J. & W. Watt Limited

Here are some fantastic photos of J & W Watt, I note that the Sedon Atkinson appears to have a Rolls Royce engine in.

greek:
You dirty old Ram Kev That would prob be the Eddie I was asking about I was also a regular Cannons Marsh man :smiley:

Sorry Kenny, just noticed your post from months ago, Eddie was the name I was thinking of,
he was known to the ■■■■■■■■ lads as “the boys man” , he really was very small.
His small stature never affected his performance as a “fanny magnet”. the last I heard he
was working for Fosters I think. By the way whats a ram :blush: :blush: :blush: .
regards Kev.

There must be some older photos of Watts motors I remember lots of Albions in the 50/60s era, Regards Larry

am i right in saying that the transport side packed in,but kept the warehousing,i’m sure i loaded there for martin oliver,but i cant remember if it was paint tins,plastic bottles or metal box.

kevmac47:

greek:
You dirty old Ram Kev That would prob be the Eddie I was asking about I was also a regular Cannons Marsh man :smiley:

Sorry Kenny, just noticed your post from months ago, Eddie was the name I was thinking of,
His small stature never affected his performance as a “fanny magnet”. the last I heard he
was working for Fosters I think. By the way whats a ram :blush: :blush: :blush: .
regards Kev.

If hes working for Fosters I might have seen him , I did the Carlisle Steam rallie with the Transit & they organise it.

glenny54:
am i right in saying that the transport side packed in,but kept the warehousing,i’m sure i loaded there for martin oliver,but i cant remember if it was paint tins,plastic bottles or metal box.

Yes they were warehousemen after packing in transport.

Who did J & Watt haul for? I know of Spillers (Maryport), Marchon and Uniroyal ( Dumfries )

georgeking:
Who did J & Watt haul for? I know of Spillers (Maryport), Marchon and Uniroyal ( Dumfries )

Tyne Brand from Grasslot, numerous firms out of Scotland and coil carriers out of Gartcosh. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

georgeking:

Tyne Brand from Grasslot, numerous firms out of Scotland and coil carriers out of Gartcosh. Cheers Dennis.

Tyne Brand from Grasslot is Spillers (Maryport), or the jam factory as locals called it, Stobart eventually got the contract.

Where else out of Scotland did they haul from?I remember them hauling for Vevers Scotch Lamb from Annan, it looks like most of their work was out of Scotland and not ■■■■■■■■ I assume that the Watts were Scottish?

Is this one of their old ones?

That Scania 111 was one of their sub contractors. They only owned Seddon Atkinsons 400’s and ERF B series and before that Seddons and ERF A series. Although I was once told that they had a couple Volvos on Middle East work I am not sure if this is correct or not though.

They never appeared to have a consistent livery some had white roofs others had green, they were all two green but in very different combinations look at the difference between the Scania’s and ERF’s on this thread, and the Seddon on the ■■■■■■■ thread.

The most unusual livery that I’ve seen of theirs was around 1980, it was an old Seddon parked up in a service station, it had a red chasis and red bottom third of the cab with a green stripe and the top third of the cab being white, I only saw this livery once.

I remember one of their drivers living in Broughton near Cockermouth he used to do all the shunting to and from West ■■■■■■■ and I remember another one of their lorries always parking up in Dumfries.

Bewick mentioned that they hauled out of Gartcosh, it appears that ■■■■■■■■ hauliers like J & W Watt, Kirkbride Transport Services, J & H Henderson and Burnholme Transport did all the haulage out Gartcoch, how did they manage to get this work ahead of Scottish hauliers or were the Scottish Hauliers only interested in hauling out of Ravenscraig?

georgeking:

Geo. D Vivers, Annan. (Meat Rail fridge work)
Tyne Brand, Maryport.
Albright & Wilson, Marchon,
Webb Offset Printers, Carlisle
Pirelli, Carlisle
Nestle, Dalston
Cheri Foam, Silloth
Tredaire, Dumfries

These were some of the main customers for Carlisle depot traffic.

georgeking:
That Scania 111 was one of their sub contractors. They only owned Seddon Atkinsons 400’s and ERF B series and before that Seddons and ERF A series. Although I was once told that they had a couple Volvos on Middle East work I am not sure if this is correct or not though.

