The bake-house?

hi ,the bake house is still there ,just changed the name ,

The Bakehouse doubled as an undertakers did it not, remember the fly’s like helicopters & the bogs always stank as well, Buzzer.

I’ll make you right there Buzzer. Dreadful place.
Perhaps this thread needs re - naming “We didn’t have time to do much work but boy did we eat well”.

David

brookie:

gazzer:
Its about 13 euro now for a “Repas” Gaz. I usually have one on the way up in the summer at Vivonne on the N10.

I used to use a few on the N10, one just north of Tours near Monnaie, on the left heading north up the N10. another one was just before Angouleme, on the right heading south, neon lights outside, got very busy with french motors, but great food. I prefered it to the BP at Bordeaux, never was a fan of the BP truckstops.

A great drive the N10, used it all the time when we shipped from Newhaven - Dieppe for Spain and Portugal. Happy days!

Sorry for the detour from my original post!

brookie.

I think that one topside of Angouleme was at Anais. It was called Relais de la Touche and was run by Algerians. I used to love most of those routiers stops up the length of the N10. Like you say: happy days! Robert

David ,you were not a fresh meat ,fridge man then,you never got time to stop and eat well!!after time/years, i did get to stop at the Bakehouse ,and the Monkey house, once,and most of the routiers mentioned on this site and posts, and never could understand why blokes did,slopping the old vin-rouge,noisey ,mix of foreigners,dutch,belgian,french ,german ,.

AS "ENGLISHMEN"Be honest ,if there were no other ENGLISH MEN there in the place, you were a duck out of water trying to be “european” i did the job long enough to know the red -wine was the draw,and the bread to fill you up, and then eat,what you all thought was a jolly good feed[my opinion] i soon learned… .“you can all ways be a orange box but never a orange” meaning the style of eating and its menu,s were not ours so why try to be foreigner. Look after yourself ,that was the key to european work .you never got the tom-■■■■ self catering…

You probably know as well as i do there were certain companies on regular [PRATO JOHN]work that i kept away from them all .,some men balked at cooking in the cab,but when there was no "restaurant "around they would not refuse a feed from me and my cab catering/my pressure cooker did wonders .so no i avoided them all AND restaurants in 30 odd years in european i bet i never had more than 5 meals out ever…its years since ,but i remember it all well-ish. SO NO THE BAKEHOUSE WAS NOT FOR ME …PDB.

GAZ IOW:
The Monkeyhouse was on RN84 between Nantua and Bellegarde
a good hour and a half after the Bakehouse! :smiley:

Regards GAZ

Correct GAZ, a long way from the Bake House, The monkey House as it is now, dilapidated, and falling down.

Monkey3.jpg
Ossie.

peggydeckboy:
David ,you were not a fresh meat ,fridge man then,you never got time to stop and eat well!!after time/years, i did get to stop at the Bakehouse ,and the Monkey house, once,and most of the routiers mentioned on this site and posts, and never could understand why blokes did,slopping the old vin-rouge,noisey ,mix of foreigners,dutch,belgian,french ,german ,.

AS "ENGLISHMEN"Be honest ,if there were no other ENGLISH MEN there in the place, you were a duck out of water trying to be “european” i did the job long enough to know the red -wine was the draw,and the bread to fill you up, and then eat,what you all thought was a jolly good feed[my opinion] i soon learned… .“you can all ways be a orange box but never a orange” meaning the style of eating and its menu,s were not ours so why try to be foreigner. Look after yourself ,that was the key to european work .you never got the tom-■■■■ self catering…

You probably know as well as i do there were certain companies on regular [PRATO JOHN]work that i kept away from them all .,some men balked at cooking in the cab,but when there was no "restaurant "around they would not refuse a feed from me and my cab catering/my pressure cooker did wonders .so no i avoided them all AND restaurants in 30 odd years in european i bet i never had more than 5 meals out ever…its years since ,but i remember it all well-ish. SO NO THE BAKEHOUSE WAS NOT FOR ME …PDB.

Peggy, 5 meals out in 30 odd years while driving in Europe, that must be some kind of a record.

I just wondered which years you worked for A.C.H. because in the early eighties I was told by two of their drivers that A.C.H. had a company policy of no cooking in the cab and I can never remember seeing any of their vehicles having trailer boxes fitted.
I.I.R.C. the food on the U.K. motorway service areas in the 70’s /80’s was nothing special apart from The All Day Breakfast, which often looked like it had been there…all day. :slight_smile:

I can’t remember ‘the flies’ in the Bakehouse but I shall never forget the smell of the freshly baked bread where we used to have a wash and wasn’t there a Swiss style chalet café near Bonneville near the peage :confused: .

