a lot of work for McAndrews

I was searching for Offleys of Ellesmere Port when I came across this. My dad was Phil O’Brien and worked for Offleys in the 50’s/60’s. The Ionian name came from the Ionian Sea. Joe was a cook on a ship and I believe he saved someone who had fallen overboard. He had a restaurant under the Liver Buildings named the Ionian years before the haulage company was even thought of - mid to late 60’s.
[/quote]
Hello phil, yes i remember Ionian they had some nice old Atkinson Borderes on container work , didnt they have macpak on them ? Offley bothers carrying that nasty octane in those nice T45s , Pictures anyone , thankyou Trevor

Farralls from Ashton near Chester

2014-03-25 13.34.30.jpg

I started with Darlingtons in Heswall on the Wirral as a summer relief driver some time in the mid 70s. The firm was run by the boss’s son who did not take kindly to me. Mainly because I would not kowtow to him as most of the other drivers did. Anyway, it was only a summer job so I didn’t give a monkeys. Most of the drivers were long-time employees and were frightened to talk to me in case they incurred the displeasure of the boss’s son. I remember taking over a fairly new AEC six-wheeler flat bed with rear-a-steer system and I was told not to exceed 20mph under any circumstances because it belonged to the oldest driver and he wanted to keep it as new as possible. Needless to say, I blatted down the motorway at 55 all day long.

The fleet was mainly fairly modern ERFs and new aluminum bulk trailers and bodies. Some artics, some eight leggers and one or two AEC flatbeds. They also washed the trucks every single day. The work was quite odd at times with hauling bulk grain from the docks to cattlefeed companies and breweries. In the summer the eight leggers would bring back top soil from property developments and store it in the yard. Darlington had a very profitable side-line selling good quality top soil. The eight leggers had four wheel drive and diff-locks so that they could easily traverse green fields.

Darlingtons also had a plant-hire arm and I spent about six weeks driving a JCB on the new M53 motorway, but eventually I got fed up with the attitude of the company and so I left to start with Suttons.