J.T.Hunt Atkinson Borderer's

JRR 39D - Was an Atkinson 150 Gardiner, It was rebuilt and used for a show up in Blackburn I believe, it was then used to take trailers to MOT on a regular basis to Handsworth Sheffield at the time the new lorries were E reg Foden trucks. I have a picture of XRA 390S, Arthur Bird’s and Arthur Belk’s motor that travelled to Huntingdon regular on the Batchelors changeover with Lenham Storage, Arthur Belk is sadly not with us anymore but Arthur Bird is still going strong.

Sorry its not an Atki and its BW but its a smart J.T.Hunt motor. :smiley: Mike.

IMG_0027 (640x486).jpg

I can recall Hunts Borderers delivering loads of glass to the Libby factory in Milnthorpe next door to our depot whereabouts would the glass be from,Pontefract or somewhere ? Leaper Bros. Fodens also delivered glass as well.Cheers Bewick.

Emoplugs:
JRR 39D - Was an Atkinson 150 Gardiner, It was rebuilt and used for a show up in Blackburn I believe, it was then used to take trailers to MOT on a regular basis to Handsworth Sheffield at the time the new lorries were E reg Foden trucks. I have a picture of XRA 390S, Arthur Bird’s and Arthur Belk’s motor that travelled to Huntingdon regular on the Batchelors changeover with Lenham Storage, Arthur Belk is sadly not with us anymore but Arthur Bird is still going strong.

JRR 39D came up to a (Seddon) Atkinson Gathering in Leyland, either 1987 or 1988, and I do remember mention of it being used as an MOT shunter. It’s now restored and carrying a ballast box

Here are two J.T.Hunt photos of atkinsons. The Borderer is loaded with jars for baby food going to Wells in somerset .Picture taken at the lay by Cafe around 1975/76. The Seddon Atkinson is bound for Norwich with glass jars for R & Colman.

Thank you ‘brickman’ !!

Hi there,I know this is a long shot but can anyone help please?I am looking to locate a Seddon Atkinson tractor unit,like the red one shown in the photos above.It is wanted for Mr John Hunt’s (of JT HUNT Haulage of Worksop) funeral,which will be taking place in early January 2017.He sadly passed away Dec 13th.
Many thanks

Jo

Hi Joanne,

I was sorry to hear that John had passed away.

I would love to help , but I am afraid that I do not know of any J.T.Hunt or even red Seddon Atkinsons in existence, although I am sure there must be, but I will ask around.
Am I right that the funeral is on 5th January ?

Yours ,

Brickman

IMG_4365.JPGex J T Hunt Atkinson silver Knight seen at SYTMUSEUM today

Did Hunts have a low bridge on the access road to their depot, I only ask as all their box trailers I remember seeing seemed to be very low.

Thanks Dave.

This is a Paul C. Gee photo of a J T Hunt Atkinson Borderer. I remember the café on the A1 at Thornaugh,it was just below RAF Wittering and IIRC called the Woodside or Woodlands? I’ve had one or two dodgys on there… :smiley:
I did have a photo of another J T Hunt wagon with a load of Bachelor’s tinned product,another firm they worked for,but I don’t think it was an Atkinson.

A01543.JPG

dave docwra:
Did Hunts have a low bridge on the access road to their depot, I only ask as all their box trailers I remember seeing seemed to be very low.

Thanks Dave.

Hi dave I never went in when Hunts had it but did go in later when Seafield had it, no low bridge but some of the wharehouse access was low

Does anybody remember or have any photos of the Atkinson Borderer artics owned by JT Hunt?. I think it was JT anyway. Red trucks with bold white lettering as I recall. They used to park up in a line on the verge of the A1 south bound at Thornaugh near Wansford before it was a proper layby, then the drivers would cross both carrageways to get to the Cafe!.

ERF:
Does anybody remember or have any photos of the Atkinson Borderer artics owned by JT Hunt?. I think it was JT anyway. Red trucks with bold white lettering as I recall. They used to park up in a line on the verge of the A1 south bound at Thornaugh near Wansford before it was a proper layby, then the drivers would cross both carrageways to get to the Cafe!.

Somewhere I have a photo of a Mk.1 Atki, JRR 39D, belonging to J T Hunt but no Borderers, I’m afraid

240 Gardner:
Somewhere I have a photo of a Mk.1 Atki, JRR 39D, belonging to J T Hunt but no Borderers, I’m afraid

That would be great if you could find it!. I do remember the Mk1’s too, but thought there was more chance of someone having a photo of a Borderer. Thanks!.