The Monkey House.

bakehouse looks sad now left me toilet bag in there on my last visit.anyone remember pops at aosta

Mushroomman, yes you are correct,as you know ACH had lots of rules, and lots to break, i left and went back3 times between 1989 - 1990 untill 1994–ish in march 1994 when MOST OF US got prosecution notices that eventually finished ACH.i was there when NORBERT took over,i remember we used to diesel up at all their depots Macon area,Chambery, wherever i was trying to remember the fill up half way down the Blanc,always agro drivers going in for coffee and leaving their motors…the rail track was near it…i never ate in there either.or clauses,or nowhere in FRANCE ,ONCE YOU HAVE BEEN ILL eating out you soon learned, well i did stuff the table wine and bread.

There are lots of men out there who tried ACH but never stuck it ,and lots who stayed for years more than me i was like a visitor .I have written it all down in book form but need someone to EDIT IT as you may tell my ENGLISH about eleven plus level.lol

you are also correct no trailer boxes all kept in the volvo/or scania, side lockers i never got a Magnum as i was never permanent it was the hardest job around but the money was good ,no one never new what anyone else got paid.

The Bakehouse was the first night from leaving CALAIS,en route ATHENS via Brindisi OR Bari ,that was the only time i would have stopped as running with another driver normally ON ACH YOU DID WHAT YOU WANTED… i never met a man on there that was no good all individuals but good men…most of the regulars had regular runs but us /me and others would get the raw end of jobs but who cared, i did not just moaned, like all ,but always kept going back for more every week.but i still did my own grub…

Ate in French routiers all the time. Was never even once ill from their excellent grub! Robert

Bakers at the Bakehouse? I’m not sure if this actually the Bakehouse, but this is one of Phil Dibdens (RIP) photos and the last time I spoke to him, he told me he thought it was taken at the Bakehouse. Its not the best quality but it has got atmosphere!

LR Man:
Bakers at the Bakehouse? I’m not sure if this actually the Bakehouse, but this is one of Phil Dibdens (RIP) photos and the last time I spoke to him, he told me he thought it was taken at the Bakehouse. Its not the best quality but it has got atmosphere!

Hi LR Man that cant be the Bakehouse as parking was just on the side of the road from my memory and certainly would not have accommodated loads as wide as that, don’t even think it was tarmac and leaned into the curb and every truck that went by would make yours shudder with the draft force, Buzzer.

YES BUZZER 100% CORRECT .NOT THE bakehouse…,as you have read read i only stopped there if on transit to GREECE with another driver. I was Like yourself a Fridge man. mostly meat… ACH only used fridges [rented] in the summer for the fruit return loads from GREECE or ITALY carrying outward bound photo paper from KODAK THAT was not food, however we would run sunday ,fridge at +5 [taking a chance ] from the BAKE HOUSE UP TO THE blanc beating the sunday ban ,it worked every time, i did not know of any one ever getting a pull in FRANCE…while doing that…i like you regular farm/small holding pieces .dbp.

JUSt a true story about the bake house although NOT a fan of the place,enroute to greece with a smashing bloke i will name him PETE REYNOLDS A scouser we were so ■■■■■■ one saturday night ,if you remember there was a slight incline ,brow of the hill-ish,this is gods honest truth, pete and my self got two chairs and sat on the middle lane of that road ,must have been well after midnight,and just sat there untill i think i said im off to bed and left him there.we were away in the morning by 8 0clock non the wiser…if facton the monday getting of at PATRA it was my birthday 40 i think and i did not tell him…because i new what would happen mind you i was as bad as him…drinking…i new he went back up north to run a pub ,i think.and he worked for a fridge company from skelmersdale black motors …a long time ago…i bet he has never told anyone about that lol good old days see i was not a stick in the mud i just liked cooking in my cab…pdb.

I have been looking on Google maps trying to find the Bakehouse by following the road from Macon to Borg.

If i recall it was on the right hand side of the road going down. With many miles under the belt and the brain a bit fogged I thought it had parking off the road, not just on the verge.
I cannot see any building I recall as the BH. Can any one advise where it is or even a picture ■■?

Thanks

Could this be it now ?
Kind of looks like it could have been & the road has the right layout as far as I can remember.

google.co.uk/maps/@46.27598 … 312!8i6656

I think you are right. That road looks familiar and the us stop also i remember.

Thanks for looking on the google and your thoughts as to where it is, I did look at this building but it seemed to new, it may well be it had been rebuilt or refurbished. I also thought it was a little bit past or before the village,as I remember trees on side of road when pulling out, I do not recall a right turn past the building either but could be wrong.

I recall as you entered the door the long tables were to the left, to the right of the front door was a small bar top with bottles behind. They may well have been tables to the right past the bar top, I only ever sat to the left of the front door. I would arrive late afternoon on the way out have a snooze, then a meal, keeping off the booze then carry on.

Funny that I still can recall where the drops I used to do were but not the BH, I didnt do Italy every week like some of the drivers did, I ran with a mix of Europe Greece and the commie bloc, I did a few to M/E but my trips must have been uneventful when I read the stories on the Astran ect postings.

Dodgy Permit:
Could this be it now ?
Kind of looks like it could have been & the road has the right layout as far as I can remember.

google.co.uk/maps/@46.27598 … 312!8i6656

That’s not the Bake House. The Bake House was not in a village but stood on its own.

David