Transport cafe on A5 at Brownhills

Does anyone remember the cafe at Dordon on the A5 between Tamworth & Atherstone on the left heading south, The absolute luxury of the underfloor heating in the digs in winter was just great, I always used to try and get in there on the way back from London,that took a bit of doing.Leave Manchester at midnight 3 drops London, load ex Park Royal, and then back to Dordon ,all that with aMK 1 Atki 8 wheeler 6LW (wow all that power) , but it did have a ZF 6 speed box, top speed 40mph.These digs I think belonged to the garage next door, which had the franchise for Italian petrol company Supercortemaggiora, ( not sure about the spelling) does anyone remember that name.This was in the late 50s early 60s.

I THINK the building is still there, selling hot tubs and garden ponds from the site

3300John:
The BP truck stops have gone to the same standard as all the other uk cafes CLOSED. MR Stobart owns the one at Alconbury. Georges at Crick was ok if you was starving hungary and thats a trailer park. Shell at West Brom is a Warehouse now. All the purpose built places have closed if only they had all been s…
houses like Lincoln farm the Hollies and the old Populars we could of risked the chance of gut rot. Whats the other option?? a Lay by !!! go through a hedge for a c…p and stand in someone elses. HAAAA now i remember why i gave the job up 10 years early (Good job I saved hard too) .I think if you did a survey of people working 25 years ago there was no other person more dedicated to there job as much as a lorry driver, The one and only requirement we really asked for was somewhere handy to parkup /washup and have reasonable food and not pay with your life savings, And instead of giving they have taken away. But i’m out of it now, and feel a bit sorry for those of you that missed the good times are are stuck with the bad !!!.
John

I,ll second that john,did 30+yrs ret 15yrs ago.
regards dave

John was`nt the cafe just south of the M69 A5 island where the conference centre is now, called the Flower Pot or the Rainbow and had a bit of a lay-bye each side the road?

3piece-wheel:
John was`nt the cafe just south of the M69 A5 island where the conference centre is now, called the Flower Pot or the Rainbow and had a bit of a lay-bye each side the road?

Are we thinking about the ‘Aviary’?

the hollies used to remind me of home; dark and dirty and full of strangers !

The Hollies is OK but I always feel like wiping my feet on the way out. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
The Hollies is OK but I always feel like wiping my feet on the way out. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Not muddy in there at all now ,most of the lorry park has a tarmac surface now.
I never really used it as I only live a few miles from there but one morning a mate asked me to call in and have a cuppa with him, I had about 22t of copper ingots on a flat trailer, when we came out of the café you could only see the top half of the trailer wheels that had sunk in the mud !

petecud:

3piece-wheel:

Are we thinking about the ‘Aviary’?

Best little Café on the A5 between Cannock and the M1 IMHO. Cheers Bewick.

The only cafe I remember at brownhills was not on the A5 but on the pelsall road not far from the big island on Chester rd ,it was nr what is now a Kingdom Hall ,I think it shut around 2000 ?

Punchy Dan:
The only cafe I remember at brownhills was not on the A5 but on the pelsall road not far from the big island on Chester rd ,it was nr what is now a Kingdom Hall ,I think it shut around 2000 ?

Hi Dan,
That was Greasy Joe’s,don’t know its correct name,it was just past Kingdom Hall it was where the new houses are

The café reminds me of home; dark and dirty and full of strangers !

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,
That was Greasy Joe’s,don’t know its correct name,it was just past Kingdom Hall it was where the new houses are

Just came to me Dan, it was Taylors Cafe AKA Greasy Joe’s

There was a cafe (long gone now) at Brownhills on Chester Road, on the right hand side heading for Brum. It always seemed busy but, being a tipper driver, I never called in!

Oops! :blush: Just read back and it was mentioned seven years ago on this thread!

Pete.

pete smith:

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,

Just came to me Dan, it was Taylors Cafe AKA Greasy Joe’s

I had a regular run to strumech and would call in odd times.

3300John:

BigG-Unit:
Took this pic earlier in the year of the Jubilee, (that was) Well this is the one with the car sales at the side !! :confused: :laughing:

HI In the early 70s where they sell the cars(MGs)now Is’ent that where the cafe was and they built the Little Chef on the truck park IICR.■■

there was a cafe there years ago

curnock:

3300John:

BigG-Unit:
Took this pic earlier in the year of the Jubilee, (that was) Well this is the one with the car sales at the side !! :confused: :laughing:

HI In the early 70s where they sell the cars(MGs)now Is’ent that where the cafe was and they built the Little Chef on the truck park IICR.■■

there was a cafe there years ago

That was definately the site of the Jubilee, I remember being in there (teenager!) and a great big Scotsman ordered apple pie and custard, he flipped the top off the apple pie and apple was covered in mould!

Shocking news…
They are resurfacing the Hollies! Lots of smooth clean concrete! It is still work in progress so still lots of pot holes to loose your truck in remain for now!

I used to go into this fine establishment when I was a kid in the 1950s with my dad the late Hughie Robinson who was a tipper driver for the whitwick granite company Coalville leicester…a few years back I was over in England on holiday and rediscovered it…well unless my memory isnt serving me that well it has hardly changed at all with its extensive menu of precooked delights!!..anyway the one toilet was still in the same place as it was in 1957!! upstairs at the end of the drivers bedrooms!! it appeared to have been cleaned a few times since then .Wayne R

robinswh:
I used to go into this fine establishment when I was a kid in the 1950s with my dad the late Hughie Robinson who was a tipper driver for the whitwick granite company Coalville leicester…a few years back I was over in England on holiday and rediscovered it…well unless my memory isnt serving me that well it has hardly changed at all with its extensive menu of precooked delights!!..anyway the one toilet was still in the same place as it was in 1957!! upstairs at the end of the drivers bedrooms!! it appeared to have been cleaned a few times since then .Wayne R

I remember this place, not sure about the name. Had a huge dormitory underneath the cafe, was it The Jubilee ? terrible place to stay.