Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

Does anyone remember or have any photo’s of C. H. Harvey’s, a tipper firm in the Gorton area I think in the 60’s/70’s.

Or Truscott Transport who ran a fleet of 40 x TK luton vans, on Textile St, West Gorton.

TIPIT:
Does anyone remember or have any photo’s of C. H. Harvey’s, a tipper firm in the Gorton area I think in the 60’s/70’s.

Or Truscott Transport who ran a fleet of 40 x TK luton vans, on Textile St, West Gorton.

Hi TIPIT,

Were Truscott’s motors a pale blue?

David

Hi Tipit. There was a Truscotts based at New Scout Mill in Mossley during the 60s who ran Bedfords luton type vans they moved a lot of foam material IIRC and I think they finnished around 1970.

stravaiger:
CRS opposite Salford docks was another handy one for “Nippover” backloads if all else failed. 3 ton here then nip over to Middleton and…

This old magazine pic reminded me of the typical pick ups at the time. 2 or 3 ton of abrasives etc for the Saw Centre,Eglington St Glasgow. Handball off. Wonderful. I hasten to add both items below were of little interest to a 3 year old and I’m far too young to know what thirteen and a tanner was :unamused:

A slightly newer Carborundum artic,a MK5 Mandator with a four-in-line trailer…Graham Edge photo.

5thwheel … I can’t remember them myself, but I’ve been told they were 2 Tone Blue. It’s just weird how I can’t place them even though I must have grew up just 500 yards from the address I was given.

Stanfield … It was John Cary that said he worked in the garage there, after his time at Lamb’s, but it does sound like the same firm.

Paul.

stravaiger:
CRS opposite Salford docks was another handy one for “Nippover” backloads if all else failed. 3 ton here then nip over to Middleton and…

This old magazine pic reminded me of the typical pick ups at the time. 2 or 3 ton of abrasives etc for the Saw Centre,Eglington St Glasgow. Handball off. Wonderful. I hasten to add both items below were of little interest to a 3 year old and I’m far too young to know what thirteen and a tanner was :unamused:

in 1968 that would buy 9 pints of beer and have change, happy days :smiley: :smiley:

Just for the lad Stanny, a pic of Len Shields’ Trader in the canal at Whaley.

You can certainly come up with the goods BD cheers mate.I remember Len Shields (QUIXMIX) traders very well indeed.

pp o`connors scania 143

We used to load tilts with soya meal out of British Arcady for export. I remember we had to make sure that the trailer floor was bone dry and that the trailer did not have any nasty niffs or the soya would absorbe the smell. Great set of lads as you said and there was always a “gift” for the driver for the wife to knock up in the kitchen.
Cliff

Lawrence Dunbar:
Can any of you Manchester Boys remember a firm called British Arcady, near Trafford Park, they were not Transport people, the made bagged pastry for bakeries, I used to load there in the 50/60s, Cracking set of blokes, they were very helpfull, not like some places I went to, where they went out of their way to be RSLS, , these blokes even helped you to sheet up, any memmories lads.?.. Regards Larry

When I was a kid I use to cadge rides out with some of the drivers from Nelstrops flour. Arkady was a favorite you could be there and back before me Mum knew I was missing. Has anyone got any Nelstrop pics, they had a right mixed bag.

Carlc:
We used to load tilts with soya meal out of British Arcady for export. I remember we had to make sure that the trailer floor was bone dry and that the trailer did not have any nasty niffs or the soya would absorbe the smell. Great set of lads as you said and there was always a “gift” for the driver for the wife to knock up in the kitchen.
Cliff

Lawrence Dunbar:
Can any of you Manchester Boys remember a firm called British Arcady, near Trafford Park, they were not Transport people, the made bagged pastry for bakeries, I used to load there in the 50/60s, Cracking set of blokes, they were very helpfull, not like some places I went to, where they went out of their way to be RSLS, , these blokes even helped you to sheet up, any memmories lads.?.. Regards Larry

Bringing this thread back to page 1.Found this pic for sale on the dreaded ebay.

Thanks for this one John, I’ve been wondering how to bump this thread up again.

