Any one remember samuel williams dagenham docks

just a brief note to say that my father alan frost who took many of the photos that i started this thread with passed away in august aged 79 yrs

I used to load out of Sammys in the seventys coils for ST ,Helens . and lancasher long wates but could have a crafty pint in the club on a hot day .I remember Brian cooke from B R S Queensferry parking up at dinner time went to the canteen the old mess hut came back but had parked on the rail way lines .No cab on his SCammell route man B R S not impressed yours Barry Waddy

I remember in the 60s delivering Metal Box stuff from Their factory at Perrywood Worcestershire, I used to load there off the BRS, quite often, their shunter used to give me a hand the my sheets, Happy Days Larry.

bump

I have asked before but i will ask again, does anyone know where Jimmy maculalay is these days i got a sort of reply before then the trail went cold. i once lent Jim £20 ( quite a bit back then ) nad got it back a week later with a very nice letter from the guv (cant remember the name) at ferry Freighting saying if ever i needed help in italy i only had to ring him. wonder if that sort of thing happens now?

any more samuel williams fotos out there

any more samuel williams fotos out there

any more samuel williams photos out there

Another fantastic thread with some great pictures. I only knew it as LCOW but everyone still called it Sammy Williams. Confusing when you asked for a load from Silvertown for them :blush:

Wheel Nut:
Another fantastic thread with some great pictures. I only knew it as LCOW but everyone still called it Sammy Williams. Confusing when you asked for a load from Silvertown for them :blush:

Malc,LCOW - London and Coastal Oil Wharves was at Canvey Island. Samuel Williams at Dagenham Dock was SWTT - Samuel Williams Thames Terminal. :sunglasses:

I like the photo on page 1 of the Vabis and the drivers mate with the arm leaning out the window. I don’t think you would get away with having the wee fella with you in such places now adays ehh. Eddie.

Chris Webb:

Wheel Nut:

Malc,LCOW - London and Coastal Oil Wharves was at Canvey Island. Samuel Williams at Dagenham Dock was SWTT - Samuel Williams Thames Terminal. :sunglasses:

It did become London and Coastal (Dagenham) Chris, probably after they let 50,000 gallons of petrol into the river at Canvey. That was in February 1977

The storage of flammable liquids on this site is also being considered in the context of the Canvey Island/Thurrock investigation which is at present being carried out by the Health and Safety Executive.

This cost them the petroleum spirit licence at Canvey and a £700 fine :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:

Wheel Nut:

It did become London and Coastal (Dagenham) Chris, probably after they let 50,000 gallons of petrol into the river at Canvey. That was in February 1977

The storage of flammable liquids on this site is also being considered in the context of the Canvey Island/Thurrock investigation which is at present being carried out by the Health and Safety Executive.

This cost them the petroleum spirit licence at Canvey and a £700 fine :open_mouth:

Thanks Malc,I didn’t know that. £700 for 50,000 galls,seems good value.I think the last time I loaded from Canvey was out of Texaco,around 1976 time maybe.I remember Wim Vos running into LCOW with latex and having to drop trailer ont weighbridge as it only went to either 38 or 40 tonnes. :laughing:

any more pictures of samuel williams/john hudson out there ?

bump

have some good photos of samuel williams scanias taken in the 1960s if theres any intrest ill post them at some point

They would be to see mate, my dad grew up round that way, love a bit of nostalgia :smiley: :smiley:

Knew Sammys’ & all the TIR drivers.

I used to loads coils out of Sammy,s Dagenham dock in the seventies, Could be there for hours waiting to load. But could also have pint at dinnertime in there little club and if there at night would walk up to Checkers for one,Also would like to see photos, If anyone can remember .these companies i worked for at the time, S J Morris Llanfechain(ERF B Series 1977 and W T Hurdsman Oswestry (Scania 140, M reg (Nev)

I loaded coils from Sammies in the 70’s, would love to see some pictures of those LB 76’s. I remeber coming north on the M1 with my Dad in his new AEC Mercury empty and as we went up the bank after Newport Pagnell services one of those 76’s came past us like we were stood still and he had a load of coils on, I think that was the time I realised just how good they were, that was 1968.