Scott's of Oldham

Wow, those pictures really took me back!! I worked at Scott’s in the early 70’s as Stock Control Clerk in the offices. I remember “Mr.Denny” as we used to call him also John Sykes - Accounts Manager, some other names - Harry Green (Tspt.Manager), Ray Knox (Gen.Manager),Bumped into Ray Knox years ago @ Adamsons Coachbuilders in Oldham, I also remember Big Jack Kershaw, Gordon Scott & Pam of course - went to a few parties at their house! Used to knock about with Malcolm Fox (Mechanic) and remember Arthur (accounts), Edith (Cleaner/Tea Lady),Fred Stott, Sam Barton, Fred Clark etc. I worked under Frank Shepherdson untill he retired - what a lovely gent. he was!!! Good Times - great memories!!! Ian Shakeshaft.

A few more names/memories came flooding back last night after “opening the old memory banks” - I remember Mr Dennis Scott drove an old BMW 2dr.with a private plate “DS------”, I remember Arthur’s surname who worked with John Sykes in a/c’s - Arthur Wallis - drove a Ford Cortina “1600 E” - “SBU 85G” - if memory serves - he used to be in the Guards Reg’t prior to Scott’s,remember going on some fishing competitions with Ray Knox and Arthur in Ray’s Ford Cortina, I remember Ray lived in the corner house - right across the road from Scott’s. Remember being on the switchboard filling in for Pam Scott a few times - and answerring the phone to John Sykes (didn’t wash my ear for a week - LOL!!). I remember there was another “Scott” worked in the workshops with Fred Stott, Gordon Scott & Malcolm Fox - he would have been in his late teens in the early seventies can’t quite remember his name - was it Brian?? - he had a purple Mini he was fixing up - round the back of the mill. I remember the Mill Lodge and the gaurd dog around the back of the mill - can’t remember if there was any fish in that!!? Seem to remember Sam Barton had an old green"Moggi Thou" van - then got a brand new white Morris Marina van (MBU 46L■■?).
I remember some of our old customers names too:- Bowater-Scott, Beatson-Clark (Fred Clarke had a team of ladies in the basement who used to check perfume bottles/nail polish bottles etc. for defects), East Lanc’s Paper Mills - Newton Mill, Hyde (We stored massive reels of paper and some flat pallets to for them), Music For Pleasure (stored loads of L.P’s for them - used to get discount too!!), Fibrosil (stored great big tubs of Starch/powder products for them), Hymans/J.T.Griffiths (Stored cotton waste etc for them), Phoenix Packaging (stored pallets of cardboard boxes for them), I remember the name Compoflex in Delph (can’t recall what we did for them though?), Aerialite? (stored massive cable drums in the yard for them - sometimes had to get a mobile crane in to load the reels onto the wagons for them). I also remember some of the drivers names - Jack Kershaw (seem to remember Jack/someone having a bad crash in the early 70’s??), Dalziell, Pinder, Gresty?? - the memory is now failing me - hope these memories bring a smile to someone’s face out there!!! Ian.

Hello Ian, you just mentioned that somebody from Sammy Scotts had a bad crash in the seventies, that wouldn’t of been the one that Johnny Anchor and Terry May’s (or was it Terry Maize) were driving would it, when they wrote off I.I.R.C. an E.R.F. at a roundabout in fog about 1977. I think Terry had booked a weeks holiday and had decided to double up with John on a trip to London and I seem to think that the accident happened near that roundabout at the top of Burnley Lane, Jack Kershaw will know. I do remember seeing John with his broken foot in plaster and him telling me that he got showered in boiling hot water when the radiator was smashed. With all the steam he thought that the cab was on fire and he couldnt get out as his foot was stuck underneath the dashboard. Also didn’t Jack Pinder go on to own The Dog And Partridge in Middleton, in the mid eighties

Regards Steve.