Found this on flickr site belonging to colinfpickett he was asking if anyone knew anything about this company(hope he wont mind me useing it).Well the only company I knew with this name was James Bacon from Blackley village nr Middleton Manchester,he ran a few tippers during the 50/60s mainly on day work around the M/chester area,he was also a good mate of Tom Stephens who owned John Beistys transport,at one point during the early 70s i think he bought 1 or 2 lorries of Beisty.
J Bacon & Co Ltd FODEN.jpgAnyone else anymore info on this company at all.

While asking for info, does anyone remember two brothers operating out of Trafford Park in the 50s or 60s? I once saw a photo in some trucking publication of a new Thorneycroft 8-wheeler with a really super looking cab with their name on it. Any info would be welcome.

Stanfield:
Found this on flickr site belonging to colinfpickett he was asking if anyone knew anything about this company(hope he wont mind me useing it).Well the only company I knew with this name was James Bacon from Blackley village nr Middleton Manchester,he ran a few tippers during the 50/60s mainly on day work around the M/chester area,he was also a good mate of Tom Stephens who owned John Beistys transport,at one point during the early 70s he bought 1 or 2 lorries of Beisty.0Anyone else anymore info on this company at all.

Hello John, another great photo which certainly sparked a few memories for me and has kept me busy for the last four hours :smiley: .
I noticed that the telephone number on the front is CHE 3112 which would of been the old Cheetham Hill telephone exchange, I did wonder why it wasn’t BLA for Blackley but I then remembered that BLA was for the central Manchester telephone exchange called Blackfriers.
I can’t remember seeing any Fodens of Jim Bacon’s in the early sixties but I do remember that he had four or five red Bedford tippers, definitely the T.J. model and possibly an “O” series.
That photo was definitely not taken outside their yard that they had in the early sixties on Middleton Old Road but the photo looks like it could of been taken in the late forties early fifties.
I.I.R.C. there was another tipper firm almost opposite the The Red Lion pub on Rochdale Road at the junction with Middleton Old Road which was next to a small scrap yard. (Not Jack Robinsons which was nearer to Queens Road).
When I was about to leave school and I was looking for a motor mechanic apprenticeship my Dad told me to go and see an old school mate of his called Jim Bacon on Middleton Old Road. I went to see Jim at his garage that used to be at this location maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=53 … 49,0,5.52 but Jim was out on a job and the bloke who I spoke to said that they didn’t need an apprentice so that was that.
Having just done a Google search it seems that Jim has retired and is now 96 years young and it looks like his son Jim and daughter Linda has taken over the reins as they appear to be still going.
Why not give them a call John as I bet that they have got some really good old photos of Manchester tippers and who knows, maybe the fellow in the photo is Jim Bacon himself.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve I was thinking of doing that mate,there phone number is 7403117 which is very close to the one on the photo 311- plus I dont live to far away to go and pay them a visit.

Looks like this picture was taken from an article about Road Haulage in the Manchester Area in Vintage Roadscene Vol 9 No 35 June-August 1993, the article was called ‘Bringing Home the Bacon’ (Reminiscences of the 1950s) by W K Berry.

Stanfield:
Found this on flickr site belonging to colinfpickett he was asking if anyone knew anything about this company(hope he wont mind me useing it).Well the only company I knew with this name was James Bacon from Blackley village nr Middleton Manchester,he ran a few tippers during the 50/60s mainly on day work around the M/chester area,he was also a good mate of Tom Stephens who owned John Beistys transport,at one point during the early 70s he bought 1 or 2 lorries of Beisty.0Anyone else anymore info on this company at all.

Looks like this picture was taken from an article about Road Haulage in the Manchester Area in Vintage Roadscene Vol 9 No 35 June-August 1993, the article was called ‘Bringing Home the Bacon’ (Reminiscences of the 1950s) by W K Berry.

Quote(( That photo was definitely not taken outside their yard that they had in the early sixties on Middleton Old Road but the photo looks like it could of been taken in the late forties early fifties))

Hi Steve it was taken outside his yard if you look close in between the two lorries you can just see the dome on top of the fuel pump which was on the pavement opposite,in fact when I called in the other day the concrete pad what it was fixed too is still there and also one of the pics on the office wall shows exactly the same pump.Cheers John