They never appeared to have a consistent livery some had white roofs others had green, they were all two green but in very different combinations look at the difference between the Scania’s and ERF’s on this thread, and the Seddon on the ■■■■■■■ thread.

The most unusual livery that I’ve seen of theirs was around 1980, it was an old Seddon parked up in a service station, it had a red chasis and red bottom third of the cab with a green stripe and the top third of the cab being white, I only saw this livery once.

I remember one of their drivers living in Broughton near Cockermouth he used to do all the shunting to and from West ■■■■■■■ and I remember another one of their lorries always parking up in Dumfries.

Bewick mentioned that they hauled out of Gartcosh, it appears that ■■■■■■■■ hauliers like J & W Watt, Kirkbride Transport Services, J & H Henderson and Burnholme Transport did all the haulage out Gartcoch, how did they manage to get this work ahead of Scottish hauliers or were the Scottish Hauliers only interested in hauling out of Ravenscraig?

They did have a few of F88’s on international work, a couple of them being left hookers running in the Frozen Fare livery, these were acquired when Watts initially bought Frozen Fare who were from Northallerton I think?

The Seddon with the red stripe could have been one which was bought from Ken Thomas of Guyhirn but the top part would have been cream?

In about 1980 the livery was changed, the cab roofs became white and the centre section of the grilles on the ERF’s were painted white and the chassis was painted green instead of aluminium, because vehicles were kept for longer in those days it did make the fleet look a bit odd with most of the older lorries running in the old livery.

georgeking:

Bewick:

georgeking:

Tyne Brand from Grasslot is Spillers (Maryport), or the jam factory as locals called it, Stobart eventually got the contract.

Where else out of Scotland did they haul from?I remember them hauling for Vevers Scotch Lamb from Annan, it looks like most of their work was out of Scotland and not ■■■■■■■■ I assume that the Watts were Scottish?

Hi George, Jack Watt was a ■■■■■■■■ gadgy like eh!

Well in the 80s J.W.Watt used to store paper for the press on Dalton Road, we used to deliver there from Blyth two loads a day, a quick turnaround, and a good earner, Happy days Larry.

Diff Lock:

georgeking:

They did have a few of F88’s on international work, a couple of them being left hookers running in the Frozen Fare livery, these were acquired when Watts initially bought Frozen Fare who were from Northallerton I think?

The Seddon with the red stripe could have been one which was bought from Ken Thomas of Guyhirn but the top part would have been cream?

In about 1980 the livery was changed, the cab roofs became white and the centre section of the grilles on the ERF’s were painted white and the chassis was painted green instead of aluminium, because vehicles were kept for longer in those days it did make the fleet look a bit odd with most of the older lorries running in the old livery.

Out of interest how many did they have in the Frozen Fare livery?

Thanks again yes it was in Ken Thomas’s livery but it had a JW on the door, like this one
Imgur

Diff Lock:

georgeking:

Geo. D Vivers, Annan. (Meat Rail fridge work)
Tyne Brand, Maryport.
Albright & Wilson, Marchon,
Webb Offset Printers, Carlisle
Pirelli, Carlisle
Nestle, Dalston
Cheri Foam, Silloth
Tredaire, Dumfries

These were some of the main customers for Carlisle depot traffic.

Thanks for this I never realised that they hauled out of Nestle & Pirelli.,

georgeking:

Diff Lock:

georgeking:

Out of interest how many did they have in the Frozen Fare livery?

Thanks again yes it was in Ken Thomas’s livery but it had a JW on the door, like this one
Ken Thomas TCH615L from Guyhirn near Wisbech | Seddon 32.4 a… | Flickr

Hi George,
there were two Seddon Atkinson 400’s UHH 814S & UHH 815S and three ERF B series VAO 134S to VAO 136S (I’m a bit unsure about the ERF’s)

3808442022_b715df54e9_m.jpg
Watts Seddon

Frozen fare/ Watts subbie unit

greek:

kevmac47:

greek:

regards Kev.

If hes working for Fosters I might have seen him , I did the Carlisle Steam rallie with the Transit & they organise it.

that would be Eddie Armstrong, little blonde haired fella, he once led me astray while parked on Cannons Marsh for the night, we ended up in Vicky’s club about half a mile from the lorry park after a session on the “Lochiel” ( floating pub) me being young and niave didnt realise it was a ■■■■■■■■■■ until we were in there … LOL