Terry May :exclamation: now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time, sure he had a brother called Mick who went on to drive for an Italian firm in the early 70’s which was quite unusual for the time, they both worked at Thos; Harrisons at some point between 70-72 when I was in the traffic office.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Hello Dave, I don’t think that Terry May and Mick May were brothers, I.I.R.C. Mick was tall and blond and Terry was small with ginger hair. I worked with them both at one time and if the Billy Hodgekiss who you mentioned on an earlier post on this thread had a brother called Barry then we were all working at the same firm at the same time. Mick did work for a company called High Street fashion or Top Hat clothing or something like that before they were taken over by Fashion Flow (I think), delivering clothes in a artic all over Britain. He was always very well dressed was Mick :slight_smile: , I also remember when he started running to France and thinking WOW.
I am not sure what happened to Terry, maybe Gerry Mac knows as he also worked with both Terry and Mick although I know that Terry did work for Courtaulds or was it Remploy :confused:
So that leaves me with another question, were Courtaulds and Remploy the same company or was there some connection as I remember Terry doing a stint with both companies over the years. Maybe you or Paul Moomooland know the answer to this one.

Regards Steve.

This photograph, probably taken at the weekend when they were not down the road, shows what a mixed and varied fleet Scott’s had in the early years.
From left to right a Leyland, an ERF,a Leyland Beaver,an AEC Mandator, a Leyland Beaver, a six wheel Leyland Steer (Chinese 6) and an AEC Matador at the far end.
The picture was taken at the bottom of Westhulme Street in Oldham which is now part of the grounds of Oldham Royal Hospital.

VBU 684 H-001.jpg

moomooland:

Lovely old pictures moomooland , i can remember those AECs well ! thank you Trevor .

:smiley:

If anyone is interested have finally got round to making a dedicated Facebook page for Scott’s of Oldham.

facebook.com/groups/2171102742947014/

Have over 100 images to post on the site over the coming months. :smiley:

Whatever happened to Scotts ?.

moomooland:

A screen shot of what the old site once looked like before the dimise of Fotopic :frowning:

What a pity it’s been lost

GAZ70:
What a pity it’s been lost

Yes quite a shame really. :frowning:

Scotts of Oldham… facebook.com/groups/2171102742947014/

Facebook is not really the ideal platform but will have to do until i find something better.

Hello Paul,

You can use Paul Gee’s Scotts of Oldham pics.I think there were two from memory. Let me know if you need
copies. :wink:

DEANB:
Hello Paul, You can use Paul Gee’s Scotts of Oldham pics.I think there were two from memory. Let me know if you need
copies. :wink:

Hi Dean,
Thanks for that.

Paul has been on Facebook himself, had a bit of a chat, and he posted the picture below :smiley:

Unfortunately i think it’s the only one he has unless he turns up with another.

Any former Scott’s of Oldham drivers out there. :smiley:

Started a Facebook page and have already had a great response from old drivers along with help from Barry and David Scott.

The Scott’s of Oldham Archive

Had a look at your Scotts of Oldham facebook page Paul. There are some great pics on there. :smiley:
They are not easy to find,i have been keeping an eye out for them in the truck mags,but nothing yet. :wink:

DEANB:
Had a look at your Scotts of Oldham facebook page Paul. There are some great pics on there. :smiley:
They are not easy to find,i have been keeping an eye out for them in the truck mags,but nothing yet. :wink:

Thanks for that Dean .

Considering they ran a fairly large fleet back in the day out of three depots at Oldham, Newton le Willows and Ellesmere Port it really is surprising how few pictures there are and it’s really only thanks to Barry Scott that i have accumulated so many. :smiley:

Here’s one from the archives an early 1950’s shot of one of several Leyland engined S-Type Bedford’s in the fleet coupled to a semi trailer built by Scott’s themselves.

It is parked at what used to be called North Moor off Featherstall Road in Oldham which is now the site of Oldham Hospital Laundry.

The Scott’s of Oldham Archive

Saturday 28th of July 1973 and Scott’s of Oldham ERF 4LV 4x2 tractor unit Reg No ABU 272J is seen maneuvering a trailer outside the entrance to Scott’s Pine Mill at the junction of Barton Street and Sherwood Street in Oldham

Everything in the picture has long since disappeared and has now been replaced by housing.